Hypothetical Game

4,483 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by No-look
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2016 vs 2020

Walkup vs Harris
Pinkney vs Comeaux
Geffard vs Roti
Holyfield vs Gavin
Floyd vs Bain

Let the worlds collide.

I'd say...80-75 2016 wins
Ljacks&Longnecks
Jacks Win......Jacks Win
No-look
It would have gone into multiple overtime's. Neither team could lose. So after they were completely gassed they would just buy each other a beer.
SFASawmillGuy
I think 2016 has more firepower but 2020 has a better defense. It's a close hard fought matchup but 2016's ability to force fouls on offense is the deciding factor.

Both teams are great but I have no doubt the 2016 team ENDED UP BEING the best team in SFA history. They were slow at the beginning and they scared me at first but turned out to be the chosen ones.

The 2020 team was astounding but had their weaknesses. They could beat you in the paint sometimes but were anemic from the foul line. That's where the 2016 team beats them. The 2016 team was just a winning team where the 2020 team was a gritty team. Would 2016 beat Duke? Probably not. Would 2016 beat 2020? It depends on what time of year the team was playing.

Regardless nothing will ever take away the memories of the from 2016 when we were literally rioting in the streets of nac from that game.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

2016 vs 2020

Walkup vs Harris
Pinkney vs Comeaux
Geffard vs Roti
Holyfield vs Gavin
Floyd vs Bain

Let the worlds collide.

I'd say...80-75 2016 wins

Oh this is interesting. I'm gonna go off memory rather than stats, one because it's early and two because I'm on my phone.

Have to give Walkup the slight edge. He was unstoppable. I love Kevon and it'd be awfully close.

But I have to give the edge to Walkup because he always seemed to be a loud scorer, for lack of a better term. I've seen Kevon score a quiet 22 points, where you left the game thinking, I don't remember him hitting that many shots.

Pinkney vs John. Wow. This is a tough one on defense. Gotta go John and that's because I gave up and checked the stats. Pinkney beats John on assists, with nearly 4 a game. John wins on steals with 2 a game vs 1.5, but John wins on points with 8 vs nearly 3.

And if I hadn't given it to John on stats, I'd give it to him on heart. He's the sparkplug for this team. He'd go to hell and back with a gas can under each arm for this team. I've seen John multiple times pull the Jacks back from the brink because he instituted a no fly zone and pulled off 2 or 3 turnovers in succession.

I'm actually gonna switch this one up and say Floyd vs Roti as that seems like the right matchup. Similar 3 point percentages, free throw percentages and both listed as guard. Floyd was always good for a big time 3 and pulled on 4 more points a game.

But ask me next season when Roti's a senior.

Holyfield vs Gavin. This one is surprisingly easy. Gavin all day. More rebounds, more points. TJ could stretch the field with the 3, but I think the Jr over powers the freshmen in the paint to give him an edge.

I'd pay good money to see both of them in their prime battle it out though. That'd be nearly as interesting as the Kevon vs Walkup matchup.

Bain vs Geffard: fun fact, the people's champion was on both these teams, so Nate comes out a winner either way. In my heart of hearts, I really want to give the edge to Nate here. But the stats don't lie for Clide. He had a monster year. He scored 10 or more in 27 games that season, had 6 games with 20 or more.

Gotta give this one to Clide in a head to head matchup.

Bench vs Bench. Well a hypothetical bench since we put Clide in the starting lineup. 2020 Jacks have an average of 2.5 more bench pts per game this season, just based on tallying up our hypothetical benches' season avgs.

So let's look at best 3 vs best 3 off the bench. Kalchyries, Country(BTW, best 3 pt percentage on the team), Cam vs Dallas, Charles and Jared Johnson. Points wise, it goes to the 2020 Jacks still. Cam is just too good of a scorer and Charlie is a big man who provides a good change up and extra fouls.

Styles: I love that our signature is a lock down D with lots of transition scoring. That makes us one of the most fun teams to watch in the country, every year. Push.

Verdict 2016 team by a hair. I actually think the 2020 team is a little better athletically, little better bench, but my goodness the turnovers we gave up against much less potent defenses than the 2016 team because of brain farts. That said, this 2020 team was really starting to peak.

2016 wins by 1 after Calvin misses an and 1 opportunity to tie the game after being pulled into the game late because of foul trouble on both teams. It looked like the rebound went clearly off Clide and out of bounds, but a Southland ref from across the court used his xray vision to determine that Roti tipped it. Pinkney gets the inbound pass to Walkup to run fof the final seconds. Chaunsea and Underwood nod in mutual respect for each others screaming abilities.

Jacks fans sit, exuberant but exhausted as the teams line up for the funeral dirge paced Alma mater while Nathan Bain merges back into one person.
TallTexan
Also, I shouldn't pick on Calvin, but I will gladly donate to help the Jacks hire a free throw consultant for this team this summer.

Calvin is gonna be a stud in a year or two.
RichieVan
I'll do it for free
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Jacks fans sit, exuberant but exhausted as the teams line up for the funeral dirge paced Alma mater while Nathan Bain merges back into one person.

Man! That's a fantastic write-up, Texan. I didn't know you had that in you. You had me watching the back-and-forth in my mind's eye like it was real. Great job!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Man! That's a fantastic write-up, Texan. I didn't know you had that in you. You had me watching the back-and-forth in my mind's eye like it was real. Great job!
I love our Alma Mater, and will post that every time Tall posts his disparaging comment.
No-look
Texan nailed it!
MasterAxe
(Stone Cold Music Comes On)

Jim Ross: OMG, It's 2014 SFA! Here they come!

Walkup, Walker, Haymon, Gajic, Parker, Pinkney, Clayton, Brooks.

That's a hell of a squad.
PurpleOut
Staff
Great thread. I'm taking the 2016 team.

That team was not only gritty, but they were smart. Not to say this year's team isn't, but that was a big element of that team. I think with the way the 2020 team turns the ball over, Walkup and those guys would frustrate the hell out of them.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I love our Alma Mater, and will post that every time Tall posts his disparaging comment.

I love the song, just not the tempo. Pep that sucker up. #SpeedyAlmaMater #MoreCowbell
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Thanks.

And occasionally I surprise myself too.
MasterAxe
And from the depths of history emerges...the 'stache and his 2009 crew.

With body bangers Nick Shaw and Matt Kingsley, combined with the sharpshooting Josh Alexander...they look to slow the pace to snail speed.

Eddie Williams and (pre-knee) Benson Akpan are there to destroy your offensive flow.

What a clash of styles this would have been : 2009 vs ANY OTHER SFA NCAA TEAM

I dont like to label this team as the "worst" of the NCAA teams we have had, they were just so different from the Underwood and Keller teams.

They were VERY GOOD at playing a very different style that what we have had recently.

I mean, they had TWO Southland POY in the starting lineup.
Rev007
I'm taking the 2016 team because of Thomas Walkup. Kevon is a great scorer, but if you asked me who I would want leading my team into the NCAA Tournament, Walkup is the choice, without a doubt. He had no fear and was such a tremendous all-around player who could strap the team to his back. I don't know if I'll ever see another SFA player like him. I certainly hope I do.
No-look
Watched the SFA/ West Virginia game yesterday on YouTube. SFA defense was stifling. Walkup was all world. Had almost half the points. Trey Pinkney was superb at leading the press break. Trying to compare that team with this years team I came away with the thought that the 2016 team was a better defensive team and this years team had more talent overall. Both were great teams but I would give the slight edge to this years team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.