College Insider - Mid-Major Poll

25,661 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sfa17
LUMBERJACK2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went from unranked to #8

https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
LUMBERJACK2005
Furman, whom Alabama beat this year, is #6.
sfa17
They have always been good to us and professional. Unlike some other account
cboothe09
Mid-Major Madness has shown a lot of love over the years. They did two stories about our win the night we took down Duke, including one about it being possibly our springboard back into the Mid-Major spotlight.

I do think it was weak not to rank us, and Cam got a little self righteous, but I understand where they were coming from. We were bad last year. We were really bad. We were sub-.500 in one of the worst conferences in America bad. I get the "wait and see" approach they are taking, especially after being burned by Evansville losing three straight following their win over Kentucky.

Regardless, a win over Alabama and we will have their full attention...
BigJack85
Andy Katz has us as a 11 seed facing Tennessee.... way way way early still fun to think.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
purpleballs
Lunardi's bracket has Sam Houston as 16 seed. Not that it means anything.
SFA Jack Fanatic
He's asleep at the wheel....
BigJack85
Duke easily handles Michigan State.........

That victory against Duke is looking pretty good.
sfa17
Mid Major Madness Talks SFA and Poll

Go to Minute 31

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/12/5/20996536/podcast-who-should-be-no-1-san-diego-state-gonzaga-dayton

At the end they said "there are so many of them" "That is a rough fan base to deal with"

I like that about us. Duke/Kentucky fans are the same way.
djsfw57
Those guys are dumbasses.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
Bless you for listening to them for that long.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

At the end they said "there are so many of them" "That is a rough fan base to deal with"

I like that about us. Duke/Kentucky fans are the same way.

Heaven forbid that mid major teams have fans who want to hear about their teams.

sfa17
SFAJack_76 said:

Bless you for listening to them for that long.

Oh heck no. Left is too short for that. I just looked at podcast notes and saw sfa was the last thing mentioned
RichieVan
Just win at Alabama. You know, the team #11 Furman lost to, then we'll see what their excuse will be.
sfajack05
Who cares what they think. They can't even follow their own rules for ranking teams in their own polls. They are just a bunch of fanboys who started a website. Not even sure if this is their full-time job or just a side gig to make some extra money.

Anyways, I think the college insider poll is a better gauge to see where SFA is to other midmajors because it's voted on by coaches. We have to be realistic, it will be a long time before SFA ever gets ranked in the AP or Coaches poll. Even if we beat Alabama I don't see SFA getting enough votes to be in the AP. We might get 20-25 votes in the next poll but will start to lose those when conference play starts.

I could see if SFA getting ranked at the end of the season if we go undefeated in conference, win the conference tournament, and make it to the Sweet 16/Elite 8.
BigJack85
I'm one to ponder our potential record. I believe it has more bearing on the committee than we think. I know the public pronouncements are RPI/Strength of Schedule/Quality Wins. They all factor in but a 28-5 team with a win over Duke comes up and they have Purple as their primary color the committee will give us the benefit of the doubt vs. say Weber State or Charleston Southern (insert similar low-mid major). Not saying it gets us a 9 or 10 seed but it should help us a spot or two if we win 17-18 conference games. Got to win the tournament though ..... one bid league. Ugh.
cboothe09
Dropped a spot to #9 in the College Insider poll...Interesting note on that one, the Arkansas State team we beat by 19 at their place is receiving 18 votes for that same poll...
nacluth
I don't want to hijack the thread with seeding talk, but I also don't want to start a thread about seeding because I'm superstitious.

Right now, winning out realistically is going to get us a 12 seed. It's like Underwood going 31-2 before the tournament. Granted they didn't beat #1 Duke, but that probably only gives us a small chance to hit a 10.

With 2-3 losses from here, we're looking at a 13/14 seed. More than 5, a 15. Our Duke win is probably enough to keep us out of the 16 spot barring something truly bizarre.

There is zero chance for any kind of ranking in the top 25 and an almost equally low chance for a single digit tournament seed.
BigJack85
I'm sure your analysis is dead on. I haven't started seed counting. A practice I begin early in March, if we are good. The stats I looked at had us between 24-7 and 27-4. There's going to be 8 to 10 teams we are better than if we finish 27-4. That would confirm your seed line estimate.
PurpleOut
Staff
The reason I never worry or think about seeding this early is you just have no idea how the rest of the conferences will shake out. We may be a qualified 14 seed, but then 4 other conferences have their non-regular season champ win their tournament and we slide up to a 13 or 12.

Just win baby.
cboothe09
Using Haslametrics we are favored to win every game the remainder of the season. In all but two, we are favored by at least 10 points. The only two that are expected to be close is a 77-72 win at Sam Houston and a 77-68 win vs. Nicholls. Outside of that, the system has us winning rather comfortably most of the way through.

Obviously this doesn't add in things like our travel heavy start to conference play (7 of first 11 on the road), or off nights, bad refs, or any other statistical outlier that may be out there. Still, I like our chances...

cboothe09
Here are the projected scores for the remainder of the season:

Vs. Louisiana Monroe W - 83-53
Vs. HBU W - 108-71
@ McNeese W - 87-75
Vs. Paul Quinn
@ SELA W - 83-62
@ UNO W - 82-64
Vs. A&M-CC W - 77-50
@ UCA W - 92-67
Vs. UIW W - 89-49
@ NWST W - 93-59
@ Lamar W - 73-63
Vs. ACU W - 78-58
@ Sam W - 77-72
Vs. Nicholls W - 77-68
Vs. UNO W - 86-61
@ A&M-CC W - 74-54
Vs. UCA W - 96-63
@ UIW W - 85-53
Vs. NWST W - 97-55
Vs. Lamar W - 76-60
@ ACU W - 74-62
Vs. Sam W - 81-68
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Vs. HBU W - 108-71
@ McNeese W - 87-75
Vs. Paul Quinn
@ SELA W - 83-62
@ UNO W - 82-64
Vs. A&M-CC W - 77-50
@ UCA W - 92-67
Vs. UIW W - 89-49
@ NWST W - 93-59
@ Lamar W - 73-63
Vs. ACU W - 78-58
@ Sam W - 77-72
Vs. Nicholls W - 77-68
Vs. UNO W - 86-61
@ A&M-CC W - 74-54
Vs. UCA W - 96-63
@ UIW W - 85-53
Vs. NWST W - 97-55
Vs. Lamar W - 76-60
@ ACU W - 74-62
Vs. Sam W - 81-68

I hope Haslametrics has it right!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Obviously this doesn't add in things like our travel heavy start to conference play (7 of first 11 on the road), or off nights, bad refs, or any other statistical outlier that may be out there.

Or -- dare I say it -- injuries to key players.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Obviously this doesn't add in things like our travel heavy start to conference play (7 of first 11 on the road), or off nights, bad refs, or any other statistical outlier that may be out there.

Or -- dare I say it -- injuries to key players.
. No, you dare not say that. Lol
No-look
It's time to start avenging some of the loses we had last year. ULM beat us by 16 and we'll, you know the conference story. I hope we run the table but not likely. As long as a loss doesn't happen at Katy. We need a double bye at Katy. Just need to take care of business.
cboothe09
Injuries suck, but I do think we are better built this year to withstand a hit or two for a short period. I think it has been our depth that has impressed me most this year. No more dead legs late, watching teams pull away in the final five minutes.
sfa17
cboothe09 said:

Vs. HBU W - 108-71
@ McNeese W - 87-75
Vs. Paul Quinn
@ SELA W - 83-62
@ UNO W - 82-64
Vs. A&M-CC W - 77-50
@ UCA W - 92-67
Vs. UIW W - 89-49
@ NWST W - 93-59
@ Lamar W - 73-63
Vs. ACU W - 78-58
@ Sam W - 77-72
Vs. Nicholls W - 77-68
Vs. UNO W - 86-61
@ A&M-CC W - 74-54
Vs. UCA W - 96-63
@ UIW W - 85-53
Vs. NWST W - 97-55
Vs. Lamar W - 76-60
@ ACU W - 74-62
Vs. Sam W - 81-68
So you are saying there is a chance??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.