2016 Memories

3,736 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like hearing about fan experiences - the where were you when kind of thing. So, I thought I would start a little thread if anyone had any memories to share. I know Matt (PurpleOut) wrote a great recap of his weekend in Brooklyn not long after it happened, but anything you would like to share, please do.

This week two years ago was a hard one for me. My youngest daughter had just been born two weeks prior, and complementing all the purple around town, she was yellow. Like many newborns, she had jaundice, but unlike many, she couldn't get rid of it. She had to remain hospitalized for almost all of her first three weeks spending endless hours under these intense blue lights that help break down the bilirubin in your blood stream. Most kids take a couple days to get their liver and kidneys in sync and get to a normal color, Olivet just stayed yellow, and the doctors didn't have any idea why.

(In a hospital dressed in purple for the last home game of the year against HBU)

Because I work in a two man shop, my health insurance is Obamacare. When the doctors were perplexed about what was happening and afraid that without further treatment that the baby could suffer organ damage, they said we had to go to a NICU (Neo-natal ICU). However, the only one in the state that would take my insurance was in San Antonio. Thankfully, my sister-in-law lives there with her family, so we had a place to stay. The day the SLC tourney kicked off for Walkup's final appearance, my wife was headed with Olivet on the 5 hour trip to the hospital.

About two hours in, I receive a call from my doctor that a blood test came back that our daughter has Group B strep - a fairly common disease (especially in hospitals) - but deadly for newborns. They want to life-flight Olivet to Houston for immediate treatment. I'm at home needing to work to help pay off all these bills; my wife is in the no-man's land near Bryan on her way to San Antonio. In the end, the doctor said instead of turning around, she should drive straight to the NICU but she shouldn't let the baby fall asleep and become unresponsive. Imagine driving for three hours with a two week old faced where you can't see them and hoping they don't fall asleep.

Somehow, my wife survived the stress of the trip and made it to the hospital. In an attempt to make sure she had the best chance of surviving, the NICU docs pumped our little girl with antibiotics so strong that there was a decent shot that she would have permanent hearing loss if she made it. I immediately left my other kids with family and rushed to San Antonio. The next day as was getting used to a third week of hospital life but in a new location, the Jacks went on to cruise through their SLC Finals match. In the isolation room that my daughter was kept in, I kept some weary eyes open as I watched the game on phone - excited that we might have a chance to do some damage again.

The next few days were honestly a blur of tests and shots and doctors and endless questions and much prayer. I spent most of my free time reading everything I could about our matchup with WVU and observing LJF posts. The excitement of what SFA was doing mixed with the terrible fear over the unreality of our family's situation was an odd juxtaposition, but one that oddly tinged all the stress with a silver lining of hope.

In the end (and it took way too long to find out), the blood test that showed the Group B Strep was a contamination mistake. My daughter never had the disease. In fact, about two weeks too late, her body started equalizing the bilirubin just fine, and she started to fade from a mustard color to a my family's natural ghost-like white. The doctors never found an explanation. She just got better. She still had to stay a week to make sure there wasn't some strange relapse, but we felt better every new day.

Thursday night, my wife and I were going to stay at her sister's house for the first time overnight, but first, there was a game. I found a Wingstop right beside the hospital that was supposed to air the game; my wife found the nail salon next door. I got the very busy Wingstop employees to change the channel, but each time the manager would go back, he would get the wrong channel. After three attempts, I left and joined my wife at the salon. There the Vietnamese ladies were nice enough for me to turn their one TV onto the game. I sat in the massage chair and scared the lady scrubbing my wife's feet when Meech hit the big three at the end of the first half. Sometimes you can't hold in your excitement.

At halftime, we raced back to my in-laws place, and I settled in for one of the most stress breaking hours of my life. Things were getting right with the world. The next day, I would get to pick my daughter up from her last day in the hospital. SFA had not only beat the #3 seed, they were the better team all night. I was going to get a full night of sleep. I was on cloud nine. I wasn't as viscerally pumped as when Des drained that free throw to seal the 4 point play, but I felt like the sun was shining again.

The only problem left was Notre Dame. I had to get back to Nacogdoches to take care of my other kids. The only way I could do it was to be driving through most of the game. Luckily at the time my car had Sirius radio that would broadcast the game. I was probably not the safest driver as I sped home listening to the phenomenal play of Walkup and Co. I just had to get home and see the end on TV. As I'm racing around the loop to my house, we're up by a couple of points. I jump out of the car, run in, and get the TV on. It doesn't work. Something happened to my router while I was gone, and it needs to be reset. I miss the end of the game. I finally get it on to see we've lost and watch the dreaded...well you know the rest.

Anyway, this week two years ago was an unforgettable one for many reasons. Prayers of a fan and prayers of a father were both answered that week. This week my family (with a completely healthy two year old) is once again headed to San Antonio, but this time for some much needed relaxation. I'm not so superstitious (I think) that I'll go back to the nail salon, but I will be watching in the same location where I was when we won. However, this time if we make it to the Round of 32, I'll be in Dallas.

Thanks to anyone that read this novel. Again, I love to hear your stories (even if they aren't book long). Axe 'em Jacks!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Wow, I don't think any of us will top that. Excellent writeup (watch out Isaac) & glad everything turned out ok with the kiddo.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Wow! Just wow! Obviously answered prayer. Olivet definitely had a Guardian Angel looking out for her. Give her a kiss for me and the other Sawmillers.
djsfw57
That is truly a remarkable story. I'm so happy that everything turned out so well for your family. I think we all know what the explanation is for your sweet baby getting well. Prayer is a powerful tool. I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing it.

PS Your children are beautiful.
nacluth
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm looking forward to some new great memories this week.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Ljacks&Longnecks
Quite a story Ryan, glad it all turned out so well. Once in a while it's good to be reminded that some things in life are a bit more important than a ball game.....................
SFAJack_76
Thanks for sharing an amazing story of life. That three hour drive your wife had after getting the news must have seemed like forever. I can't imagine.

Blessings to you and family.
No-look
Awesome story. Answered prayer.
SFASawmillGuy
Nice. I got drunk and yelled a lot at frogs. Your memory sounds better.
SfaTke596
Amazing story! Glad everything worked out.

I have a quick story from 2014 vs VCU....

I live in California and made the 2 hour drive to San Diego for the game. My friends and I arrived about 2 hours before the start of the game and looked for a place to have a couple beers before we headed in. Found a random bar about 2 miles from the arena.

When I walked into the bar I immediately realized that we had walked into the VCU supporters pre-game meet up bar. There must have been 700-800 VCU fans there. We had 2 choices- leave and look for a new bar( that would have costs us 10-20 min of drinking time) or just man up and drink there. I knew there was no alcohol being sold in the arena so we didn't have time to waste. I was wearing an SFA hat- but back then nobody knew who SFA was and only about 2 VCU fans noticed and said something about SFA. So we decided to stay.
About 50 min before the game started we decided it was time to head to the arena and pick up our tickets from will call we wanted to be seated and make sure we didn't miss a play.
I go to the bar to order our last round of shots and ask for a taxi (no uber back then). The bartender asked where we were going and I told him we needed a cad to the arena. He says "hey that bus out front is going to the arena you should jump on that". It was the VCU alumni bus. Taxi was 20 min away so there was no way I was waiting for that- plus I must have had at least 5 beers and 3 shots in the previous hour so I was feeling good/brave . I figured it was a good idea not to wait for the cab and two of my buddies and I snuck on the VCU bus. About 5 min into the 10 min bus ride one of the guys that saw my SFA hat at bar recognized me and yelled "hey *** is that SFA fan doing on our bus"?!?! And without skipping a beat I yelled right back "I want all of you to know that after we beat yalls ass I'm riding this bus back to the bar"
The next 5 minutes were full of hate and boos directed at my friends and I. A few of the VCU fans wanted to kick me off the bus but the driver would not pullover. Most of the VCU fans were cool and couldn't believe we dared to jump on. We made it to the game in one piece.

I wasn't able to find the same bus after the game.

I will remember that day and that game for the rest of my live. I hope we can make more memories tonight!

Axe'Em

TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Nice. I got drunk and yelled a lot at frogs. Your memory sounds better.
Taken literally, this sounds pretty entertaining actually.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.