Why Are iPads/Tablets Illegal to Use in Football?

3,849 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone explain why iPads and other computer tablets are illegal on the sidelines during football games, apparently all the way from high schools to the pros? That makes no sense to me.

Port Neches-Groves HS had to forfeit a district game recently because an iPad was spotted on the sidelines by a scout from Barbers Hill. And in the pros, QB's have to study still photos of plays and formations, rather than be able to view video clips.

What gives with that? What's the big deal? Is it also illegal in other sports? Someone explain, please.
cboothe09
I thought it was Crosby that turned them in, or did PNG forfeit the Crosby game because they were caught by the BH scout?
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

I thought it was Crosby that turned them in, or did PNG forfeit the Crosby game because they were caught by the BH scout?
BH turned them in. PN-G had to forfeit the Crosby game. The PN-G coach admitted that there was an iPad there but that nothing was done with it illegally.
cboothe09
From what I understand, all they were doing was keeping stats. Dumb rule, but since we follow NCAA rules in Texas, it's a no-no.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Still waiting for an answer to my original question. Anyone know?
nacluth
I think the thought is that it's an advantage that goes beyond general scouting. If you could have an app that essentially logs every play for the other team, and you could identify it in real time, it becomes a technological arms race instead of a true coaching/playing battle.

If on the field analysis is unchecked, it could fundamentally change the game. NFL knows it, and I think the message all the way down is don't computerize the game.

As a side comment, baseball is not this way. They are allowed much more leeway in on the field technology. However, percentages are much harder to quantify in the pitcher/batter individual battle. Every hitter knows where the pitcher likes to throw against batters like him, but the advantage isn't so great to take away the analysis. Fielding metrics have vastly changed how defenses play hitters. This is one reason why home run hitting (big swings) are overvalued in the current game. However, in team play with time between plays, analysis can be done in less than a second and could affect every play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

If you could have an app that essentially logs every play for the other team, and you could identify it in real time, it becomes a technological arms race instead of a true coaching/playing battle.

That makes a lot of sense, Ryan. Thanks. I'd be interested in hearing any others' takes on this. I haven't been able to find anything about the "whys and wherefores" on the internet. Has to be buried there somewhere.
nacluth
Read this article: Some states allow high schools to have unlimited technology as long as communication is somewhat limited.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/a-technological-arms-race-new-replay-devices-widen-the-gap-on-high-school-sidelines/2016/11/14/ffb59476-9c79-11e6-b4c9-391055ea9259_story.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.