Recruiting Questions (Inquiring Minds Want to Know)

9,839 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here are a couple of questions about recruiting for someone to answer. Purple? Isaac? Anyone else?

1) How early can a recruit accept a scholarship offer? For instance, if we offer a HS junior (e.g., current 2019 recruiting class) can he/she accept the offer immediately, or is there a certain time frame in which scholarships can only be accepted? Isn't the school taking a chance in that situation, since the kid could change his/her mind and reopen his/her recruiting later, leaving the school empty-handed later on? And aren't recruits taking a chance by not grabbing an offer early on, while waiting for "something better" to come along later?

2) How are official offers made? Via an official school letterhead document sent through snail mail, I assume?

3) Once all available scholarships have been accepted and slots filled for a particular year, does the coach immediately inform the other kids who have received offers that their original offer has been withdrawn? If so, how is that done? Also via formal snail mail?

Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, this mind does anyway...)

No-look
Great questions. I have been wondering the same questions.
No-look
Also is there a difference in an offer and an official offer?
nacluth
Good questions Ed. I have a friend whose daughter just got an offer for volleyball as a sophomore (to another non-East Texas school). The coach there has put a lot of pressure on her to commit in the next couple weeks.

The way I understand it is: if the kid commits, other schools cannot officially recruit the student. No outright coach's visits. No other offers. I believe they can still unofficially scout. It's good for kids because they can lock up a scholarship early in their high school career in case injury knocks them out. (There are ways for schools to get relief if this happens.) However, I don't believe there is anything keeping someone from breaking their commitment until signing day senior year. If they do, they forfeit their original offer (unless the school continues it). However, breaking a commitment has a certain stigma and you have lost recruitment time. However, if you don't commit early to rack up offers, your stock doesn't always rise, and you could lose offers.
sfa17
https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-basketball/10-things-you-need-know-about-college-basketball-recruiting%3famp

May answer 1 or 2 of your questions. If not it is at least a interesting read.
I think when it comes to contacting the players. The coach calls and texts the player regularly. So when the coaches of a school stops contacting the player. most recruits get the message. Same thing if recruit is not interested. Kinda sounds like my dating life..
PurpleOut
Staff
You can commit as early as you get the offer, there have been junior high kids get/accept offers. But that doesn't mean it's done. It's only a verbal agreement and not binding. The scholarship offer isn't actually official until the kids senior year of high school. Tons of things can happen like injuries, coaching changes, etc that may cause that kid not to sign, or actually have the school no longer offer them the scholarship.

And you can definitely recruit kids that are committed elsewhere, again it's only a verbal agreement that neither party has to abide by until a LOI is signed. Especially in football, kids flip their commitments on signing day all the time.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-basketball/10-things-you-need-know-about-college-basketball-recruiting%3famp

May answer 1 or 2 of your questions. If not it is at least a interesting read.
I think when it comes to contacting the players. The coach calls and texts the player regularly. So when the coaches of a school stops contacting the player. most recruits get the message. Same thing if recruit is not interested. Kinda sounds like my dating life..
That's a very good article! Lots of useful info. Thanks for sharing, 17. The last couple of paragraphs explain a lot about Coach K's grabbing of Fitzgerald. Sounds like MBB recruiting is a 24/7, 365-day dog-eat-dog world.
sfa17
yeah, no problem. Recruiting seems painful. I don't think i could handle the constant rejection. Imagine recruiting a player for months, visiting him and texting him regularly only to have a P5 school swoop in last minute. A P5 team who probably wont play the player as much. Then you just have to rinse and repeat. But hopefully, once in a while it works out.

And now players that are avg 8 points at Mid major schools their freshmen or sophomore year are transferring to P5 schools. We have been lucky to be able to hang on to the player we have. Keeping someone like Kevon who avg 14.5 points and shot 42 percent from the 3 point line his second year is vital. As long as we win and go to NCAA no point in transferring to p5
PurpleForever
Recruiting is fun, but very stressful for reasons you already brought up. Every coach is different but I'll give you a rundown of how it generally happens.

Coach sits down with athlete and discusses the team, school, etc. If the coach wants to offer them then at the end of the conversation the coach usually tells them what type of scholarship they have to offer. A lot of coaches will tell the athlete that they don't have to commit right then, but that they are also recruiting other players and the scholarship may be taken by somebody else. If the player commits then the coach counts that scholarship as taken for that class. Now if that recruit decommits before signing then the staff usually has some back up plans that they start chasing

If a player is offered but the staff signs somebody else before the player makes a decision then the staff does not typically contact the athlete. If the athlete does get back in touch then they just let him/her know that they no longer have any spots.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleForever said:

Recruiting is fun, but very stressful for reasons you already brought up. Every coach is different but I'll give you a rundown of how it generally happens.

Coach sits down with athlete and discusses the team, school, etc. If the coach wants to offer them then at the end of the conversation the coach usually tells them what type of scholarship they have to offer. A lot of coaches will tell the athlete that they don't have to commit right then, but that they are also recruiting other players and the scholarship may be taken by somebody else. If the player commits then the coach counts that scholarship as taken for that class. Now if that recruit decommits before signing then the staff usually has some back up plans that they start chasing.

If a player is offered but the staff signs somebody else before the player makes a decision then the staff does not typically contact the athlete. If the athlete does get back in touch then they just let him/her know that they no longer have any spots.
Thanks! That answers the last of my questions.
Gazette1
Any kid who is faced with life choices is quite possibly going to change their mind several times. It is not only stressful for the kids it is also stressful for the coaches and parents. Those kids are getting all kinds of advice from many different entities. I see that Karl Nicholas committed to us. Is that for 2019 or 2018. If it is for 2018 he will have to sit out a season via use of a redshirt season? Someone fill me in if I am incorrect and please answer those questions for me. If he signed for this year does that mean we have no more scholarships to offer a point guard or will we release someone else from their scholarship instead. I think that we still have interest in T. J. Washington.
TallTexan
Gazette1 said:

Any kid who is faced with life choices is quite possibly going to change their mind several times. It is not only stressful for the kids it is also stressful for the coaches and parents. Those kids are getting all kinds of advice from many different entities. I see that Karl Nicholas committed to us. Is that for 2019 or 2018. If it is for 2018 he will have to sit out a season via use of a redshirt season? Someone fill me in if I am incorrect and please answer those questions for me. If he signed for this year does that mean we have no more scholarships to offer a point guard or will we release someone else from their scholarship instead. I think that we still have interest in T. J. Washington.
I think that fills us up on scholarships for the year. A redshirt is still getting a scholarship.

As far as I know, we can't release kids from scholarship (nor should we IMO).
PurpleOut
Staff
Gazette1 said:

Take a look at the other threads on the hoops and recruiting forums. We've been discussing all of those topics for a while.
Gazette1
Of course you can take kids scholarships away from them. It's done all of the time. I was wondering if maybe grujiic or Fisher would be moving on to another school to open another scholarship for us.
sfa17
From what I've heard u can't take scholarship away but you can make it clear that the player will not have a role on the team in the future and suggest looking somewhere else. No player wants to be somewhere they are not wanted. But if the player wants he can stay. It would just be really awkward and a toxic to team situation. It is a contract so it works both ways. If a player wants to leave he has to get a release from coaches. The coach can refuse to release but that almost never happen bc that is toxic and frowned upon.
SFAJack_76
I knew a kid on a golf scholarship at SFA a few years back. It was a one year deal that got renewed each of his four years there.

So, are basketball and football four year scholarships or one year at SFA?
nacluth
I started SFA in physics on a one year scholarship to be renewed after reaching certain qualifications. I remembered one morning in November that I had an 8am physics class that I had forgotten about for two months. I strolled in to the second of three major exams. After not being able to answer a question, I did not return. I received a letter later that my scholarship would not be renewed.
Gazette1
Scholarships are always renewed on a yearly basis. Recruits of course would assume that they are for four years if they meet up to expectations and mind the Ps and Qs. It doesn't matter if it's SFA or a big twelve school. I've had this question answered by a former coach. SFA would likely not take one of our present players scholarships without finding them one at a D2 or NAIA school. If they found one at a D1 school the player would have to sit out a year before becoming eligible unless they have already qualified for a degree.
Gazette1
I wonder if Coach Keller has a wild card in Rance Cole and is expecting him to actually get playing time at the point.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Gazette1 said:

I wonder if Coach Keller has a wild card in Rance Cole and is expecting him to actually get playing time at the point.
I've never seen him in action, so I'm not at all familiar with him. Does he even have college-level talent (any college level)? Since he's a walk-on coming out of a small high school, with no scholarship offers, I'd find it hard to believe that he'd ever see the court for a D-1 team. (Just my uninformed opinion about someone I know nothing about...)

Gazette1
Yes, but it is highly unusual for a walk on to be red shirted and if he's still on the team come fall semester then you have to wonder. Most redshirts don't stay on more than a year.
sfa17
if Chase Winchester couldnt lock down a spot in the team. i doubt any walk-on will every do that at SFA.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

if Chase Winchester couldnt lock down a spot in the team. i doubt any walk-on will every do that at SFA.
Shows how much I was paying attention during the 2016 season, I had to look him up.
sfa17
Don't blame you. he had a couple of decent games/ minutes. Actually had higher PPG than Augustine. even though Augustine played twice the number of minutes. But the #'s from both guys were nothing to brag about. Winchester avg 5.8 minutes and 2.6 PPG and Augustine played 12.8 minutes and had 1.5 Ppg
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Don't blame you. he had a couple of decent games/ minutes. Actually had higher PPG than Augustine. even though Augustine played twice the number of minutes. But the #'s from both guys were nothing to brag about. Winchester avg 5.8 minutes and 2.6 PPG and Augustine played 12.8 minutes and had 1.5 Ppg
What did he end up doing after last season?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

Shows how much I was paying attention during the 2016 season, I had to look him up.
What??? The Texan didn't know something about SFA Athletics??? Amazing!!! (Maybe that contaminated California H2O is having an effect on his already-taxed brain cells...)
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

What did he end up doing after last season?
Transferred to Casper College in Wyoming. Performed fairly good for a 22-10 Juco team. Averaged about 14 ppg and 3.4 rebounds. 2.0 assist to turnover ratio. Played 30 minutes per game.
sfa17
he transferred to a JUCO team (Casper Thurderbird). He started 22 games and Avg 14.1 Points and 5 assists. If that walk-on can't get on the team no walk on can.
Gazette1
Coach Keller stated on the announcement of the signing of Karl Nicholas that Karl was the 17th rated recruit from the state of Texas in 2017. That is incorrect. That is what they had in his bio at Montana. Rivals had him as the 60th rated recruit from Texas in 2017. The Chronicle had him rated as the 16th best recruit from the Houston area. Oops!
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

he transferred to a JUCO team (Casper Thurderbird). He started 22 games and Avg 14.1 Points and 5 assists. If that walk-on can't get on the team no walk on can.
Dang, I wonder where he'll end up after JUCO.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

What??? The Texan didn't know something about SFA Athletics??? Amazing!!! (Maybe that contaminated California H2O is having an effect on his already-taxed brain cells...)
Lol, it's not the contaminated air messing with my brain, it's the lack of good food.

And seriously, this air is no joke. I'm out in the desert right now so it's pretty clean, but as soon as you get close to the San Bernadino mountains, you can barely see more than a few miles because of the LA Smog. Absolutely bonkers.
Gazette1
Man caused global warming is a certainty. Why do you think that we stay sick with respiratory illnesses all of the time? Tall Texan, H2O is water. Oxygen is O2.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

Dang, I wonder where he'll end up after JUCO.
Here:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.