WEEK 2: ALCORN STATE

5,696 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) SFA (0-1) VS. ALCORN STATE (0-1)

WHEN: Sept. 9, 2023 (Sat.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: Nacogdoches, Texas (Homer Bryce Stadium)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES 4-0-0

W 2022 - SFA:31; ALCORN STATE:27 (Lorman)
W 2003 - SFA:60; ALCORN STATE:7 (Nac.)
W 1986 - SFA:29; ALCORN STATE:12 (Lorman)
W 1985 - SFA:42; ALCORN STATE:12 (Nac.)

After a sold performance on the road against the defending SBC Champions, the Lumberjacks of SFA return home to the Pineywoods for a rematch with SWAC foe Alcorn State Braves.

The Braves are coming off a 14-40 loss at Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, where the ASU defense gave up 145 yards rushing and 296 yards passing.

On the other side of the ball ASU did put up 182 yards rushing and scored two TD's.

The offense is lead by junior Louisiana Tech transfer #4 Aaron Allen 6-1; 200 out of Missouri City, Texas.

Last season Allen played in 8 games completing 121 passes for 1,424 yards 8 TD's and 7 INT's. He completed 5 passes for 44 yards against Southern Miss.

Also, seeing playing time at QB know for his running ability is Sophomore Missouri transfer #7 Tyler Macon 6-0; 198, who threw 2 picks against the Golden Eagles with no completions, but did rush 4 times for 83 yards and a TD.

Syracuse transfer senior RB #0 Jarveon Howard 5-10; 200 last season ran for 1,275 yards (5.1 average) and 12 TD's. He had 47 yards on 13 carries in the first game of 2023.

Speedy back junior #5 Niko Duffey 5-11; 175 also will see time in the backfield, who has a career of 2,004 yards (5.0 average) and 12 TD's.

Basically ALS likes to line up and run the ball with their three headed monster of Macon, Howard, and Duffey.

On defense look for Rice junior transfer LB #2 Terreance Ellis 6-2; 220 who had 11 tackles and a FF against Southern Miss. Last season he lead the team with 92 tackles 9.5 TFL, and 4 sacks.

The secondary is lead by junior DB #25 Edwin Summerour 5-11; 180 who had 11 tackles 1 TFL and 1PBU against the Golden Eagles.

The Braves were 5-6 last season scoring 21 points a game while giving up 25.

As I said before they like to run the ball only scoring 9 passing TD's all of last season. They averaged 175 yards rushing and scored 16 TD's on the ground.

Last season in Lorman, Mississippi the Braves gave SFA fits taking a 24-10 lead into the half, before the Jacks pulled it out with 2 minutes remaining in the game 31-27.

After the Troy game, the Lumberjacks can be sure to see teams go run heavy to test their defensive front for those explosive plays, and that's the Alcorn State Braves specialty.

I for one think the Jacks are up for the challenge.

Axe'EM
SFAXE93
BigJack85
If we control the line of offensive line of attack like we did against Troy, we will find success. Hopefully our LB corp makes some strides this week.
sfajack05
For our defense looking for our front 7 to show some improvement. It was concerning how they got pushed around and all the wide open holes that Troy got and giving up 342 yards rushing.

Offense would like to see them push the ball more down the field through the air.

Hoping to make the game. Kiddo has soccer that afternoon.

SFAXE93
What a hit from the SFA OL.

SFAXE93
Well then I have some editing to do.

sfajack05
Sure is quiet on the Alcorn thread...
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

Here are some topics/posts to stir it up.

"Season over if we win."
"Fire everyone if we lose."
"Offense sucks."
"Defense sucks."
"Hey, Campos is good."
"Carthel maybe isn't the guy."

Feels like a good starting point.

In all seriousness, I do want to see what the defense does. Yes, Troy is a good FBS team with a good RB...but Alcorn ran for 182 on just 29 carries against Southern Miss (Who did win a bowl game last year), and had a top 50 rush defense last year.

So, should be a good test.

I don't worry about the offense...Maurer just getting warmed up. I anticipate them cutting him loose a bit more.

Would like to see more designed runs for him,

sfajack05
MasterAxe said:

sfajack05 said:

"Season over if we win."
"Offense sucks."
"Defense sucks."
"Hey, Campos is good."

In all seriousness, I do want to see what the defense does. Yes, Troy is a good FBS team with a good RB...but Alcorn ran for 182 on just 29 carries against Southern Miss (Who did win a bowl game last year), and had a top 50 rush defense last year.

I don't worry about the offense...Maurer just getting warmed up. I anticipate them cutting him loose a bit more.

Rush defense definitely scares me and probably the group that needs to see the most improvement. It was the open holes that concerns me the most. Looks like me playing basketball as someone drives past me.

A few of our opponents last week.

Tarleton: 210 yards rushing against McNeese
ACU: 268 vs Northern Colorado

As the great Texas High School Coach Bud Kilmer once said, "you understand that by running the ball, we control the clock" and with the new rules some of these teams will keep our offense on the sideline if they are able to run like that on us.
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

MasterAxe said:

sfajack05 said:

"Season over if we win."
"Offense sucks."
"Defense sucks."
"Hey, Campos is good."

Rush defense definitely scares me and probably the group that needs to see the most improvement. It was the open holes that concerns me the most. Looks like me playing basketball as someone drives past me.

A few of our opponents last week.

Tarleton: 210 yards rushing against McNeese
ACU: 268 vs Northern Colorado

As the great Texas High School Coach Bud Kilmer once said, "you understand that by running the ball, we control the clock" and with the new rules some of these teams will keep our offense on the sideline if they are able to run like that on us.

Ya. I think this game will come down to rush defense.
AxeEm99
I was highly impressed by the team I saw last week. It has been 5 long years of Carthel rebuilding the program and it is our time to shine in the FCS now! With Sam Houston no longer being a yearly distraction, I think the next few years will be really bright! Hopefully we can stay in the FCS and enjoy some consistent success!!
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

I was highly impressed by the team I saw last week. It has been 5 long years of Carthel rebuilding the program and it is our time to shine in the FCS now! With Sam Houston no longer being a yearly distraction, I think the next few years will be really bright! Hopefully we can stay in the FCS and enjoy some consistent success!!

Ya. Carthel is the right guy.

A new fieldhouse wouldn't hurt. I think we can win 7-8 games this season if the chips fall our way.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

Ya. Carthel is the right guy.

A new fieldhouse wouldn't hurt. I think we can win 7-8 games this season if the chips fall our way.
yes a new field house is needed very badly..
SFAXE93
Yea, Carthel ain't going nowhere.

As I take a sip of my HTeaO
SFAXE93
Ivy was talking about that on a Podcast, saying the field house has not been updated since 1988.

He also talked about how UAC teams like Tarleton have been pouring millions into their football program and as a result we are getting left behind.

And he doesn't know what becoming a member of UT system will do for the athletic program, in terms of money.

sfajack05
What are the chances PHA actually shows up with more than 10 students?
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

What are the chances PHA actually shows up with more than 10 students?

Let's be optimistic. I'd be pleased if we could get 75. Maybe 50-60 stay the entire game.

I'll be pitching in , come September 30th
SFASawmillGuy
One more night until the home opener!
SFAXE93
MasterAxe
Sidebar topic: Curious what the broadcast looks like.

I'm currently watching the Longview vs Legacy game broadcast by Longview Gameday and it is exponentially better than what we had last year.

Hopefully that element has improved.
SFASawmillGuy
I'm curious as well. I'm expecting to make it to Nac by game time but my son will be born in a few weeks so the second half of the season will be watched on ESPN+.

I'm just curious as to why the old SFA All-Access streams 10 years ago were way better than the current ESPN+ steams, and that goes for all sports. Surely we didn't downgrade our equipment/standards for personnel when we moved to the largest sports broadcasting platform on earth.
sfajack05
SFASawmillGuy said:

I'm curious as well. I'm expecting to make it to Nac by game time but my son will be born in a few weeks so the second half of the season will be watched on ESPN+.

I'm just curious as to why the old SFA All-Access streams 10 years ago were way better than the current ESPN+ steams, and that goes for all sports. Surely we didn't downgrade our equipment/standards for personnel when we moved to the largest sports broadcasting platform on earth.

Heard there was an issue between the comm department and athletic department. There should be no reason students can't get some sort of credit or paid to do that. I know MasterAxe and myself got paid to shoot all the games and this was when we were using a projector until our last two years.

You see what ACU, NWST and others put out and we've been left behind.
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Heard there was an issue between the comm department and athletic department. There should be no reason students can't get some sort of credit or paid to do that. I know MasterAxe and myself got paid to shoot all the games and this was when we were using a projector until our last two years.

Ya. Let's put some collaboration together.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Ya. Let's put some collaboration together.

I'm all for collaboration and getting students some experience. Not sure what the issue is but I know Ivey said a few years ago that they have trouble keeping students working the cameras/equipment/etc. If it was a class or practicum then you wouldn't have that issue because it's for a grade.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure a SFA comm major got a job with ESPN and was running the spider camera during national broadcasts and his experience doing the SFA games helped him.

It's a great opportunity. Wish I had that opportunity when I was there.
BigJack85
Line opened with SFA a 13.5 point favorite. Now 10.5.

Some money is moving towards Alcorn.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Audio starting off badly. Have to crank the volume way up for poor sound.
sfajack05
Alright guys…let's keep down the negative comments during the game. Only positivity.

Don't want to upset anyone on Twitter who has only been here for a hot minute.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Audio starting off badly. Have to crank the volume way up for poor sound.

It's back! Nearly blew out my speakers.

Also, must have run out of budget to build a down and distance into the graphic.

But, at least we're able to watch
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great special team score!!!
sfajack05
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Great special team score!!!

Good positive play!
BigJack85
Defense looks solid. If the passing ever gets going we could be dangerous.

A buddy sent me a picture of the student side. Very solid showing. Axe 'Em Jacks.
sfajack05
Saw a picture of Purple Haze on twitter. Reminds me of when I was there. Great turnout.
SFASawmillGuy
Maurer has an arm!
MasterAxe
Crash Davis about Nuke Laloosh and Brian Maurer…

"You got a gift. When you were a baby, the Gods reached down and turned your right arm into a thunderbolt."
BigJack85
A couple of catches away from breaking this thing open.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.