SFA / Texas Wesleyan

24,276 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (0-0) vs. Texas Wesleyan (1-1)

WHEN: NOV. 6 (TUE) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

Was really waiting for the patented SFAXE93 game thread, but got impatient with just 3 days until basketball!

Decently tall NAIA team with a fair amount of JUCO transfers and a upperclassmen heavy class. Last year they were 22-11 (14-6) and scored 82.2 ppg.

Beat LSU-Shreveport in their opener by a bucket. Lost to #2 LSU-Alexandria big the next game. I don't know what it means that they have games Monday and Thursday on their schedule but don't list us (their biggest game of the year) at all. Averaging 72 pts through first two.

2 freshmen
3 sophmores
6 juniors
5 seniors
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
what do you guys think our starting 5 will be?
nacluth
G: Bogues
G: Harris
F: Bain
F: Fitzgerald
C: Grujic

I think that's the starters for just this game. I could see Walker starting at point with Bogues coming off the bench at 3 minutes to speed up play. Like last year. I see Sammy as first off the bench if he's healthy.
No-look
nacluth said:

I think that's the starters for just this game. I could see Walker starting at point with Bogues coming off the bench at 3 minutes to speed up play. Like last year. I see Sammy as first off the bench if he's healthy.
Sammy played some solid minutes last year down the stretch. Hope that carries over this year. Gonna miss Leon's defense. Just hope the chemistry is there with the new guys.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sammy should start over Jovan, if healthy enough to play. I don't think he's practiced much, so I'm assuming his conditioning isn't great right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

It pains me to think that Gru can be (has to be) a starter, but it is what it is. Little to no scoring to be expected there.

And I guess we have to assume that the NCAA has taken a "No go" opinion about lifting the Nicholas redshirt.
BigJack85
That red shirt thing could drag on.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Just getting ready...

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
THE YEAR OF THE GRU
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

THE YEAR OF THE GRU
Man, I'll take even half a Year of the Gru if it's decent. Maybe he got an injection of Aggression over the summer. (Is that stuff legal?)
nacluth
Are we getting a season preview article? Because if not, I'm going to have to fake my way through one.
No-look
Where is this guy called Isaac?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I think he's fallen down in the DFW area and can't get up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Are we getting a season preview article? Because if not, I'm going to have to fake my way through one.
Go for it, Nacluth. We need a BB fix badly!
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

And we need a WBB season preview from Emily, too. Have they all left us out here in the roundball wasteland unattended?
No-look
Is game time 6:30?
nacluth
Yessir.
Pilotgirl
I will be watching from the app Those in attendance, cheer loud for me. I will be at the Nov 25th game.
KirkHeath12
Game Day! The start to a conference championship.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Finally Game day!!!!!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
KirkHeath12 said:

Game Day! The start to a conference championship.

Start to an NCAA tourney run. Fixed it for you.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Finally Game day!!!!!

OK, that one's a little spookey.....
nacluth
It might be a slaughter...
BigJack85
Let's get this going. Start training up those freshman......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Texas Wesleyan beat Jarvis Christian 84-81 last night.

It appears that they are a guard-heavy team, with their two leading scorers being 6'0" Juwan Jones and 5'10" Rob Thomas, but they do have a 6"9" forward in Julian Torres, who appears to be their leading rebounder, and 6'8" Diing Diing. (Purple Haze might have fun with that one.) Diing is listed as a guard (?).
nacluth
I apologize tonight if you hear someone yelling "DING DING!!!" every time a certain someone touches the ball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I apologize tonight if you hear someone yelling "DING DING!!!" every time a certain someone touches the ball.
I said PURPLE HAZE should have some fun with it, Ryan!
jboy93
Jyank24
Anyone with a first sniff of our Starting 5? Shouldn't matter tonight, but Cohesion will be important for a tourney run in March
TallTexan
Jyank24 said:

Anyone with a first sniff of our Starting 5? Shouldn't matter tonight, but Cohesion will be important for a tourney run in March

My guess:
Oddyst
Bogues
Kevon
Fitzgerald
Boban 2.0
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Jyank24 said:

My guess:

Boban 2.0
?? I give up...
Jyank24
TallTexan said:

Jyank24 said:

My guess:
Oddyst
Bogues
Kevon
Fitzgerald
Boban 2.0

Oddyst would be an interesting start. Looking forward to see if Fitzgerald can be the force we expect him to be. That's 3 big time scorers in starting 5. My only issue is where does our 2nd unit get its points from. Can Mitch and Jock contribute 10 mins each and be productive. Let's hope for some garbage time..get the end of the bench some minutes tonight
PurpleOut
Staff
Bogues appeared to be running the plays in the scrimmage, so I'm assuming he's going to be handling the ball the most.

Bogues
Kevon
Bain
Fitz
Grujic or Sammy

I'd prefer Sammy to start, but not sure how his health/conditioning is.
Txjack
nacluth said:

I wouldn't care if we are playing the Nacogdoches Boys and Girls Club B team, I am still looking forward to this.
nacluth
Txjack said:

nacluth said:

I wouldn't care if we are playing the Nacogdoches Boys and Girls Club B team, I am still looking forward to this.
Absolutely!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.