SFA vs future P5 teams

2,932 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fountainhs
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious to hear thoughts.

Does the success, let's say of the last 5 years, combined with the last two weeks, now hurt us going forward playing P5 schools?

Here is what I mean:

There are P5 schools that PAY us to come to them...and sometimes get beat, most of times get a game they were not expecting.

What are the odds any of these teams ever come to Nac? ZERO.

Remember when we played TAMU, like in 2009, close? Never played since.
Remember when we played Texas close in Austin with Underwood. Never played since.
Texas Tech? Nope.
Oklahoma? Nope.
Baylor? Maybe. They seem kinda willing, maybe.
I remember us playing Houston. Nope, not any more.
What are the odds we ever see LSU, MSST or Mizzou on the schedule? Let alone them come to Nac? Or any SEC school? You think anyone wants a piece of what we're dishing out?

Does our success hurt?

I wonder if coaches and programs just don't (yet) see SFA as a "good win" as opposed to a "Bad loss"

Id love to see an I-35 swing for SFA.

Start with Aggies, then to UTSA, then to San Marcos, then up to Austin, then to Waco and then DFW for TCU/SMU.

We may not win a single game, or we may win a few. The point is, we could do that 10 years in a row and might get lucky if ONE (and it might be Danny at TxSt) of those teams gave us a return game in Nac.

So, does winning on the road/playing unbelievably close games one the road at P5 hurt our chances of:

A) Getting more p5 teams to PAY us to come to them?
B) Getting a return trip from one or more of them?

I'm curious the response. Thanks!
SFASawmillGuy
I just want a home Home against a real power 5 team. Come visit us LSU. We miss you
nacluth
It's always going to be tough to get good competition to play us period. Keller has done an outstanding job of getting us solid matchups. Tonight's game being exhibit A. If we had gotten those two points, all eyes turn our way. Got to finish the year.

At this point, it's about building a brand. It took Gonzaga forever to get to where their nonconference is. If we can string a couple years together again, then big schools will want to play quality games against us. They won't see us as a bad loss but a quality win.

It won't happen as long as we're a coaching carousel. If Keller leaves after year 3, then our capital is wasted. It's not success that hurts us, it's unreliable success.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
impossible. Wichita state and gonzaga still dont get good full home games. they get semi neautral games in their state. WSU host OKstate a few miles away from their actual home court but played OKstate at home last year. maybe in few years we can face an out of state team in Dallas or Houston
TallTexan
nacluth said:

It won't happen as long as we're a coaching carousel. If Keller leaves after year 3, then our capital is wasted. It's not success that hurts us, it's unreliable success.
It hurts us a bit, but we should also have a home & home written into the buyout of any contract. We'd be getting ready for a home & home with Ok State at this point, & if Keller leaves we could look for a similar result if we had that provision in the contracts.
TallTexan
Also, we should get in the ear of TX lawmakers that our P5 schools shouldn't be playing buy games against too many out of state schools.
fountainhs
If I were a Power 5 school, no way I would want to schedule us next season. Next season's team is going to be scary good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.