Enrollment numbers

6,569 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
drhuggybear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At parents day weekend and Dr Patillo just announced that the student enrollment has finally surpassed 13,000. It is over 13,100 student in this enrollment year.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

At parents day weekend and Dr Patillo just announced that the student enrollment has finally surpassed 13,000. It is over 13,100 student in this enrollment year.
Yep, some awesome news for sure! My first year in 2009, we hit 12845 and all signs were pointing up, but then it regressed a bit since then.

I believe the old strategic plan had a goal of around 14500 for 2015, which we obviously didn't meet. I'd have to find the old plan to find the specific target/milestone. FWIW, the current goal appears to be 15k by 2023, which seems like a reasonable rate of growth.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/sfa.office.of.institutional.research#!/vizhome/SFAEnvisioned2015-2023_0/Story

Enrollment growth has long been a point of contention amongst the Sawmill community & the university admin. We're all glad to finally see it headed in the right direction. It's a huge relief.
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

Also, there are a few SFA Challenges & Opportunities threads from last fall that you might enjoy checking out. If I ever get more time, I might start a few more looking at what SFA does well & where we can improve as a university.
BigJack85
One of the keys I've heard is establishing more demand for our online course portfolio. Lamar has been successful showing enrollment growth while there on campus enrollment has stagnated or declined.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
Lamar is a diploma mill now. It is ridiculously easy to get a masters degree there. Especially for their education programs...
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Lamar is a diploma mill now. It is ridiculously easy to get a masters degree there. Especially for their education programs...

True Dat.
BigJack85
Just looked at the spring 2019 census. First spring in school history with more than 12,000 students. Yahoo. Axe 'Em Jacks!
BigJack85
Just looked at spring 2019 census. First spring in university history to enroll more than 12,000 students!

Axe 'Em Jacks
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Just looked at spring 2019 census. First spring in university history to enroll more than 12,000 students!

Axe 'Em Jacks
Awesome!
BigJack85
Listened to the presidents speech that was online. Sounds like they have finally started to really get serious about enrollment growth from EVERY ANGLE In the past my belief is that the university looked at enrollment growth through two lenses. 1) Do a better job advertising. 2) Continue to promote SFA's "traditional college setting" Finally they have built stronger alliances with junior colleges and offered more content online. I don't know for sure about the validity but client from the Beaumont area told me that Lamar only has about 6,000 - 7,000 students on campus. The other 6,000 are online or part time students.
drhuggybear
BigJack85 said:

Listened to the presidents speech that was online. Sounds like they have finally started to really get serious about enrollment growth from EVERY ANGLE In the past my belief is that the university looked at enrollment growth through two lenses. 1) Do a better job advertising. 2) Continue to promote SFA's "traditional college setting" Finally they have built stronger alliances with junior colleges and offered more content online. I don't know for sure about the validity but client from the Beaumont area told me that Lamar only has about 6,000 - 7,000 students on campus. The other 6,000 are online or part time students.
When we did our college visit there they said about 4000-5000 students are on campus. That was 2 years ago. Now there wasn't much comparison but my daughter being a deaf ed major had limited choices on schools. The college visits could not have been more different - night and day.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
BigJack85
When I meant on campus I really mean students that touch the physical campus. SFA is still either 1 or 2 in terms of residence. Very few commuters.
drhuggybear
BigJack85 said:

When I meant on campus I really mean students that touch the physical campus. SFA is still either 1 or 2 in terms of residence. Very few commuters.
Right. They said there were only about 2000 living on campus.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
BigJack85
Enrollment numbers should be coming in the next 4-5 days. Here's hoping we show another meaningful increase in enrollment while improving the quality of our freshmen class.
BigJack85
Doesn't look like meaningful growth. Enrollment down 1% to 12,970.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Doesn't look like meaningful growth. Enrollment down 1% to 12,970.

Dang. Well Dr Gordon, let's see what you've got.
nacluth
Sports were down (at least the major ones), but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Sports were down (at least the major ones), but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

My guess is it had no impact. It looks like almost all of the drop was in Masters level enrollment. School of Education. -230. Maybe some issues with a upper level grad school administrators.... just spit balling. Don't understand that one at all.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

My guess is it had no impact. It looks like almost all of the drop was in Masters level enrollment. School of Education. -230. Maybe some issues with a upper level grad school administrators.... just spit balling. Don't understand that one at all.

Holy cow that's a huge drop for that department.
Pilotgirl
Hmmm will have to do some digging...
BigJack85
Please do. Seems very unusual. If that area (Masters) had been static we would have seen a minor increase.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.