SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

21,610 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (13-2, 4-0) vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (5-10, 1-3)

WHEN: JAN 8 (SAT) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

Four games into the conference schedule and SFA is perfect with a 16.5 point average margin of victory. Of course, the teams that we have played are 2-11 combined and represent 4 of the 6 worst teams in the SLC. Wednesday night we get to add the fifth team in the bottom six - Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Maybe no one knew at the beginning of the season where the Southland would be come conference play, but SFA has three more games against truly terrible teams before getting a slate of play against the actual contenders in the league. Expect more of the same for the next two weeks.

The Islanders are really bad this year. They had a three point loss to Texas A&M, but really who didn't? Corpus does not have one decent game on their record unless you count their almost surprising home win against Northwestern St. They are one of the worst offenses in the nation, and if they weren't halfway decent at hitting threes, they would be dead last. To be fair, their defense is average, but when you can't score, an average defense means you lose.

Willis Wilson knows SFA, and he has been one of the more successful active coaches against the Lumberjacks. So, he may be able to present some wrinkles that the Jacks haven't seen much - like a modified zone. But realistically, unless Miles Smith (6'0" G Jr.) or Jashawn Talton (6'5" G Sr.) just start raining threes with abandon, this game should not be close. Tony Lewis, their big 260 pound senior forward, is a good inside defender, but the combination of Kensmil and Daniels will be more than he can handle.

Depth is always going to be the strength of the Jacks. The Islanders like to play seven deep with three more helping out as needed. However, the Jacks need to run and keep the glacial pace of Corpus moving. Roti has been coming into his own the last few games. If our offense can be Kevon first, Roti outside, Kensmil inside, and Cam everywhere else, we can be building something like unto Underwood's offensive stats. Currently the Jacks have the 5th highest scoring team in the nation. We need to follow up with many more points Wednesday night.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Shooting nearly 37% on threes. #57 in the country, and about all they have going for them. Keller mentioned today that he had changed the defense so we aren't trapping as much. That should help defending the three point line. They only have one player that has started all 15 games. #312 Haslametrics. #307 Kenpom. #317 NET.
No-look
Jacks better approach this game hungry. Anyone can be beat on a given night. Not that I think we will lose but just need to keep grinding.
LUMBERJACK2005
Any word on Hart?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Currently the Jacks have the 5th highest scoring team in the nation.

5th in the nation. I did not realize that. Thank you, NAIA and D-2.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Currently the Jacks have the 5th highest scoring team in the nation.

5th in the nation. I did not realize that. Thank you, NAIA and D-2.

I mean we did score 85 against Duke...this teams two worst offensive games happened to be our only two losses. Other than that the offense has been relatively consistent when it comes to scoring.
SFAJack_76
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Any word on Hart?
Back with the team yesterday. Playing time TBD.
nacluth
My write-up makes it sound like Corpus is trash. I'm not really backing off that opinion, but for full disclosure their 3 losses so far have been: at Nicholls by 6, at UCA by 4, and vs. SELA by 4. They are not getting killed, but we'll see where the chips fall tomorrow.
No-look
Will the students be back for this game?
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Nope
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Dorms open Saturday. Classes start on Wednesday, January 15.
nacluth
Game day!!! It's sad, but we have to leave Willis Wilson and the Islanders behind. Better things are off on the horizon.

BigJack85
nacluth said:

Game day!!! It's sad, but we have to leave Willis Wilson and the Islanders behind. Better things are off on the horizon.

Nice. Nice.
nacluth
Corpus are 17 point dogs. Probably the biggest line we're seeing this year. Good slate of SLC games that should be competitive, but UCA against UNO will be a good indicator of how UCA is handling Pennell's loss.
SFAJack_76
Haslametrics has us 76-50.
MasterAxe
I love gambling and I love SFA this year, but that's a big spread to bet.

I'll probably take Corpus +16.5, even through I'm fairly certain we win by 10+.
PurpleForever
MasterAxe said:

I love gambling and I love SFA this year, but that's a big spread to bet.

I'll probably take Corpus +16.5, even through I'm fairly certain we win by 10+.

I was hoping the line would be closer to -13.5 but it's tough to go against us even with an inflated line because we should win by that much. I think I'm going to with 1h spread and 1h team total under for Corpus at 27.5.
No-look
nacluth said:

Brilliant!
No-look
Would it be wrong to hope Sam players are still sick with the flu? Lol
SFAJack_76
Media team is stepping up.
BigJack85
Really like that. We get to 28-3 , we are going to need them.
SFAJack_76
Hart in uniform.
RedRiverLa
well, another cold start and not guarding the 3.
KirkHeath12
Awful call
Class of 2012
Axe Em
cboothe09
Which one? The BS bump on Solomon or the charge on Roti?

Refs off to a rocky start...
KirkHeath12
Can I say both
Class of 2012
Axe Em
RedRiverLa
After about 6 minutes of staying with us with their best effort- we should start to pull away from a team like this, but, for some reason, we don't.
nacluth
Playing sloppy so far. Kensmil struggling.
sfa17
hopefully we can pull away in the second
nacluth
Of course this is the story of every game this season. Close first halves.
TallTexan
Even when the guys are 5 feet behind the line, with a hand up, shots fall in Nac.
sfa17
nacluth said:

Of course this is the story of every game this season. Close first halves.
yeah we are playing with fire
Pilotgirl
This is so exasperating
RedRiverLa
hard to watch right now
nacluth
Cue the mid-game butt-chewing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.