The SFA Brand

8,497 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by No-look
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Other than winning(which we do) how do you get the SFA brand out to the world? Something that recruits would see and want to come here. The big dance gets exposure and being the winningest team in Texas and the Kentucky of the Southland all helps. But is there another avenue that could be utilized? Marketing etc?
MasterAxe
That's a great question.

No doubt, winning is the fix-all. You win, no matter what the sport, you can get dudes.

When it comes to recruiting, sometimes I see us (especially in football) leave our roots. We are not at the level to recruit nationally, so why try? Even that, in most cases, we don't have to leave ETX.

I see an awful lot of football players from the immediate area NOT signing with SFA, but going to Texas State, North Texas, Directional School, Random Louisiana school.

Maybe it's our recruiting method,I'm not sure.

It's my opinion that we focus on too many "stat getters" from the Houston and Dallas areas that are on mediocre or bad teams, instead of the really good players from the exceptional East Texas schools that constantly win state championships or are making long playoff runs.

For example, we have ONE kid from Carthage signed in 2018. And he's a transfer from JUCO. They are the dominant power in East Texas...and we didn't get one kid?

I doubt any billboards or marketing materials helps recruiting athletes, but this I know does:

In football: Winning games and having players go pro.
In basketball: Winning games, winning championships and playing NCAA Tournament on national TV.

That's the way to get kids.

And if we still have that insane ratio of girls to guys...probably mention that.

PurpleOut
Staff
I think we need to leverage the Under Armour deal better, especially for hoops. And maybe that's what we're doing with the board and the new deal in place (or about to be in place). While they gave the team the new UA Curry 5s and the same Unleash Chaos top, they promoted their bigger schools a lot more. Gave them custom gear and constantly tweeted/retweeted and sent out tweets like below:

TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

And if we still have that insane ratio of girls to guys...probably mention that.

It certainly helped when recruiting Gru.
TallTexan
Purple out, this is one of those times that I wish we could rec staff posts.

I agree that getting UA in our corner to promote the program more would help. And some Lumberjack script jerseys.
SFAJack_76
Perhaps this is already posted, but don't care.

nacluth
Miss those slams! Glad to see people still get to appreciate him.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
We should send our team on a pre-season tour of Germany like Texas & UCLA did this season overseas. We could play pro & semi pro teams in the area.
SFAJack_76
For those of you with great ideas, here is your opportunity.

SFAJack_76
Seems like a good place to put this.

Jacks4460
I think the best way to get exposure would be to build first class living/training facilaties for our basketball players and thus getting top recruits and then they go to the NBA and so forth. I say leveraging UA deal also with Tweets,IG's,etc. There would have to be a huge investment by the University and its Alumni's into the basketball team but it could work and get more students on campus..
nacluth
One thing I know, when the game gets bigger, Walkup gets better.
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

I sure hope he gets a job in the NBA soon..
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacks4460 said:

I think the best way to get exposure would be to build first class living/training facilaties for our basketball players and thus getting top recruits and then they go to the NBA and so forth. I say leveraging UA deal also with Tweets,IG's,etc. There would have to be a huge investment by the University and its Alumni's into the basketball team but it could work and get more students on campus..
The Alumni are ready and able. It's the students and the rest of Nac that we need to get more on board. I want us to go all in on hoops.
Gazette1
The faculty is getting neglected when it comes to raises. Like it or not many of them complain about how much our coaches are paid. To attract more students you have to have a good faculty. The fact that our students voted down the referendum shows that students aren't motivated to come here because of our basketball prowess. We need Patillo to retire and to get someone in here that can attract more students. SFA has raised it's enrollment standards but what few people know is that when SFA doesn't meet it's enrollment quotas they suspend those requirements to fill them. I got that from Finklestein via Danny Kaspar. Almost all of the students that they allow in who do not reach the requirements flunk out the first semester.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

Jacks4460 said:

The Alumni are ready and able. It's the students and the rest of Nac that we need to get more on board. I want us to go all in on hoops.
True. Also maybe advertise more in surrounding counties. Newspapers, local radio sports shows, area tv sports segments. Reach out to local schools. Have a free admission to all area students for a game or games. Halftime activities geared toward students at designated game. Gererate excitement and get folks coming and a lot of them would stick....
PurpleOut
Staff
Gazette1 said:

The faculty is getting neglected when it comes to raises. Like it or not many of them complain about how much our coaches are paid. To attract more students you have to have a good faculty. The fact that our students voted down the referendum shows that students aren't motivated to come here because of our basketball prowess. We need Patillo to retire and to get someone in here that can attract more students. SFA has raised it's enrollment standards but what few people know is that when SFA doesn't meet it's enrollment quotas they suspend those requirements to fill them. I got that from Finklestein via Danny Kaspar. Almost all of the students that they allow in who do not reach the requirements flunk out the first semester.
The faculty deserve some criticism as well. Some of them are very vocal about publicly putting down the athletic department. A saw many tweets where students were advised by their professors to vote no on the referendum, without a true explanation. The majority of our students and a large portion of our faculty still have that same mentality that we suck at everything, don't do anything for the university, etc. A lot of ignorance that definitely hurts us from moving forward quicker.

And they do deserve to be paid more, but that's a whole different topic. But these same faculty members have NO idea how hard our coaches work (in all sports). They get paid the way they do because they work hard and win....which brings in more publicity AND money to the university. THAT'S the bigger picture that they need to see.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

Gazette1 said:

The faculty deserve some criticism as well. Some of them are very vocal about publicly putting down the athletic department. A saw many tweets where students were advised by their professors to vote no on the referendum, without a true explanation. The majority of our students and a large portion of our faculty still have that same mentality that we suck at everything, don't do anything for the university, etc. A lot of ignorance that definitely hurts us from moving forward quicker.

And they do deserve to be paid more, but that's a whole different topic. But these same faculty members have NO idea how hard our coaches work (in all sports). They get paid the way they do because they work hard and win....which brings in more publicity AND money to the university. THAT'S the bigger picture that they need to see.

Great input..I have the same take on the situation..
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Gazette1 said:

We really need to be able to rec/star staff posts. This one deserves it.
Txjack
Jacks4460 said:

nacluth said:

I sure hope he gets a job in the NBA soon..
Yup....Saw where his team played in the 3rd place game...Still holding out hope as well to see the Lumberjack GOAT in the NBA
TallTexan
Here's a question for somebody more NBA knowledgeable than me. How's Walkups NBA chances? Is this an SFA pipe dream, or does he have a real shot at playing in the NBA again sometime?
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Here's a question for somebody more NBA knowledgeable than me. How's Walkups NBA chances? Is this an SFA pipe dream, or does he have a real shot at playing in the NBA again sometime?

Thomas's best chance would be at point guard. I think his thing is he wants to play, not ride the bench. I'd love to see him in the nba. I think he could be successful in the nba. I think the interest in him really went down when he went over seas.
SFASawmillGuy
Unfortunately he's not playing the West Virginia talent that made him popular. He's consistently playing against mid major talent right now, which doesn't give him the best looks. I think his best chance would've been to stay in the D-League
Jacks4460
Don't get me wrong I would love to see him in the NBA but I would go wherever the $$ is...
Txjack
SFA_03 said:

Unfortunately he's not playing the West Virginia talent that made him popular. He's consistently playing against mid major talent right now, which doesn't give him the best looks. I think his best chance would've been to stay in the D-League
I agree; I was a little surprised when I heard he was playing overseas...I watched a few of the Windy City Bulls games when he played. From what I saw, it was not like, oh my God, he must be in the NBA now, but I did not see any reason why he did not have a shot.
Of course, this is coming from a guy whose scouting experience consist of coaching/refereeing grade school church league basketball...
No-look
Starting to notice local media taking a more aggressive role in covering SFA sports. Lufkin and Tyler doing a better job as of late.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.