SFA / LeTourneau (19-20 Season Tip-off!)

18,620 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (0-0) vs. LeTourneau (0-0)

WHEN: NOV 6 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

It's Lumberjack Basketball time! The start of the 2019-2020 season sees a new look Lumberjack squad looking to regain some of their past glory. While SFA is returning four players, the core look of this team will be much different than the last three years under Keller (at least this is the preseason expectation).

Kevon Harris, the senior guard/forward combo with NBA aspirations, will be the undisputed leader of this team taking up a role that hasn't been seen since Walkup left. This team is going to rise and fall on his consistency and leadership. Does he have what it takes to marshall this team for a NCAA run?

John Comeaux, the unstoppable force, will return for his senior season after somehow fighting through last year's potential career ending injury. While he will definitely provide continuity at point, it's his leadership and heart that will be the most valuable to this team. Can he take on the mantle of the great SFA PG's of the past?

Bain, in his unbelievable fifth year, is the only remaining member of the most feted SFA squad in history. Injuries have limited him until having a successful personal season last year. Can he use that in game experience and his three years of support as a catalyst to be a top defensive talent and role model to our young bigs?

Oddyst gets credit for surviving the train wreck of his freshman season. He has shown flashes of ball handling skills and deep shot accuracy. Will he mature into a full time starter or will he be a sixth man in his sophomore try?

So many young faces bring huge potential but who will step up to be the face of this new look team? This year is set to be full of excitement.

LeTourneau on paper should not be the D3 team we met in our second game two years ago. Then they were an all-offense team averaging 100 points a game. This year they have one senior, one junior, and a very young team of underclassmen. Don't expect any surprises out of them.

Keller's teams have a history of playing these scrub teams way too close while practicing lineups, but this year has seemed like his most solid offseason. This team should get things in order by the end of the first half and then show out. Let's see if the game follows that script.

A new season and it's time to get that heart pumping purple again. Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
This is my yearly renewal of my argument that these games against D3 teams are totally unnecessary.

I sure hope to hell that we get out injury free.
CertifiedAxeman98
MasterAxe said:

This is my yearly renewal of my argument that these games against D3 teams are totally unnecessary.

I sure hope to hell that we get out injury free.
I think a tune up game is ok but you don't need more than one against a team that is not a D1 school. Also, I remember a couple of years ago the commissioner of the SLC stating that this year we had to play D1 teams with a 300 or better rating. I guess they still allow us to play some non D1 teams?
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would say that opening with a d3 school is the smart play this year due to all the new faces on the team. There is plenty of D1 comp coming up. That said I would agree that 3 small schools (LeTourneau, Paul Quinn and Arlington Baptist) is too many in a schedule if can be avoided in the future.
nacluth
Just being honest, if I was on the basketball staff (men or women's), I would be a little ticked at how this season is starting. Season tickets not completely up and going and ZERO coverage for the season start!

What is going on? Ladyjacks play today. Where are the previews, build up, anything. One tweet an hour ago that says it's game day, but that's it. The football team had so much hype and build up. It seemed like a frenzy for their first games, and they have not been good. Basketball has been the biggest product for years despite the men's season last year and nothing. I guess I don't understand how SFA sports information works.
sfajack05
nacluth said:

Just being honest, if I was on the basketball staff (men or women's), I would be a little ticked at how this season is starting. Season tickets not completely up and going and ZERO coverage for the season start!

What is going on? Ladyjacks play today. Where are the previews, build up, anything. One tweet an hour ago that says it's game day, but that's it. The football team had so much hype and build up. It seemed like a frenzy for their first games, and they have not been good. Basketball has been the biggest product for years despite the men's season last year and nothing. I guess I don't understand how SFA sports information works.
I believe the person that did all of this took another job at the university.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep Nacluth, I think that shows that SFA has a long way to go to reach Ivey's plan of being among the best of the Mid-majors in the country. It seems we take 1 step forward then 2 steps back in promoting the athletic programs.
Latest examples being the ticket transfer for BB not working...the video production of the last 2-3 sporting events...promoting the start of BB season.
I don't expect perfection but I would expect things like the ticket transfer to be up and running beforehand and for the video of games to not revert to the last century. Need to get some people on the ball in these depts.
nacluth
sfajack05 said:

That's helpful to know. Thanks. I will cut them some slack, but surely they have a content person up there. I can't imagine not having someone who can turn out an article for your major sports on time.
jboy93
Ed on game day!!!
No-look
One more sleep!
PurpleOut
Staff
"Visit SFATickets.com"

Ljacks&Longnecks
Hey Nacluth and others, I just looked at the SFA edu site and I see 2 jobs that are open that go back to what we mentioned here earlier....an Assistant Athletic Director for External Affairs---that would include the promotion part of the athletic programs and there is a posting for a Compliance Coordinator for Athletics.---NO Bozos
At least these jobs are in the works, hopefully filled soon by Qualified applicants and then they can get things running and get the programs on track.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

sfajack05 said:

That's helpful to know. Thanks. I will cut them some slack, but surely they have a content person up there. I can't imagine not having someone who can turn out an article for your major sports on time.
I tweeted Ivey about the camera work after the Sam Houston volleyball game. He hadn't heard any complaints about that or football & said he'd look into it.

I know Korbin took a job in fundraising & I know he'll knock it out of the park. But given that it's an internal hire, seems like we could have handled the transition better.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

sfajack05 said:

I tweeted Ivey about the camera work after the Sam Houston volleyball game. He hadn't heard any complaints about that or football & said he'd look into it.

I know Korbin took a job in fundraising & I know he'll knock it out of the park. But given that it's an internal hire, seems like we could have handled the transition better.
That SHSU volleyball camera work was not good - either they lost the side camera feed, or they didn't set it up. Having produced and set up broadcast coverage of Double AA pro baseball in my youth, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where to set up the cameras for best coverage, especially in volleyball. Do SFA film students serve as the camera operators and producers? On the positive side, at least Booger McFarland wasn't doing ESPN color commentary for the game.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Pilotgirl
Yes SFA students produce the video. Hopefully it will get better....
nacluth

Game day!!!!! Time to bring it Lumberjacks!
nacluth

Looking around...
No-look
nacluth said:

Game day!!!!! Time to bring it Lumberjacks!
. It's amazing! Dez hits that shot every time I watch it!
nacluth
He's hit it in my dreams for years now.
nacluth
Since I gave them a hard time yesterday, just wanted to acknowledge that SFA media went out and hustled up some content for Twitter and the SFA website. So good for them for making the switch to basketball. I'll generally say that SFA has been proactive in their responses to fans when they make suggestions lately, and that is huge. Keep building the brand!
RedRiverLa
They've done some good work in the past, it really comes down to a knowledgeable producer, so hopefully they get the right person.
Lumberjack Battalion
MasterAxe
I watched Duke, on three different possessions, force a low post entry pass from the top of the key, only for it to get intercepted, and I was so excited to see that even they do that.

For a minute last year I thought that play was unique to us.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

sfajack05 said:

That's alarming in itself, it was all over Twitter during the football game.
TallTexan
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

sfajack05 said:

That's alarming in itself, it was all over Twitter during the football game.

He's usually pretty good at staying on top of Twitter things. I was surprised as well. Oh also, they just got new cameras in last week, so those should be up & ready for basketball.
nacluth
Great AD. On top of things.
nacluth
Three hours left. Are the doors open yet?
PurpleOut
Staff
Surprisingly nobody has claimed my tickets, if anyone knows someone last minute.
SFASawmillGuy
Scheduling 3 D3 games is part of the reason we need to go undefeated in conference play for us to get a 14 seed or better. Our strength of schedule isn't good at all and once we enter conference play there are ZERO quality win opportunities. Only bad losses.
I'd like to see us try and get more D1 opponents. Even a bad D1 opponent is better for our resume than a good non D1 game.
nacluth
While I too would like better competition, it's actually not better for our SOS to play bad D1 competition. A D3 squad doesn't count into our ranking.

Ex. 4 games (1 team rated 50, 3 teams rated 299, 300, 301). Average strength would be: 237.5

4 games (1 team rated 50, 2 teams rated 299, 301, 1 D3 squad). According to NCAA, average strength: 216.7 because only 3 games count.

Playing D2+ teams benefits us over bad D1 play in strength of schedule. It doesn't build us up in terms of competition, but it helps in one NET metric.
nacluth
Get your pick in on the other thread!
MasterAxe
Waited all year long to see is get beat on a back door within the first 12 seconds.

Pilotgirl
Sound is awful on the ESPN+
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

Sound is awful on the ESPN+
and no score board - which maybe good for the first 10 minutes.

UPDATE: Sound works just fine on the commercials - a rude awakening after having to turn the play by play up to 80%
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

Waited all year long to see is get beat on a back door within the first 12 seconds.

LOL on this one
Lumberjack Battalion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.