Highland Park vs. Manvel HS State Football Championship Game

3,197 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you didn't get a chance to watch the Highland Park vs. Manvel Class 5-A Division I State Football Final, you missed a classic, maybe the best state championship game in any class in Texas UIL history. Highland Park 53, Manvel 49.

The game ended with Manvel on Highland Park's one yard line. The Highland Park QB, Jerry Jones' grandson, passed for over 550 yards. Highland Park came from 10 points behind in the last two minutes to win it.
SFAJack_76
It was a great game. One of those that it is a shame either team has to lose. Glad they did not go to OT. Kids were gassed on both sides.

Jones played one heck of a game. He improved dramatically from last year. His leadership was the key. Every time Manvel scored, he was like "no problem, we got this."

Bucket list item is to go to Jerry world for all 12 games. It is hard to beat Texas high school football.
nacluth
Back when I was in high school 25 years ago, Nacogdoches went to the 5A State Playoffs against Highland Park. We're a historically bad team, so this was pretty awesome. Leading at the end, we watched their kicker hit a 54 yarder to win the game in the last second. Highland Park can burn for all I care. Not over it.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Really wanted Manvel to get the win. Complete choke job by the Mavericks.

As for best finish? Still goes to the '94 game between John Tyler and Plano East...That game was WILD
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Really wanted Manvel to get the win. Complete choke job by the Mavericks.

As for best finish? Still goes to the '94 game between John Tyler and Plano East...That game was WILD
Not as much a choke job as a very good HP QB and receivers, Manvel defensive backs that were gassed, and a well-placed and fortunate bounce on an onside kick.

And I have to agree. That JT and Plano East game takes the cake. I had forgotten about that. I think I still have the highlights from it recorded on an old VCR tape somewhere in the bowels of my garage.
SFASawmillGuy
Quick Clint Conque! Recruit Jerry's grandson so we can get all his money!
That's how it works right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.