Horse Racing

2,304 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is anyone else a fan of horse racing?

Today the Florida Derby will be run at about 5:30 p.m. at Gulfstream Park in Florida. It is a Grade 1 (top-level) race with a purse of $750,000. This could be the last thoroughbred race for quite a while since Gulfstream is expected to close after the race due to the virus, It will be televised on NBCSN.

My favorites in today's big race are Tiz the Law (considered by many to be the best horse in the East and maybe the best 3-year-old in the country), Ete Indien, and Gouverneur Morris. All three of those horses will almost certainly also be running in the Kentuck Derby, which has been postponed until the first weekend in September.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ed,
I used to be a big horseracing guy. Loved to play the horses and watch them run. Back in 97 I joined a partnership an "owned" bout 5% of a horse...Kristy Lynn's Halo. Around January 26th, she ran her first race for us at the Fairgrounds in New Orleans. $10,000 claimer...she went wire to wire and I had won my first race as a part owner. I was over the moon. Stayed in that partnership for several years and got into another. Probably have 60 or so win photos from those groups. Most all claiming races or maidens.
It was fun at times, through simulcasting, computer and live attendance I got to see the majority of races where I was involved. Met lots of folks (fellow owners, trainers etc.) spent time in the barns on the backside, had wins and disappointments but definitely not a money making enterprise as there are always plenty of out of the money finishes.
Got out a few years back....would probably do it all again if I had more $$$ than sense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ed,
I used to be a big horseracing guy. Loved to play the horses and watch them run. Back in 97 I joined a partnership an "owned" bout 5% of a horse...Kristy Lynn's Halo. Around January 26th, she ran her first race for us at the Fairgrounds in New Orleans. $10,000 claimer...she went wire to wire and I had won my first race as a part owner. I was over the moon. Stayed in that partnership for several years and got into another. Probably have 60 or so win photos from those groups. Most all claiming races or maidens.
It was fun at times, through simulcasting, computer and live attendance I got to see the majority of races where I was involved. Met lots of folks (fellow owners, trainers etc.) spent time in the barns on the backside, had wins and disappointments but definitely not a money making enterprise as there are always plenty of out of the money finishes.
Got out a few years back....would probably do it all again if I had more $$$ than sense.

I am a minor member of a partnership that owns three thoroughbreds in LA at Santa Anita. I just joined not long ago. Two of them are still running and one is going to the farm to hopefully have a baby or two. I don't expect to make much, if any, money. I just love horses. Until two years ago, I raised miniatures. I had 11 of them. They got to be more than I could handle (physically and financially) so I sold them. I've regretted it ever since. I loved those little guys and gals.

Looks like racing will be shut down for a while during the pandemic. Santa Anita's card for this coming weekend has been forced to cancel by the city of LA. That would have included the Santa Anita Derby, which is a big one. Some of the big wigs in Cali, including Bob Baffert, are trying to get it back on. I don't think they'll be able to.

BTW, I loved your comment about having more $$$ than sense. Apparently, I'm a member of that partnership, too.

The Florida Derby was good yesterday. I expected Tiz the Law to run away with it, and he did. It should be fun in the Fall when he goes up against Baffert's tremendous horses from the west coast, especially Nadal and Authentic. I watched all 14 races on the Gulfstream website. Had nothing else to do during my shut-in, so why not?? My wife was glad to get me out of her hair for a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.