WEEK 1: (RV) TROY

7,488 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (0-0) VS. (RV) TROY (0-0)

Defending WAC Champions versus Defending SBC Champions
WHEN: Sept. 2, 2023 (Sat.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: Troy, Alabama (Verterans Memorial Stadium)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Troy Sports Radio Network
DeMarcus Ware Day

SERIES 2-2-0

L 2000 - Troy:6; SFA:0 (Nac.)
L 1999 - Troy:27; SFA:7 (Troy)
W 1998 - SFA:21; Troy:14 (Nac.)
W 1997 - SFA:20; Troy:13 (Troy)

After 3-straight losing seasons in the Sun Belt Conference, the Trojans of Troy are coming off their best FBS season in program history (12-2-0 record, Conference and Bowl Champions, finishing #19 in the final AP Poll)

Now currently riding an 11-game winning streak (7 straight at home) that started back almost a year ago in what can be called a complete resurrection of a football program, under then first year head coach Jon Sumrall (Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year)

In 2022, coach Sumrall, known for his defense, had the defensive units holding opponents to under their season averages in scoring, including three of the top 25 scoring teams in the country (UTSA, Western Kentucky, App. State)

Offense returns 7 starters

The offense is lead by returning senior QB #18 Gunnar Watson 6-3; 215 who last season completed 206 passes (61%) for 2,818 yards and 14 TDs (with 12 INTs)

They do take a hit on offense, losing their top 2 starting receivers, who combined for 92 catches, 1,576 yards and 11 TDs.

On the ground the Trojans return SBC all conference senior RB #28 Kimani Vidal 5-8; 215 who in 2022 rushed for 1,132 yards and 10 TD's (11th player in Troy history to go over a thousand yards rushing in a season and only the second player to rush for over 200 yards in a game in multiple games)

Defense returns 6 starters

The defense loses their top 3 leading tacklers, but do return their top DB's in junior CB #18 Reddy Steward 5-11; 180 (2023 Bednarik Award Watch List) and CB #11 Fletcher O'Shai 5-11; 174 who combined for 20 PBU and 3 INTs last season.

Troy: ?
Louisiana Tech: 17-52
Texas Tech: 22-28 (SFA up 13-7 at the half)
UTEP: 14-24 (SFA up 14-3 in the 2nd)
UTSA: 10-24 (down 10-17 in the 3rd)
SMU: 7-50
Memphis: 14-56 (down 14-20 late in the 3rd
Baylor: 17-56 (down 7-14 in the 2nd)

We all know how things go when it comes to FBS games, but on the positive, SFA has been more competitive under Coach Carthel.

Axe'EM
SFAXE93
I see Troy going run heavy in this game, with their stud running back behind 3 returning starters on the offensive line.
nacluth
Nice write up 93. Looks like historically close games. Would love to see another one.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Troy is FBS, at home and should be heavily favored. Thing to watch is how long can SFA be competitive and giving effort for 60 minutes. An upset would be great but it's not expected. Would like to see us avoid turnovers and avoid a blowout. With our unbalanced home/road schedule we follow up with 3 September home games so the Jacks certainly have the opportunity to grab some wins on the front end of the season prior to the new conference games.
Lots of unknowns right now. Lost some key players from last year, now others must step up. Can't afford to take 3 or 4 games to get our feet under us...need to come out swinging and show some hunger for success.
SFAXE93
And with these money games it's always about depth, and most of the time the full team doesn't even travel for various reasons.

It's easy to run out of gas late in the 3rd or early 4th quarter to where the wheels come off. (It didn't happen though at Tech in 2021.)

Your guess is as good as mine on who is starting, but with so much experience and size returning on the O-line, as well as the nice stable of RBs, the Jacks should find some success moving the ball down the field with the run and shorting the game.

OL: #73 NATE ADAMS 6-7; 321 (SO.)
OL: #66 KEEGAN HOLM 6-5; 310 (G/SR.)
OL: #65 CLINT LAPIC 6-5; 300 (G/SR.)
OL: #72 JUSTICE GUILLORY 6-4; 335 (SR.)
OL: #51 DANIEL KEYS 6-6; 340 (JR.)
TE: #82 CHAD AUNE 6-5; 260 (JR.)

RB: #21 JADEN STEWART 6-1; 220 (JR.)
RB: #22 KORBYN WHITE 5-9; 190 (JR.)
RB: #34 JA'BRAY YOUNG 5-9; 225 (JR.)
RB: #10 JERRELL WIMBLEY 5-11; 195 (SO.)
RB: #20 ANTHONY WILLIAMS 6-1; 211 (SO.)
RB: #26 JUSTIN MAZE 5-9; 175 (R/FR.)
RB: #24 JAYLEN JENKINS 5-11; 185 (FR.)

Not to mention Maurer (if he is starting) can run the ball as well.
QB: #7 BRIAN MAURER 6-5; 215 (JR.)
Jacks4460
Fr running back from Cedar Hill going to be a stud.. OL is 10 deep and the OT transfer from Hawaii is the best OL we have.. That should tell you something because Justice,Keys,Lampic,, and Keegan are studs..
SFAXE93
Any idea who starts on the defensive front and at LB?

DL: #54 AMAD MURRAY 6-5; 255 (G/SR.)
DL: #99 EDWARD BOBINO III 6-2; 340 (SO.)
DL: #50 JORDON THOMAS 6-4; 300 (SO.)
DL: #18 MARJE SMITH 6-5; 210 (G/SR.)

LB: #25 LUKE WATSON 6-2; 218 (SO.)
LB: #0 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 210 (JR.)
LB: #45 EMAN GARRISON 6-0; 215 (JR.)
Jacks4460
Thomas on the DL and the LB spots are probably going to be new players..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

Thomas on the DL and the LB spots are probably going to be new players..

My biggest concern…. LB Corp
SFAXE93
LB: #35 CHRISTIAN RICHARDS 5-11; 215 (SR.)
LB: #45 EMAN GARRISON 6-0; 215 (JR.)
LB: #36 JAYDON SOUTHARD 6-0; 210 (SO.)
LB: #22 NATE FRANKATHER 6-3; 215 (SO.)
LB: #29 RYAN WILLIAMS 6-1; 195 (R/FR.)
LB: #39 KALEB SELLS 5-11; 180 (R/FR.)

It will probably be Brown and Richards or Garrison with a rover, like DB: #9 DYLAN TOOKER 5-9; 190 (JR.) that guy is a hitting tank.
MasterAxe
As with all of these games, get our money and get out relatively healthy.

Long shot to win, don't do anything to jeopardize the actual season.
TroyBoyz Podcast
Really looking forward to our game. Y'all's OLine is definitely FBS caliber and should give us fits, especially with TJ Jackson on the naughty stool for undisclosed team rules violations.

We will release an episode breaking down the game featuring a former Lumberjack in our Know Your Foe segment. I'll be sure to post the link here next week so y'all can enjoy.

If anybody makes the trip to Troy, feel free to message me and we could show you around to some good tailgates on campus. Troy is beautiful little town and football season in Troy is the best time to be there.

Best of luck this season! - Joe, Troy Boyz Podcast
BigJack85
TroyBoyz Podcast said:

Really looking forward to our game. Y'all's OLine is definitely FBS caliber and should give us fits, especially with TJ Jackson on the naughty stool for undisclosed team rules violations.

We will release an episode breaking down the game featuring a former Lumberjack in our Know Your Foe segment. I'll be sure to post the link here next week so y'all can enjoy.

If anybody makes the trip to Troy, feel free to message me and we could show you around to some good tailgates on campus. Troy is beautiful little town and football season in Troy is the best time to be there.

Look forward to hearing it. Axe 'Em Jacks.
BigJack85
TroyBoyz Podcast said:

In my opinion, this is an opportunity for the Lumberjacks to rebound to what they looked like in that 8-3 season. We were dangerous because we were competent in almost every aspect of the game. If we can avoid giving up big running plays, we could be that team. DB's look to be much improved. OLine. Could be REALLY good. If they turn out to be "solid" "don't make mistakes" kind of OLine, 7-4 might be what we get.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
I like us playing G5 schools over P5 schools. This is definitely a lot more winnable than a lot of our previous FBS matchups but as previously said, it will be a very tough game.

They have a phenomenal running game and very strong pass rush, so I hope we have a game plan set up to combat that. Gonna need quick passes and a lot of plays that don't require long set ups to keep our offense on the field.

I'm most excited to see how our defense looks. Our offense could be dead in the water and we still have one of the best offenses in the country, that's just the nature of these matchups, but if our defense can keep them from rattling off big runs and can force some key third down stops, there will be a lot to be excited for this season.

Of course if we get blown out, don't read into it. That's kind of the beauty of these games. We stand to lose nothing so long as we don't have any injuries, but can gain national recognition if we pull off the upset.
SFASawmillGuy
5 days til game time, and still no QB1 named as of yet. I guess that keeps Troy guessing too, since both QBs are so different.

I am fired up for this game and the season to begin. Carthel has built this team to last, so hopefully by the 4th quarter we're in position to pull out an upset. He said in the Down The Stretch podcast this is probably the toughest FBS opponent we've faced outside of Baylor his first year, but something about the talent and experience we have on this roster has me feeling we will be able to give them a fight.
SFAXE93
IMO, with the depth discrepancy between a FCS and FBS team, it always comes down to keeping the defense from getting exhausted from too many 3 and outs. (ex. Memphis game)

If SFA can run the ball consistently behind that massive offensive line and move the chains, the defense will be better off down the stretch in the 4th. (ex. Texas Tech game)
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Carthel needs some sleep. Major bags under his eyes.

Anyone know what the payday will be for this game?
Fingers crossed that the Jacks come out of it healthy.
SFASawmillGuy
Yeah, we need him in tip top shape to swing his shirt after the Jacks chop down some Trojans!
SFASawmillGuy
Huge amount of respect from Jon Sumrall about Saturday's matchup. Troy is not going to overlook us, so we will need to show up with a full cylinder and fire away early and often.

SFASawmillGuy
And zero respect from the Troy Boyz to go along with that.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/troyboyz
BigJack85
Listened to the Troy Boyz podcast. To say the least, Troy does not see SFA as a credible foe. I would say they are looking at us as Lincoln University of California. I get it, we flopped last year.

Defense, defense, defense, defense. Our defense will be tested against Troy. If we can hang with Troy for the 1st half, we could be scare them. That's about all I see. I don't think we can hang with Troy for 4 quarters.

Final score - Troy 35 SFA 17
TheRevSFA
I know I was negative on my pod and the Troy one and I wasn't meaning to be but it's so hard to determine what we have based upon last year.

I know we have the defensive talent but do we have the ability to stop the run this year?

I think we cover against Troy and it's a good start. I also think we can be 4-1 before October begins and that's a top 25 ranking
BigJack85
TheRevSFA said:

I know I was negative on my pod and the Troy one and I wasn't meaning to be but it's so hard to determine what we have based upon last year.

I know we have the defensive talent but do we have the ability to stop the run this year?

I think we cover against Troy and it's a good start. I also think we can be 4-1 before October begins and that's a top 25 ranking

I think the skepticism is around our wide receiver and line backers. Defense is up in the air Offense could be good. Really good if a couple receivers develop.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'd forgotten about last year's run defense
That certainly has to improve this year. Since Troy is/was a good running team last year, here comes a big test for that run D.
SFAXE93
Coach Sumrall must have a SFA depth chart or one that they came up with themselves.

He was describing this lineup

DL: #54 AMAD MURRAY 6-5; 255 (G/SR.)
DL: #99 EDWARD BOBINO III 6-2; 340 (SO.)
DL: #96 TA'SHOYN JOHNSON 6-1; 265 (SR.)
DL: #18 MARJE SMITH 6-5; 210 (G/SR.)

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
BigJack85
I wonder about our depth at O-Line. Will we get a depth chart? Do they even do that anymore?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.