Current Roster Update

18,224 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to take a look and get thoughts on current roster.

From what I can tell, here is who is still here:

Comeaux, Kevon, Sammi?, Mitch, Nate, Oddyst, (Please correct me if I am wrong)

HERE COMES SOME PRAISE!

The last few days we have seen SFA secure players from the JUCO ranks.

I love this methodology.

When was the last time we had a true freshman LEGIT contribute? Probably Kevon 3 years ago. That being said, the JUCO guys, generally, are more ready to step in and play/contribute immediately.

It would not shock me if the bulk of our JUCO signees ended up being starters.

Then, we just have to hope the freshman guys take adequate strides.

So, some rare (but necessary & warranted) praise for how Keller and staff have attacked the off-season, so far.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

From what I can tell, here is who is still here:

Comeaux, Kevon, Sammi?, Mitch, Nate, Oddyst, (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Several have said that Sammie is gone. Injuries are more than his body can take.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I agree with you Master (mostly) on this post. Due to all the open spots from last year's roster, I believe the staff has done well going after the Jucos that are game ready and much more likely to be team guys for the next 2 years. We need a full and active roster to allow the staff to put in more plays and sets on both offense and defense and I think we will see that improvement next season.
You do though still need those freshman recruits to come in and give SFA 4 years (such as Kevon will do) and to form the base of the team. IMO Jucos normally should be used to fill select spots or graduations...but there is always room for a couple of good ones. This year however the numbers dictate the need for more jucos and I'm all for it.
Now let's get a couple more dudes and get ready for the 2019/20 Rebound.
No-look
So with two spots left what positions do you go after? Point guard or a big or both?
cboothe09
Both. Solomon as your guard of the future and Daniel's as your veteran post that can fill the TJ void and take pressure off of Serraile/Pope.
BigJack85
If Serraile is the real deal he should be starting to peak mid-season. Most of the superstars seem to make that step during there sophomore season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
I expect BIG things from Mitch this year. He starting coming into his own towards the end of the season. Putting the entirety of the post play on him and a freshman is a lot to ask. I think Mitch starts from day 1 next year, but a guy like Daniel's would be good to give Mitch some rest and Pope some time to learn the college game.
RedRiverLa
I would love to see us go for a true big body in the mode that CJ was for us. Someone that can really move bodies around under the board. Kudos to Keller and this staff. Many of us felt he would quickly attack the issues and he has made the right 'paper' moves. Encouraged that it may translate to the court.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
LUMBERJACK2005
The coaching has to get better. Would like to see a player or two improve from one year to the next. I thought Kevon would be a monster by now, he isn't any better than he was as a freshman. Same with Holyfield. I could go on, but it'd be easier to name the ones who have gotten better.

Rance Cole - he developed from a walk-on to an almost playable roster member.
TallTexan
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

The coaching has to get better. Would like to see a player or two improve from one year to the next. I thought Kevon would be a monster by now, he isn't any better than he was as a freshman. Same with Holyfield. I could go on, but it'd be easier to name the ones who have gotten better.

I don't know what planet you're on if you think TJ and Kevon haven't improved. They both went from good freshmen to all conference players. They are monsters on the court.
sfa17
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevon-harris-1.html

Kevon has definitely improved. # don't lie. Wasn't kevon top scorer in the league(could be wrong)?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

I don't know what planet you're on if you think TJ and Kevon haven't improved. They both went from good freshmen to all conference players. They are monsters on the court.

It's not often that I'm forced to agree with the Texan about anything, but he's right on about TJ and Kevon. Vast improvements were obvious.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

RThe coaching has to get better. Would like to see a player or two improve from one year to the next. I thought Kevon would be a monster by now, he isn't any better than he was as a freshman. Same with Holyfield. I could go on, but it'd be easier to name the ones who have gotten better.

It's not often that I'm forced to agree with the Texan about anything, but he's right on about TJ and Kevon. Vast improvements were obvious.
What's a sports forum without a little controversy. Lol.
purplitis72
Too many of the other players didn't improve though and I have to wonder if coaching is what really affected the improvement in Kevon and T.J.
Kevon is a gym rat who is constantly working on his game by himself. They were both very good from the start in my opinion. Although both of them also have had many negative plays if you will look back at their turnovers per game. Bogues didn't improve from the year before. Kevon and TJ were both originally Underwood recruits. Hopefully Keller has improved as a coach. Underwood was much more transparent. The jury is still out in my opinion. How's that for controversy. I'm trying not to cross the lines here. I haven't written Keller off and I'm pulling for him.
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

Too many of the other players didn't improve though and I have to wonder if coaching is what really affected the improvement in Kevon and T.J.
Kevon is a gym rat who is constantly working on his game by himself. They were both very good from the start in my opinion. Although both of them also have had many negative plays if you will look back at their turnovers per game. Bogues didn't improve from the year before. Kevon and TJ were both originally Underwood recruits. Hopefully Keller has improved as a coach. Underwood was much more transparent. The jury is still out in my opinion. How's that for controversy. I'm trying not to cross the lines here. I haven't written Keller off and I'm pulling for him.

Hmmm.... purplilitis72, have you ever heard of a guy that went by the moniker of Gazette?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

purplitis72 said:

RToo many of the other players didn't improve though and I have to wonder if coaching is what really affected the improvement in Kevon and T.J.

Hmmm.... purplilitis72, have you ever heard of a guy that went by the moniker of Gazette?
I'm assuming Kasper could have done a better job. Lol
Ljacks&Longnecks
He is Gazette, I called that days ago , he is not fooling anyone.
Pilotgirl
Becoming a better player is just not contingent on good coaching...it's made up of a variety of aspects...being a gym rat is one of them...maturing...nutrition, drills, etc. (the list goes on). UGH.

It's a beautiful Spring Day..let's enjoy the good news of all. the awesome players we have coming to Nac!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Right on all counts Pilotgirl. The coaching staff has done a great job in signing players to fill in our roster needs. We are going to have a deep bench next season and should see vast improvement over last year.
LUMBERJACK2005
TallTexan said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

I live on Earth. Not sure how many other sawmillers are posting from other planets, but for those of you who are...send me a t-shirt.

Of course the kids improved, I think some improvement is inevitable just due to physical maturation. If you look at their numbers though, did they really improve that much?

Holyfield averaged almost 8 ppg and 4 rpg as a freshman in 19mpg. Sophomore, scored 11 ppg and grabbed 7 rpg in 28 mpg. As a junior, he was averaging 13 ppg and 6 rpg in 27 mpg. So from year one to year two you could really argue that his increase stats were inevitable with the increased playing time. From year two to year three, he didn't progress statistically at all, he regressed. While he was still a good player, IMO, he stagnated under Keller.

Harris's stats have increased substantially, but so has his usage, so looking at averages alone doesn't really do anything.
Points per FGA - freshman (1.5) sophomore (1.45) junior (1.57)
Rebounds per minute - freshman (.16), sophomore (.2) junior (.18)

Both kids are/were great players for us, I never meant to take anything away from them, but the numbers don't lie. Neither kid has improved, statistically speaking, drastically from where they were when they got to the program. I want nothing more than for Coach Keller and every other coach at SFA win every game, make every player they recruit into all-stars, get elected to hall of fames, etc.; so make no mistake there.

Signing off from planet earth.
sfa17
purplitis72 said:

Kevon and TJ were both originally Underwood recruits. Hopefully Keller has improved as a coach. Underwood was much more transparent. The jury is still out in my opinion.
Kevon was not an Underwood recruit. Or Underwood would have taken him to OSU like he did averrette. We didn't hear about Kevon until Keller was hired.
Jacks4460
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

He is Gazette, I called that days ago , he is not fooling anyone.
Dude thats my job to undercover Gazette... hahahahahahah
Jacks4460
sfa17 said:

purplitis72 said:

Kevon and TJ were both originally Underwood recruits. Hopefully Keller has improved as a coach. Underwood was much more transparent. The jury is still out in my opinion.
Kevon was not an Underwood recruit. Or Underwood would have taken him to OSU like he did averrette. We didn't hear about Kevon until Keller was hired.
Kevon was recruited by Mason I believe..
LUMBERJACK2005
The greater point I was attempting to make (admittedly did a poor job of stating such) was that for SFA to sustain success, we have to recruit and develop. I'm a little worried that our recent success combined with this staffs recruiting targets (pre- spring JUCO bonanza), that we are getting away from what's made us successful.

Not sure if that was a shot taken at Coach Kaspar or not, but, that man can flat out coach. The definition of a players coach is something he won't ever be confused for, but he is every bit as responsible for the success SFA has had as Underwood. Apologies if you were the Kaspar comment was in jest.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Going to commemorate this day with one of those etched bricks they sell for fundraisers.
CertifiedAxeman98
We are way off topic "current roster" probably need coach/Keller thread somewhere.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

We are way off topic "current roster" probably need coach/Keller thread somewhere.

True. Way off base. Let's get back to talking TEAM and PLAYERS.
CertifiedAxeman98
I will be interested to see who starts at PG next year. We actually have some options for next year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I will be interested to see who starts at PG next year. We actually have some options for next year.

Me, too. Sight unseen, I suppose that Kachelries (man, I'm going to mess up the spelling and pronunciation of his name for the next seven months) would be my projected starter at this point, based on his 6.8 assists per game average in JUCO. That's not too shabby.
purplitis72
We still need another point guard. Walker is not a true point guard.
BigJack85
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

The greater point I was attempting to make (admittedly did a poor job of stating such) was that for SFA to sustain success, we have to recruit and develop. I'm a little worried that our recent success combined with this staffs recruiting targets (pre- spring JUCO bonanza), that we are getting away from what's made us successful.

Not sure if that was a shot taken at Coach Kaspar or not, but, that man can flat out coach. The definition of a players coach is something he won't ever be confused for, but he is every bit as responsible for the success SFA has had as Underwood. Apologies if you were the Kaspar comment was in jest.

2005. Your points are well taken and on point. Literally and figuratively. Development isn't just player improvement it's also integration into a system that allows the best players to thrive. Also pulls up the average players.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
purplitis72
I stand corrected Kevon was part of Kellers first signing class. I looked it up.
No-look
With the recruits that we have now on paper and one more to go, how would one rank this recruiting class so far as opposed to recruiting classes of the recent past? I know that recruiting kids that haven't played D1 is a gamble but how does it compare on paper?
purplitis72
On paper it appears to be number one if you add up the stars. But, the fact that there are going to be 8 of them contributes to that number.
PurpleOut
Staff
Rance Cole appears to be at PVAMU now.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.