Sawmill traffic

3,126 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been thinking a lot about how big a draw the Sawmill can create for SFA Sports traffic (I think it's pretty huge). Our little online community has started to really click up on the daily views - which if you haven't noticed has also started to bring out the forum spammers. I've compiled a little bit of data about the site. This is not particularly scientific, but it's good enough to give you an idea of the numbers we're talking about.

These are the number of views and posts on threads started in the last two weeks. Obviously, this does not include many threads which were started before that time period and are still active. This is to help signify recent activity. Take it for what it's worth.

William R Johnson (Basketball): 19,140 views - 564 posts
Homer Bryce (Football): 4,276 views - 142 posts
General Discussion: 515 views - 28 posts

Apporiximately 2,000 views in all other subforums.

So in all over the last two weeks on threads started in that time period, we're averaging about 1,700 distinct views a day and a little over 50 posts a day.

I don't know particularly how the viewership counter works, but I would assume that it doesn't just track every time I refresh a feed, but it might after every new post. Even so, I bet our top 5 posters on the forum draw a significant number of views by themselves. Just some food for thought.

1700 views a day I believe is pretty significant traffic for a website. I have several personal and business websites and if all combined they reached 100 views a day, that would be a fabulous day. One thing to note as well is that this is just forum traffic. The Sawmill is an impressive site despite the forums (needing some obvious updates), but it could generate some non-forum views. Again, the 1700 is the bottom amount of views possible through this time. Total views probably eclipse 2k/day.

Sorry to harp on this right now, but as the sole website corporate sponsor I feel like I can ask for money for the site without being two-faced. Isaac hasn't been promoting the pay-in option (and I know several of you have) until he gets the website to where he wants it. However, like all good ventures, this one needs some capital too. Just consider where you put your time into and if it makes sense for you to donate to the site somehow.

Anyway, just some food for thought for the other forum members, where would you like to see this site go? This is an important question now that we seem to be getting some solid in-season traffic. How could the site attract more corporate sponsors? What would you like to see in the Premium content delivered by the site?

If you're the kind of person that is "only free Internet content please," then this conversation may be beyond you in terms of helpful conversation, but I welcome it to start with. Remember this is a community that is only going to keep going with the input of its members...and the dedication of its staff (aka Isaac). Please chime in even with just a simple thanks.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic

Excellent facts, figures, and commentary, Ryan! I, too, have wondered why Isaac hasn't promoted Premium membership more. Many visitors to the forums probably don't even know what the big "P" beside users' names even means.

This is a great site, definitely better than anything in the SLC and better than most fan websites across the country at any level. Users should consider helping it survive and grow by becoming a Premium member! Lots of fun and valuable information about SFA sports and the university. Worth every penny!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree with Ed...this site is a truly valuable resource to the true SFA fan. We get insight, podcasts, great columns and often get news and info that the average fan probably never hears. We can snipe, gripe, whine, commiserate, cheer, exchange info with all the fellow members....people who really love SFA sports.
Back in mid October after the UCA game I was deciding what amount to renew my Varsity Club membership (Needs a better name) and said "self....get off your duff and join the Sawmill first for all it does for me and fellow Jack supporters"...so I did, and quite honestly shouldn't have waited so long....Glad to be on board.

BigJack85
I'm a frequent poster and a big proponent. Great info. I do whatever I can to support!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a thought (for Isaac, really). Why not put a halftime ad on the big scoreboard at a couple of Lumberjack and Ladyjack games, perhaps a couple of games in which we would be expecting a larger than average crowd? I have no idea what the university charges for such a thing, but I wouldn't think it would be much. Think of the potential new users that would generate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.