#22 SFA vs. LAMAR

12,128 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#22 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (7-3; 5-2) VS. LAMAR (2-8; 0-6)

WHEN: NOV. 20 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: BEAUMONT, TEXAS PROVOST UMPHREY STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7

Usually at this time of the year, Lumberjack fans are putting football far behind and out of their minds, turning their thoughts more to basketball. We may need to start learning to multi task as your SFA Lumberjacks maybe on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 2014. And with the way this coaching staff has the program going, we better get used to thinking about football during basketball season.

One more regular season game to take care of as the Jacks take their 4-game winning streak into Beaumont, to take on the winless conference Cardinals of Lamar who have now lost 7 straight.

There is no nice way to put this, but Lamar is really bad as they average 257 total yards of total offense and 16 points a game, while giving up 410 total yards and 36 points a game.

What does this mean? They have nothing to lose and this is their Bowl game, to pull out all the stops, onside kicks, fake punts, and just razzle dazzle all day.

Lamar has played 4 QBs this season, on a rush heavy offense, who have combined for 171 completions, 49%; 1,131 yards, 7 TDs and 5 INTS, so take your pick who starts.

The team as a whole has rushed for 1,487 yards 3.4 yard average and 14 TDs averaging 149 yards a game on the ground.

With a weak passing game and the Lumberjacks dominate secondary, look for the Lumberjacks to stack the box and shut the Cards running game down.

The series has gone back and forth in the last 5 games, and technically it is our turn to lose in the pattern…

2019 W 24-17
2018 L 17-24
2017 W 34-7
2013 L 45-46
2012 W 40-26

…but this game should not even be remotely close, with the Lumberjacks peeking at the right time, and if they get in, will be primed for a nice run in the 2021 Division I College Football Playoffs.

Axe'Em
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
New rankings are not out, but I think we will be at #24. If not PO can change it.
Jacks4460
YES SIRRRRR How many actually thought we would be in the playoff hunt... You can expect a big win here... The boys will not let their foot up off the pedal I can promise you that.. Enjoy the ride..
TallTexan
Ya this is kinda like the JSU game in my estimation in terms of let down risk.

Gonna need to play our best game of the season, not just to beat Lamar, but we need some style points for the selectors to secure that at large.
SFASawmillGuy
We're #22 in the coaches polls.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

We're #22 in the coaches polls.
Awesome.

Is that the most referenced/notable poll or is there another one dropping later?
SFASawmillGuy
Both stats and coaches poll.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

New rankings are not out, but I think we will be at #24. If not PO can change it.
Done
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93
SFA has not been ranked this high in football since the 2012 season when SFA was #19 in week 1.

We all know how long that lasted.

2010 SFA was #9 in week 1 and went up to #4 by week 8 and finished #8 in the final poll.
2009 SFA was #10 in the final poll after starting the season unranked and no votes.
SFASawmillGuy
Looking at the schedules of everyone in front of us I see a couple of losses in there, so I could very easily see us cracking the top 20 by the playoffs.
We got hot at the right time. If we can maintain it anything can happen.
SFAXE93
I believe this team can beat anyone in the playoffs.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

I know we can...The team feels the same way... We are talented folks and have a great staff... It could happen..Getting in the playoffs is key... Even with a win vs Lamar doesn't guarantee us a spot in the playoffs... I have seen some crazier things happen...If we do make the playoffs (which we deserve with a Lamar Win) then people better watch out.. We are peaking at the right time... Coach and staff know what they are doing..
TallTexan
Yep. Gotta focus on playing our game on Saturday and getting that win.

We deserve to be there, but first we got to take care of business in Beaumont.
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I know we can...The team feels the same way... We are talented folks and have a great staff... It could happen..Getting in the playoffs is key... Even with a win vs Lamar doesn't guarantee us a spot in the playoffs... I have seen some crazier things happen...If we do make the playoffs (which we deserve with a Lamar Win) then people better watch out.. We are peaking at the right time... Coach and staff know what they are doing..

I'm optimistic while at the same time being realistic. It's possible that MVFC eats up so many at large bids that we get left hanging out to dry.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
DRATINGS has us just missing the cut as the last 4 out.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/fcs-playoff-projections/
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/fcs-playoff-projections/

If that's the case I say "FBS or bust!"
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

We're going to have to cheer for a strategic upset or two, like Nicholls over SELA.
SFASawmillGuy
I still don't see us missing the playoffs in any case if we win on Saturday. I think with how well our defense has performed and the fact Xavier Gipson is a legit contender for the Walter Payton, we've got just enough style points to make our case pretty clear.

That being said of course we are one of the last few in so if we get left out, screw it, let's go to C-USA.
SFAXE93
Will need to beat Lamar pretty good too, can't be close like, 27-17 needs to be more like 63-3.

Man just get this team in and then watch their dust.

It would be so disappointing, kind of like when the 2019-2020 Men's BB team didn't get to show their stuff in the post season.
HJC69
And look at our losses. Power 5 by 6, #1 in FCS by 1, and team that beat Florida State! Would truly be an injustice if we don't get in.
TallTexan
HJC69 said:

And look at our losses. Power 5 by 6, #1 in FCS by 1, and team that beat Florida State! Would truly be an injustice if we don't get in.
Absolutely. Should be win and in.
millenniumkat
You are going to have to beat Lamar so badly that the committee will place you above bubble, 7 D1 win teams that have better wins than sfa. Theres a lot of them this year. Its not that you arent good enough, theres just more teams with better wins and only 16 at large slots
Jacks4460
millenniumkat said:

You are going to have to beat Lamar so badly that the committee will place you above bubble, 7 D1 win teams that have better wins than sfa. Theres a lot of them this year. Its not that you arent good enough, theres just more teams with better wins and only 16 at large slots

I wouldn't want to play us either.. we should of beat your ass and we wouldn't be having this conversation.. go away we don't want your input..
SFAXE93
They sure give Weber State a lot of respect with being ranked at 5-4, now they're 5-5 but still getting votes.

Weber State has a tough SOS and many near losses, with that one win against #3 E-Wash by 1, but they are getting the respect with the near losses they have had to the Top 25 teams they have played.

SFA has been the closest to knocking off #1, a game they pretty much had, but it got away.

Our worse loss, and it's a cliche, was ourselves.
PurpleOut
Staff
millenniumkat said:

There are 13 at-large bids.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

millenniumkat said:

I wouldn't want to play us either.. we should of beat your ass and we wouldn't be having this conversation.. go away we don't want your input..

4460 is my hero....
SFAJack_76
To have a chance to make the playoffs, we need to beat Lamar comfortably, and get some help. The Jacksonville State loss … that's the big one. Bids to host were due on Monday. We submitted ours on Friday. The bid is largely based on anticipated attendance. Hosting is essentially a break even deal at best. Any ticket revenue (I don't know about concessions) over the bid goes to the NCAA. What would our attendance be? Would the band show, particularly with it being during Thanksgiving break?
Pilotgirl
Yeah, that sucks because we will be out of state for the entire week.
SFAXE93
I'd say over 10K at least in attendance.
nacluth
I'll be there if we win a playoff bid.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

To have a chance to make the playoffs, we need to beat Lamar comfortably, and get some help. The Jacksonville State loss … that's the big one. Bids to host were due on Monday. We submitted ours on Friday. The bid is largely based on anticipated attendance. Hosting is essentially a break even deal at best. Any ticket revenue (I don't know about concessions) over the bid goes to the NCAA. What would our attendance be? Would the band show, particularly with it being during Thanksgiving break?
I couldn't be there, as much as I would want to. We've got 2 family Thanksgiving's that saturday.

Let's play that sucker on Thanksgiving and we'll be there. I'll bring turkey.
SFASawmillGuy
First round FCS playoff games are notoriously poorly attended due to thanksgiving. I could see he drawing a decent crowd but it wouldn't be anything like we would draw for further rounds. If we hosted a second or third round game I think attendance would skyrocket though. Probably over 15k.
PurpleOut
Staff
Our home playoff game vs Villanova I thought was really well attended, but that was a December 4th game.

I think it sucks for anyone and everyone that would have to host a playoff game during a holiday break.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.