Ideas to become the best mid major program in the country.

11,609 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok everyone, I think we've all heard Ryan Ivey's introductory press conference by now & he's set a worthy goal, to become the best mid-major athletic program in the country.

So let's hear it. What's your best idea to help SFA get from here to the best program in the country? That's up with the likes of Gonzaga, North Dakota, James Madison, etc(don't quote me on these being the best, they just came to mind).

It can be a small idea from ways to get students to games to a big idea like how to get support for an on-campus baseball facility but let's hear it, what's your best idea/thought/plan to help SFA move forward to this goal?
TallTexan
I'm sure Ivey's putting together a strategic plan as he holds town halls, meets with backers, etc, but I wanted to see what you guys can put out.
Jacks4460
I have seen and participated in how the free food thing draws the students.. Not sure what the University has with Aramark but they need to not include Athletics or Atleast let the Athletic department control things... if they would lower prices on food and have a better variety that would draw students even when they aren't giving away free food..

We need to immediately build a Ath student wellness center for all athletes.. Sports Nutrtion,Academic help,life skills help all need to be housed there.. This will help with getting the recruits we need to win championships... Winning Championships will get student involvement..
SfaFan15
I'd be interested in seeing what affect serving beer at athletic events would have. UNT, SMU, UTSA, UH, and UL Monroe all serve beer, curious as to what its done for them in terms of attendance and revenue... May be a dead end though if the Southland doesn't allow it.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/
Jacks4460
I think having a big time DJ at the AG Pond before and after the football games will have the students flocking to games. DJ gets turned off at kickoff and students required to go to game then come back after the game for the after party.. Make it a circus atmosphere... Tarleton has an event at each home game and it rocks... They advertise it on all radio and such in Ft Worth and draw kids from all over the place for a free concert/party...Also go look at their campus they are building student housing everywhere I mean everywhere..They are finding that once the kids get down to Stephenville then they want to come back and give college a shot.. They are growing by leaps and bounds...
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Ok everyone, I think we've all heard Ryan Ivey's introductory press conference by now & he's set a worthy goal, to become the best mid-major athletic program in the country.

So let's hear it. What's your best idea to help SFA get from here to the best program in the country? That's up with the likes of Gonzaga, North Dakota, James Madison, etc(don't quote me on these being the best, they just came to mind).

It can be a small idea from ways to get students to games to a big idea like how to get support for an on-campus baseball facility but let's hear it, what's your best idea/thought/plan to help SFA move forward to this goal?
Since you never make mistakes, Texan, I'm sure it was just a typo. That should be North Dakota State.
djsfw57
How about someone in the athletic department contacting Mark Moseley? Former SFA great and NFL star, he is now the Director of Franchising for Five Guys. Don't even know if there is a Five Guys in the area, but it would be awesome to have them support/provide food for special events.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

How about someone in the athletic department contacting Mark Moseley? Former SFA great and NFL star, he is now the Director of Franchising for Five Guys. Don't even know if there is a Five Guys in the area, but it would be awesome to have them support/provide food for special events.
There is a Five Guys in Lufkin.
PurpleOut
Staff
We definitely need bigger and better sponsors and sponsorships. And as I mentioned a while back, we need to grow our Under Armour deal.
BigJack85
I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive comparison of our facilities versus the rest of the SLC. Rate each facility 1-13. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, soccer and track. Etc. Score each school just like the commissioners cup. Then prioritize based on need and strategic plan. I don't think it will be a big surprise that we are lacking in T&F , Baseball and Soccer. Football needs some refresh. Updated field house and bring the stands down closer to the field and move the track.

I could go on but I'm sure that's the reasoning behind hiring a space/facility assessment firm.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive comparison of our facilities versus the rest of the SLC. Rate each facility 1-13. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, soccer and track. Etc. Score each school just like the commissioners cup. Then prioritize based on need and strategic plan. I don't think it will be a big surprise that we are lacking in T&F , Baseball and Soccer. Football needs some refresh. Updated field house and bring the stands down closer to the field and move the track.

I could go on but I'm sure that's the reasoning behind hiring a space/facility assessment firm.
Agreed.

Considering we're at the top in terms of winning/Commissioners Cup and revenue year in year out, our facilities SHOULD be way above our competition. But it's not. But, that's almost a good thing if you look at it this way...we're only going to get better.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

We definitely need bigger and better sponsors and sponsorships. And as I mentioned a while back, we need to grow our Under Armour deal.
I bet when it comes to food sponsors the University is tied into Aramark... That deal needs to get broken up atleast on the Athletic side of things....
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

Agreed.

Considering we're at the top in terms of winning/Commissioners Cup and revenue year in year out, our facilities SHOULD be way above our competition. But it's not. But, that's almost a good thing if you look at it this way...we're only going to get better.
I guess it depends on how it's "weighted" in the end. We probably have the best (only Lamar is on par) Basketball facility. Our Tennis facility is near the best, Homer Bryce is probably just north of middle of the pack. Baseball is not bad it's just off campus and the kids need a locker room!!!
Pilotgirl
Jacks4460...you should be a betting person...SFA has a huge contract w/Aramark so they would have to use them for food stuffs...but it could and should happen! Free food...college kids will show up for that (I have a now Sr at SFA...she goes to the games w/me but this would be an even bigger appeal).
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

Agreed.

I wonder if this is something we could put together a fan version of with the other SLC blogs/forums. Just have the writers rank them & see what we get?

I'd love to see the AD department put it together though.
TallTexan
SfaFan15 said:

I'd be interested in seeing what affect serving beer at athletic events would have. UNT, SMU, UTSA, UH, and UL Monroe all serve beer, curious as to what its done for them in terms of attendance and revenue... May be a dead end though if the Southland doesn't allow it.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/
I haven't heard many complaints from the school's who did it. WVU even saw a decrease in alcohol related incidents after they started selling alcohol in the stadium.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2014/03/05/with-beer-being-sold-at-sporting-events-utpd-will-be-closely-monitoring-on-game-days

However, I wonder if it'd be a net positive with Nacogdoches' culture. IE, I wonder if our church going supporters/families would still attend.
TallTexan
Since I started the thread, I thought I would let you guys throw out the first ideas so as not to point the conversation in any particular direction and you guys had some great ideas. Some of my thoughts/ideas:

Small ideas:
  • Have a few digital billboards installed on campus that display game times on game day/the week of the game. Students who go in the student center or library should have no excuse that they didn't know when the next game is. Also, do some local advertising in town/local area.
  • Honor a faculty member at sporting events & advertise it in advance so their colleagues com. Goodness gracious do we need these guys on our side & need them to recognize how important sports are for the visibility of the University. Calling out a distinguished professor would give them some incentive to engage with Ivey & the team. We might do this already, I just don't remember it happening.
  • Strategic Fundraising Arm: We need a full-time fundraiser in the AD, in addition to Ryan. I put this under small ideas because a continuous fundraising arm seems like a no-brainer.

Big Ideas:

• Setup scheduling partnerships: There are other mid majors with our scheduling problems. We should have scheduling pacts with them, even if it involves some deals between football/basketball to get home & homes scheduled. Basically, move some of the scheduling to be the strategic purview of the AD so he can form relationship while coaches are focused on playing. Also Push for conference challenge formation. Scheduling will be huge to make sure that we're not at the mercy of SLC strength of schedule.
  • Market SFA sports regionwide: Market SFA sports(& University) as the de facto university of East Texas, from Tyler, to Paris to Shreveport, to Lufkin/Trinity. This is how we'll keep our stadiums packed, from getting locals involved in some regional pride in our university. This may also involved hosting some open practices around the area & engaging with other local sportswriters(Tyler Paper/Longview/etc).
  • Facilities Strategic Plan: We need a strategic plan for which facilities need to be built/improved. It'll be key to retaining coaches, attracting new ones, & bringing in fundraising dollars.
  • New University Leadership: As Ivey mentioned, sports are a marketing arm of the University. Ryan obviously sees the potential of the athletic department & also SFA the university and is ready to help us take the next step forward. Time for a President who is ready to move SFA forward as well. Let's capitalize on our potential!
BigJack85
Money, money , money.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Money, money , money.

Yep, that's mostly what it comes down to. I'm sure Ivey will be out there pitching big donors soon.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Money, money , money.

Yep, that's mostly what it comes down to. I'm sure Ivey will be out there pitching big donors soon.
He could use my help when pitching his vision and asking for $$...
TallTexan
He's been super responsive on twitter, I'd bet an email offering to help out would get a response.
PurpleOut
Staff
Made a post about how disappointed I was about the gear available to fans (I bought two "new" shirts, both below average quality/design/etc), and he responded almost immediately.

TallTexan
That's awesome. I grabbed some new gear while in town in June, but wish we had more high quality options.

Like, I'm not a thick cotton tshirt guy lol. Give me some tri-blend.

Glad Ryan's on top of things though. Also wonder why we still have a few Nike tees.
TallTexan
Anybody have any idea what it would take to get local HS football announcers to mention SFA's next home football game?

I think that could get some more butts in seats & position SFA as the de facto university of East Texas. I'm talking announcers from Nacogdoches to Jefferson to Tyler to Palestine. Cover the entire area within a 2 hour radius.

Westlake HS does something similar in Austin. During games they'd announce players they have playing on Saturdays & who they will be playing that week.

I think something like "Just a friendly reminder that your SFA Lumberjacks, the pride of East Texas, will be playing Nicholls tomorrow in Nacogdoches".

It'd be good marketing for the university, give people some chance to watch college football & market our football program.
SFAXE93
We have players from these East Texas towns.

Nacogdoches, Texas
Lufkin, Texas 3
Center, Texas
Carthage, Texas
Longview, Texas
Marshall, Texas
San Augustine, Texas
Elysian Fields, Texas
Atlanta, Texas
Hallsville, Texas
Huntsville, Texas 2 (well maybe not the best place to make an announcement about SFA football.)

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Huntsville, Texas 2 (well maybe not the best place to make an announcement about SFA football.)

I'd personally slip that fellow a C note to make that happen. Of course, he'd probably be fired on the spot.
SFA Jack Fanatic
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

I'd personally slip that fellow a C note to make that happen. Of course, he'd probably be fired on the spot.
And while I'm on this rabbit trail...

Does anyone else remember the stadium announcer at the Pittsburgh University game against West Virginia several years ago who was fired for announcing during the game "There's a tractor in the parking lot with its lights on. It has a West Virginia license plate number of E-I-E-I-O"? Yeah, that really happened!

Everyone in the stadium loved it. He was fired right after the game.
TallTexan
Don't forget Tamrick Pace from Brownsboro Texas!
SFAJack_76
Bumping this thread since there are various relative comments being made in different threads. PurpleOut posted this:

"I've never been in favor of leaving. We don't have the facilities, resources, and honestly the fan base to move up. However, if there was a way to form a different/better mid-major conference with different leagues in the southern states, then I'd be interested. Think about the top athletic departments from this league, the Sun Belt, CUSA, and maybe a few others. There would still be plenty of rivalries, decent travel, and better overall competition."

I agree completely with not being in favor of leaving the SLC for the reasons stated, but there must be a better conference alignment for us at some point. I am confident that SFA cannot be the best mid-major program in the country in the currently configured SLC under the current SLC leadership. Men's basketball with an RPI of 29/32. Women's modestly better at 26/32. Our Ladyjacks went 2-0 last week and saw their RPI drop 35 spots. Playing, and dominating, bad teams won't achieve the vision. SFA volleyball dominated last season going undefeated in regular and tournament play. The reward was to play the #5 team in the country in the round of 64. Our girls were capable of beating at least half of the teams in the field, but never got the chance.

First, we have to take care of our house. Nutrition, S&C, facilities. Hopefully, the new Token helps to pump up student, staff, faculty, and community involvement. If, three to five years down the road, the rest of the SLC has not made meaningful progress, something must change in our conference alignment. If we are to fulfill the vision.

BigJack85
I also agree. We don't have the right mix of fan base , facilities etc. Get us a solid baseball facility and a refresh of of Homer Bryce and a complete update of the field house.

I've written a lengthy dissertation (hyperbole) on our conference and the Big 4 as I describe them. Big 4 being SFA, Sam, McNeese and UCA. Beyond those four there's little going on Northwestern St could make the cut if they updated there basketball digs.

Hopefully the next round of realignment is positive for SFA
CertifiedAxeman98
I believe we need to position ourselves for when the Big 12's tv deal comes up in 2025. It will come up before that date probably 2 years before that and realignment will be fast and furious. We need to be ready to take advantage of it like Texas State and the others that left the SLC during the last realignment. I know that SAM looked at moving up I think in 2011 or 2012 they did a study and decided to stay. Ivey will need to do a similar study.
BigJack85
I hope we do. The SLC is just a load of crap. Especially with the addition of UIW and HBU which in my mind was a GIGANTIC mistake.

4-1/2 years ago we add Abilene Christian period.... Oral Roberts stays in the league and we conveniently split into two divisions of 6. New Orleans, SLU, Nicholls, McNeese, Northwestern and UCA - East. SFA, Sam, Lamar, Abilene, A&M CC and ORU - West.

Nice clean 9 team football conference.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'd be interested to hear what happened with ORU. That was very odd.
nacluth
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I believe we need to position ourselves for when the Big 12's tv deal comes up in 2025. It will come up before that date probably 2 years before that and realignment will be fast and furious. We need to be ready to take advantage of it like Texas State and the others that left the SLC during the last realignment. I know that SAM looked at moving up I think in 2011 or 2012 they did a study and decided to stay. Ivey will need to do a similar study.
Just curious about what part of the possible realignment do you think would fit into SFA's potential. Honestly I don't see the core of the Big 12 jumping ship, because there's nowhere to really go - except a lot more money on another media deal. Just curious to see what schools in Texas people think are in what tiers of sports power?

Tier 1: Texas, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU

Tier 2: Houston, SMU

Tier 3: UNT, UTEP, UTA, Rice, Texas State

Tier 4: UTSA, SFA, Sam Houston, Lamar

Tier 5: ACU, HBU, Prairie View, TAMU-CC, UTRGV, TSU

What you think? My criteria is that the school has to have the ability to be considered a tier higher (with continued success) in the next 5 years.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

I'd be interested to hear what happened with ORU. That was very odd.
I always thought that they were the darlings of the Summit League, and thought that they were hot stuff and would come in and start owning the Southland. But after two years of extreme butt whooping realized they liked being on top instead of at the bottom.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.