Tree to buy for the backyard?

3,741 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RedRiverLa
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wife and I have started talking about finding a tree to add to our backyard, was curious if anyone has any advice or experience with the subject.

I was planning on getting a redbud tree for her for Mother's Day (which may still be the plan), but anyone have any other suggestions for a smallish tree that would do well in North Texas, but also something that at some point would be pretty/colorful?
TallTexan
Dogwoods stay fairly small and provide some color. Tulip trees are gorgeous, small and bloom real early. A redbud is a great option. They bloom right in between tulips and dogwoods IIRC.

Do you want something that'd get big enough to provide lots of shade or more of an ornamental landscaping?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Dogwoods stay fairly small and provide some color. Tulip trees are gorgeous, small and bloom real early. A redbud is a great option. They bloom right in between tulips and dogwoods IIRC.

Do you want something that'd get big enough to provide lots of shade or more of an ornamental landscaping?
More ornamental really, we've got a long line of fence with nothing in front of it that we were just thinking something smallish would work well. Especially something that would have some color and liven up the yard. I don't mind something that gets to medium height.
nacluth
My father-in-law is a horticulturist. He suggested a Japanese Maple. There's a cultivar named Bloodgood. It will be medium height.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

My father-in-law is a horticulturist. He suggested a Japanese Maple. There's a cultivar named Bloodgood. It will be medium height.

Nice, I'll look into it. Thanks!
No-look
Crape murtles bloom nice in the summer
PurpleOut
Staff
Thinking about going with a Little Gem Magnolia. The Japanese Maple didn't do a lot for me to be honest.

Anyone ever had any luck with fruit trees in Texas? I had a nice small garden with some strawberries and vegetables in Washington, but the heat of the summer here seems like it would be challenging for some plants.
TallTexan
Ask me again in two years lol. We just put in 5 blueberries, a nectarine, and a Pomegranate.

In East Texas, I know people grow a ton of blueberries & peaches, so I'd imagine you could grow those in Dallas.

Here's some other options:
https://www.nhg.com/growing-fruits/fruit-trees-for-north-texas/

For a summer garden, you can grow lots in Texas, it just needs a closer eye on water. Squash, melons, corn, peas/beans & tomatos/peppers do pretty well.
nacluth
Growing up in Irving we had pears and cherry trees in our yard. Magnolias are great trees.

I have a huckleberry (the largest blueberry tree) in my backyard right now and it's a great small shade tree for the yard. Can't eat the fruit but it brings tons of birds.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Ask me again in two years lol. We just put in 5 blueberries, a nectarine, and a Pomegranate.

In East Texas, I know people grow a ton of blueberries & peaches, so I'd imagine you could grow those in Dallas.

For a summer garden, you can grow lots in Texas, it just needs a closer eye on water. Squash, melons, corn, peas/beans & tomatos/peppers do pretty well.
Ha, I was looking at that link yesterday. Peach trees are what I'm thinking about the most.

My earliest of growing up was out in the country between Van and Mineola, and I remember my dad having a huge garden. Definitely remember a lot of blueberries and blackberries, and rows and rows of vegetables. Miss the country and the space to be honest.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Ha, I was looking at that link yesterday. Peach trees are what I'm thinking about the most.

My earliest of growing up was out in the country between Van and Mineola, and I remember my dad having a huge garden. Definitely remember a lot of blueberries and blackberries, and rows and rows of vegetables. Miss the country and the space to be honest.

I will say, it is real nice to be able to be out of town and driving down a backroad in 5 minutes.

One of these days, I'll just skip the town part all together, but my ranching aspirations currently far exceed my budget lol.
TallTexan
Anyone know where I can buy Muscadine berries?

I was thinking about some vines for my garden because I heard they grow real well, but I've never eaten them.
nacluth
There are plenty of wild ones around here. They are a little too tart/sour to eat. Plenty of people make muscadine wine.
RedRiverLa
Planted various trees in my yard over the years, but i have to say Im most pleased with the flowering white dogwood. Nice shade, manageable size, low maintenance and likes the Louisiana heat and direct sun. Also leaves very little ground clutter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.