Ladyjacks vs UTRGV

1,907 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cook Williams with the start. Guess Deck is still out.
nacluth
Lombard showing that teams must account for her because she can take over a game. Also, she has the strangest free throw starting position on the line.
nacluth
SFA 19-17 after one. Winning 15-7 at first media but Lombard came out with two fouls and game turned.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Looks like we only have 8 or 9 suited up again. Sure need to avoid foul trouble.
nacluth
30-25 SFA at second media. Putting UTRGV in foul trouble currently.
nacluth
SFA 40-35 halftime. Shouldn't be that close but 7 made threes for the Vaqueras. Sloppy passing by players that don't get a lot of time for us didn't help.

These refs have the fastest counts. 7 time violations that I saw in the first half.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Cook Williams with the start. Guess Deck is still out.

I tuned in late and noticed that Cooke-Wiggins has taken over for Cook Williams.
nacluth
Haha. Autocorrect. I didn't even look back.
BigJack85
Having a hard time in the paint against the Vaqueros. ? Why ?
nacluth
They're taller than us. But we're out of sync with this line up.
nacluth
48-48 Third media.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Harden needs to get over being mad on the court. When things are not going our way she has a tendency to get too mad and frustrated and that is not helpful to our cause.
nacluth
55-53 SFA after three.

Zoe Nelson has been a bright spot. Jasmine Boles is struggling through her minutes, but it seems like she's beginning to adapt.
nacluth
61-55 SFA final media with 7 minutes left.
nacluth
Harden is gone punching a girl in the face.
Ljacks&Longnecks
As I said, her attitude when things are tough is not a benefit. Terrible move on her part.
SFA Jack Fanatic
STUPID act by Harden! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
This Ladyjack team needs to work on discipline. Some really bad turnovers tonight, sloppy play at times and holding one's temper.
nacluth
The bigs for UTRGV have been trying to chip and push and trip Harden all night, and from my vantage point it looked like Kurstyn was pushed to the floor by 12.
nacluth
What are they saying on TV?
nacluth
Moore and Boles ejected for coming on the court. Looking to eject their number 3 for the same.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That Harden's ejection was quite obvious. And Boles and Moore ejected for "leaving the bench".
UTRVG girl that committed the original foul also ejected.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Again, I believe Discipline should become the top priority for the SFA coaching staff going forward.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Zoe Nelson is very good on offense but very bad on defense. Players have zoomed right by her several times. (Maybe she's just fatigued??)
nacluth
79-69 SFA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
IMO, Ladyjacks get a tainted win due to what happened at the end.

And they were fortunate that they were playing a bad team tonight. That would have been a loss to most of the other WAC teams.
Pilotgirl
Ugggggggh. Big sigh.

No comment from me needed. Watching it was enough.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Fortunate to come away with the win tonight. UTRVG 3 point barrage did not continue in the 2nd half. Far too many bad turnovers for us in this game. Without Nelson and Lombard's work tonight we would not have gotten the win.
Obviously the ejections were not a good thing or a good look for us. Yes I think UTRVG bigs were all over Harden and Moore tonight but as a player you have to overcome the physical play and keep your head. It's not like other teams don't get physical as well.

And obviously we need to get healthy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Zoe Nelson is very good on offense but very bad on defense. Players have zoomed right by her several times. (Maybe she's just fatigued??)

Zoe got 21 points and 15 rebounds, so I can live with less-than-optimal defense if it comes with those kinds of numbers at the other end.
nacluth
Being there in person and watching it back on video, I think it was clear the girl wanted to level Harden and ultimately I'm not too upset about what happened later. I'm guessing that girl will be slightly worried about getting popped in the face again.

Obviously I don't condone the violence or Harden's sulking when she's picked on, but I don't mind a little scrappiness.
SFAJack_76
I am extremely upset about what happened. Teams have learned that if they play Harden physically, she will take herself out of the game. Suspensions both last season and this for violating team rules. She complains about every foul called against her. Her effort tonight was mediocre at best, and has been since her latest suspension.

Kurstyn is wasting her talent. She needs to get her attitude right, if it's not too late. Bishop wants to win now, but he must build the culture for what he wants it to be in the future. What happened tonight is never acceptable for Ladyjack basketball. Bishop and Ivey have important decisions to make.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Looks like we only have 8 or 9 suited up again. Sure need to avoid foul trouble.
We had ten suited up in the first half. One of them, that hadn't played except early in the season, was in sweats the second half. After Avery fouled out, and three got ejected, we were down to five players. Fortunately, they were the right five.

Deck has her right arm in a sling. There has not been any meaningful damage to the shoulder found from the wreck, but she is still quite sore.
Ljacks&Longnecks
76 is spot on here. His comments on Harden are absolutely correct. If you have watched Ladyjack ball this year you have seen it.
I never want to see Ladyjack basketball devolve into one of those teams that plays dirty and rough. Defending a teammate or just scrappy play is one thing, but physical retaliation outside the bounds of the game is not acceptable. Yes everyone will lose their temper at some point but you must have the discipline and drive to stay within the boundaries of the game. Don't get roped into throwing a punch.
The Ladies who got ejected for leaving the bench just need to be enlightened by the coaching staff that you just can not do that in WBB.
At this point it is on the coaching staff to parlay this unfortunate incident into a learning experience and a focus on keeping one's head in the game and a reminder that this is not what Ladyjack basketball is about.
nacluth
Of course I didn't know about the suspensions, but the attitude is concerning. Honestly it ruined Aiyana's game, and it looks to be well on the way to ruining Kurstyn's. We've gone from being a deep if young team to being a talented but threadbare team.

I will totally agree that culture is more important than winning in the near term, but Bishop's first year success is about one player away from crumbling.
SFAJack_76
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.