2018 Southland Conference Tournament

9,325 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The tournament is finally here, and time for the dozens of fans to pile into the Merrell Center in Katy. The last night of the season made some changes to the brackets. Corpus slips in, and Lamar drops to the sixth seed. Here is my take on the opening night of the tournament.

Wednesday:
#8 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs. #5 New Orleans, 5:00 pm, ESPN3
Corpus clinched a spot in the final game of the season, New Orleans bumped up to the #5 spot after a Lamar loss. Last year this was the final game of the tournament with New Orleans punching their ticket to the big dance. This year the winner has to win three more games in order to reach the NCAA tournament.
New Orleans started the year strong, but struggled through the meat of their schedule. In fact, the Privateers ended the year on a three-game skid and losers of four of their last five games. Add in the loss of Travin Thibodeaux, and the Privateers are hurting right now.
Corpus is on the other end of the spectrum. The Islanders struggled to start the season, but picked up steam late. Corpus won three of their last four games to slip into the tournament, including crucial victories over Abilene Christian and McNeese.
I think we get a bit of an upset special here. When you hit tournament time, it is all about riding the hot hand, and in this case that would be the Islanders. Maybe Isaac can throw in info on Thibodeaux and whether or not he will be back. Assuming Thibodeaux isn't there, I just can't bet against Kilgore and company in this one.

#7 Central Arkansas vs. #6 Lamar, 7:30 pm, ESPN3
This game is a tale of two highly touted teams that seemed to disappoint during conference play. When on, Central Arkansas features one of the most explosive offenses in the country. Unfortunately for the Bears, consistency is not a strong suit. An example of this would be Central Arkansas never stringing together a streak of more than three wins during conference play.
Lamar entered the season as a huge favorite to win the Southland. The Cardinals looked the part during non-conference, but fell apart when games began to matter. Doesn't mean Lamar didn't rebound, as a nice stretch of six wins in seven games gave the Cardinals a lot of momentum going into the final game of the season. Sadly Lamar would lay an egg in Lake Charles, falling to the Cowboys, dropping from the fifth to the sixth seed and earning the toughest road to the NCAA tournament.
Neither team is special on the road, but when you live and die by the three-pointer, it makes it especially difficult. Tack on a fired up Lamar team, and I think the Cardinals survive this dogfight of an opener. What does that do? Set up a third showdown against an SFA squad that they have beaten twice this year, convincingly at that.
nacluth
Agree with your analysis. Lamar dropped from fourth and a first round bye to sixth with the loss. Now that is a bad loss. McNeese wanted in, but Corpus bumped them in the end.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Maybe UCA and Lamar will go into itriple overtime and they will be worn out for us. Lol
nacluth
Well it sure won't hurt whoever we play, that they'll have a tough game on their legs already when they play us. That extra step could make a big difference.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Nicholls and Lamar losing really made our side of the bracket absolutely brutal for everyone involved.
No-look
Hopefully with our depth we can rest some legs with a good win.
sfa17
No rest please. Time for is right now until our first game
nacluth
UNO takes care of business to meet Sam. Now let's see what Lamar/C. Ark can do.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Watching Lamar-UCA on ESPN3. Looks like UCA has about 12 fans in the stands and Lamar about 50. What a crowd!
nacluth
Right now, this game is wide open. If this pace continues, this will be C. Arkansas' game. You do not want to go toe to toe with Howard.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nzeakor is the only player who is keeping Lamar in this game. Lamar is not shooting the ball the way they did in either game against SFA.
cboothe09
Pretty horrendous shooting for Lamar. UCA's ability to get to the free throw line giving the Bears an edge...Every bit of the grinder I expected
nacluth
Agree. I think UCA's amped up pace has kept them from settling in to their half court offense. They're getting plenty of shots (12 more than UCA at this point), but they are tight. The Bears are hitting 50% though.
nacluth
Lamar came out hot. Driving and dishing.

One good thing: there is a lot of running in this game. Putting the miles on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Officials are letting them play. Not a lot of ticky tac fouls being called.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ESPN has about three commercials tonight. Same ones over and over and over... Geeezzzz...
nacluth
They are definitely letting Weisbrod walk. He duck shuffles his feet every time he gets his hand on the ball. If your pivot place moves a foot, it's not a pivot.
nacluth
Nziekor is already cramping? He's not through the first game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Would someone PLEASE give that girl a latte???
nacluth
Are you ready for the Masters Ed?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Are you ready for the Masters Ed?
No comprendo, mi amigo.....
nacluth
Lamar has scored 2 points in the final 9 minutes of the game. Now that's a bad end to your season. To be fair, neither team has played very good, but Lamar went ice cold.
nacluth
Thought you're referring to the commercials. I see the coffee one and the Masters one over and over.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UCA it is........ Bring 'em on! Axe 'em, Jacks!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Thought you're referring to the commercials. I see the coffee one and the Masters one over and over.
Yeah, the latte coffee one, about 15 times in a 90-minute game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Here is my take on the opening night of the tournament.

Wednesday:
#8 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs. #5 New Orleans, 5:00 pm, ESPN3

I think we get a bit of an upset special here. When you hit tournament time, it is all about riding the hot hand, and in this case that would be the Islanders. Maybe Isaac can throw in info on Thibodeaux and whether or not he will be back. Assuming Thibodeaux isn't there, I just can't bet against Kilgore and company in this one.

#7 Central Arkansas vs. #6 Lamar, 7:30 pm, ESPN3
I think the Cardinals survive this dogfight of an opener. What does that do? Set up a third showdown against an SFA squad that they have beaten twice this year, convincingly at that.
First round winners: UNO and UCA. Don't go to Vegas anytime soon, 09. ">
nsubroski
UCA riding Howard to a win.

Fun fact by the way

UCA 8 in conference losses.

7 to teams in the top 4 (2 wins Sam/ SFA)

6 of those by 7 points or less (lost to SFA by 25)

No easy outs on this side of the bracket.

nacluth
edstile said:

He doesn't have to. He's winning right here in Nacogdoches - killing it in the Prediction Contest!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

edstile said:

He doesn't have to. He's winning right here in Nacogdoches - killing it in the Prediction Contest!
Much better odds in Nac than in Vegas anyway...
cboothe09
Shot my shot and missed...Oh well...
SFA Jack Fanatic
At the UNO-Prison Tech game there are exactly 35 UNO fans in the stands (I counted heads) and approximately 80 or so Prison Tech fans. I hope our crowd tonight shows these folks what a real MBB fan base looks like.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The sound system in this building is terrible. Can't understand half of what the announcer says. WJR is soooo much better than this place in many, many ways.
nacluth
Not the game SE Louisiana was looking for. Easy play for Sam.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Not the game SE Louisiana was looking for. Easy play for Sam.
Sam is crushing UNO. 31-15 rebound advantage. Looks like the issues caught up with the defending champs.
nacluth
This is where they could use Thibodeaux. His sitting out hurts.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.