Ok. State & Brad U.

8,307 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Cowboys are down 0-2 taking on #2 Baylor next. Where are they going to find wins in a decently strong Big 12? I don't know if they have enough to grab a 9-11 seed. I know it's very early, and I have tons of faith in the coaching staff. Just curious looking in if it's a full "rebuilding" year for Underwood.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Big12 is really tough this year. Brad is going to do big things at OSU, definitely rooting for him. Also, Brandon Averette is a really good player, sucks we missed out on him.
nacluth
Yeah, I'm rooting for him too. He's got the right mindset for a coach. I think he can get teams to win by force of will sometimes. But, this is a tough conference this year. Playing Baylor to the end was a good show. Starting 0-3 is tough. He's got some winnable games coming, but if he's 0-6 or so, it's going to be tough just to make quality wins this year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
0-4 now after the loss to Iowa State and playing soon to be #1 Kansas on Saturday. They are playing competitive in every game, but haven't yet learned how to win. They need a breakthrough game.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
He needs to get his own recruits in. Majority of the team are ford players. So I'm not surprised they are struggling plus the Big 12 seems like the best league this season.
nacluth
Well just watched OK State not be able to close out K State to put them at 0-6. Looking at their schedule just doesn't reveal many places to find wins. Brad U might not be going back for more tourney magic this year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
Brad got his 99th win at the end non conference play. The Big 12 wont give him is 100th so easily.
nacluth
Well, 2 wins in 3 days over Texas Tech and TCU. Neither just huge wins, but OK St. is trying to build momentum into the last half of their conference play. Some more wins could make them a hot team down the stretch. Next up Arkansas.
nacluth
Ok State putting together a little run. Should have lost tonight, but put together a crazy defensive stop with a last second dagger to win.
PurpleOut
Staff
They destroyed Arkansas the other day. 4 straight wins now.
nacluth
Watching the OK St. games, it's interesting to note that they were consistently being beaten on backdoor cuts and man-to-man breakdowns. The last four games Brad has pulled them into primarily zone or a tight man coverage that plays inside the arc. Essentially forcing teams to beat them from the outside. Now essentially Oklahoma had them beat except for a bad inbounds at the end of the game, but we looked a lot like that at the New Orleans game. I wonder if we'll see more of the compact defense moving forward.
sfa17
BU just beat #7. WVU (home). he is a legend
nacluth
They just missed knocking off Baylor for a second top 10 upset in a row. Soooo close.

They really need to win 5 or 6 of their last 7 to secure an at large bid. A tough task, but we know if anyone can coach them to a run. Not a team I want to face if they make it.
PurpleOut
Staff
Unless they fall completely flat they will be in. They'll get a bid over others just due to the strength of the Big12.
SFA Jack Fanatic
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-brad-underwood-a-sleepless-night-and-a-defensive-tweak-engineered-oklahoma-states-turnaround-134927347.html
nacluth
Thanks for the story Ed. Up in this thread I noted how it was clear they had changed their defense, but getting the back story on it is really nice. He's a good coach.
INiedrauer
Staff
It's so rare to find good P5 teams that successfully do pressure defense. WVU is obviously an exception, but look at how it's worked out for Shaka at Texas.
nacluth
Ok St. pummeled Texas today. Brad beat both Huggins and Smart in the tourney, and now has beat them both in his conference in the last two weeks. Good for him.

Also, after starting out 0-6, now the red hot Pokes have four extremely winnable games in the next two weeks that could have them 9-7 before two tough games to end the year. After that conference start, do you think anyone was thinking deep run in the NCAA tournament? Now it's starting to look realistic. I hope he doesn't accomplish TOO much his first year.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Down by 11 with ten minutes left, OK St. rallied past Oklahoma. OU didn't score a bucket in the last six minutes. Brad has his conference schedule locked up at 7-7 after starting 0-6. That guy can preach confidence. Two wins should get him in, but they will be tough.
nacluth
Another day, another quality win for OKSt. Now 8-7 trying to up their projected 7 seed.
sfa17
Sucks to be k-state. They could have had him. That's hilarious
sfa17
Kstate's student newspaper has had enough lol

Article:
http://www.kstatecollegian.com/2017/02/23/opinion-underwoods-return-to-bramlage-tough-to-swallow/
PurpleOut
Staff
Underwood has a very good claim to be the Big 12 COY.
SFAXE93
20-9; 9-7 and riding a 5 game win streak. The guy just wins wherever he goes, has this game figured out.
BigJack85
I think coaching is about 50% of the end result in college basketball. The other 50% is recruiting and support staff.
nacluth
OKSt just took Kansas to the wire but couldn't quite get it done. Going as the 5 seed with a bye to the Big 12 tourney.
nacluth
OKSt lost to Iowa St in their first game (quarters) of the Big 12 tourney. Losing their last three to Iowa St (twice) and Kansas isn't surprising, but their record - especially quality wins - is probably moderating their seeding. They're probably looking at a 6 or 7 but could sink to the dreaded 8 seed. Underwood has been clear he's hoping to get to the 6 seed, so he doesn't have to face a 1 or 2 seed buzzsaw in round two. Is this year too early for his sweet 16 run?
SFAXE93
Oklahoma State in at #10, so at least Coach Underwood continues his NCAA Tourney streak.
sfa17
I have okstate over michigan. Man, if u had asked me in november between us and okstate which team would make it to ncaa, i would have picked us lol
nacluth
That's the luckiest 10 seed. Michigan is in big trouble. Underwood will probably have his 3rd upset in 4 years from a double digit seed. And really, Louisville could be up for a tough game in that second round.
nacluth
Everyone is calling for Michigan to make a deep run this year completely overlooking OKSt. As if their losses to #1 Kansas and Big 12 Tournament champ Iowa St. has made them chopped liver. Who thinks Underwood prefers to be the underdog in this matchup?
sfa17
Ok state v Michigan the best game of the tournament so far. Michigan shot lights out. They made 16 3s and only won by 1 thanks to 2 clutch free throws. On another day ok state would have won.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Ok state v Michigan the best game of the tournament so far. Michigan shot lights out. They made 16 3s and only won by 1 thanks to 2 clutch free throws. On another day ok state would have won.
Coach Brad eliminated by one point for the second straight year. Excruciating for him, I'm sure.
nacluth
What an intense game! Really thought his defense could slow Michigan, but they were on fire. Oh well, I doubt this is the last we've seen. Just saying that his first year at SFA he beat a 5 seed. We're still better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.