Contract extension for Coach Keller

2,119 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
nacluth
Does an extension help him stay or help him go?
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't know if it matters much either way really, and that's just a general statement. As long as you don't lose basically everyone gets extensions...some who leave shortly after. Don't know the specifics of the deal, but it's at least an extensive effort from our AD.
nacluth
Cool. I would assume there's some increases in there for salary and performance targets. Hopefully enough to keep him around for a few more years. This has to be a hard year to stay with all these seniors leaving.
LUMBERJACK2005
I would assume the most important part of any extension, in regards to helping keep him around, would be the size of a buyout associated with Keller leaving prior to his contract being up. I think it would be hard to leave, as a coach, if I had my whole team coming back. I don't know how many of the seniors will take advantage of the extra year of eligibility being offered.
TallTexan
Think it probably helps retain Keller.

At the very least, it probably has a larger buyout that helps SFA if he leaves.

I couldn't find a mention of his buyout in the old contract.

"https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dGlKSVNHelFzZlRiV0NhMlVsOEVUTlYyV084/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dVdCQ0JGbjRWa1ZJRXdnWTNxbEhmR2tPeGVF/view?usp=sharing"
TallTexan
Found it. Buyout started at 300k after 2016 season and decreased each year, and ended at the end of last season.

So it was definitely good for SFA to get a deal done.
ljax1979
Win-win. Keller gets more guaranteed years and we can get the buyout $ back up. Hopefully we inserted language that the school that hires Keller has to play us within 2-3 years of the hire date as well.
BigJack85
ljax1979 said:

Win-win. Keller gets more guaranteed years and we can get the buyout $ back up. Hopefully we inserted language that the school that hires Keller has to play us within 2-3 years of the hire date as well.
. Bingo. I was thinking the exact same thing. Buyout clause would seem to be closer to $750k. That would cover the first 1.5 years of the successors compensation package.
SFASawmillGuy
I would hope if and when the bigger school takes Kyle from us, we hire the new Head coach from within. Our assistant coaches are outstanding and a huge part in game planning and recruiting. I am confident if worst came to pass, they could pick up the ball in stride.
TallTexan
If either Cox or Mason were the replacement, I'd be ecstatic.

This is a top 25 staff in the country.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.