Interesting Pac-12 NIL Deal

1,032 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA88
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Pac-12 announced Thursday that it is partnering with Tempus Ex Machina, a sports technology startup, to help athletes earn money from their personalized highlights immediately after games via social media...

...The company says it "can deliver every angle of every play from games, automatically provide a digital video clip, and deliver personalized highlights to each participating student-athlete available immediately after the games conclude."

They are starting with FB and BB.
SFA88
OpenDorse NIL Marketplace and Twitter are also involved and there will be pre-rolled ads. I think the way it works is the athlete gets their highlights after a game, post them to Twitter using this process, and gets paid for the views.

I wonder if the WAC could do something similar?
SFA Jack Fanatic
And the slow death of college sports continues. Nice job, NCAA, for letting this poison loose.
SFA88
The NCAA has really screwed things up but NIL was the Supreme Court decision. There ARE rules regarding how it is supposed to be done and the NCAA and none of the conferences enforce them.

This setup would probably pass because the player is getting paid for their image.

I have mixed feelings. College football is just becoming a minor league. I suppose it always was with everything done under the table but I liked my ignorance. On the other hand look at how much Universities make and how much college football coaches get paid.

BTW if you haven't done so already, read (or skim, it's very long and includes the history of the NCAA) the court decision. It's not hard to read.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

The NCAA has really screwed things up but NIL was the Supreme Court decision. There ARE rules regarding how it is supposed to be done and the NCAA and none of the conferences enforce them.

This setup would probably pass because the player is getting paid for their image.

I have mixed feelings. College football is just becoming a minor league. I suppose it always was with everything done under the table but I liked my ignorance. On the other hand look at how much Universities make and how much college football coaches get paid.

BTW if you haven't done so already, read (or skim, it's very long and includes the history of the NCAA) the court decision. It's not hard to read.

I'm aware that it started via a court ruling. The problem is that it's out of control. Deep pocket alums giving bundles of cash to lure athletes from small schools to theirs, with nothing being done by the NCAA to stop them. The NCAA is controlled by those very same thieving schools, so they're in no hurry to end it.
SFA88
SFA88
I agree with everything you wrote. I will say it could have been worse but the players did not appeal the broader issues; I'm sure that's coming.

There are many schools in power 5 conferences that also can't compete. It's the world we live in so every school must do what it can even if it won't be as much as Alabama, A&M, and the rest.

Fixing the transfer portal would be a huge help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.