Gameday Atmosphere

1,783 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I couldn't find a thread for this already so if there is one please feel free to move it.

Just a thread to post ideas on how to improve the experience and get more students involved. I know PurpleOut is pretty close with Ivey.

Figured it would be easier than having them in random game threads.

I will start it off with saying I really appreciate what Ivey and the department is trying to do. I know they are working hard to make it the best and I think that's what we all want as well.
sfajack05
One idea I have is prizes/giveaways:

If there is a way to pull the students ID/name since they scan in then put them all into a give away and do prizes throughout the game. Give them until the halfway point in the first quarter and then just do random stuff (shirts, gift cards, concessions, etc). Maybe have a grandprize at the end and the student has to be there the entire time. They could also provide a code or something on the scoreboard for the students to enter the giveaway if they can't pull it.

djsfw57
They should do a 50/50 raffle. Sell tickets for $1 or 3 for $5. At the end of the 3rd quarter, draw the winning ticket. The winner gets to keep 50% and the school or whatever organization does it gets the other 50%.
PurpleOut
Staff
Either Ryan or Brandi said on Twitter yesterday that they have meetings scheduled with the students/Greek groups to brainstorm on the topic.

I think the gameday atmosphere is slowly getting better. The biggest issue to me still is, and always will be the students. It has never been good, but it's basically non-existent right now. Even if they are scanning more to get in (I understand Family Weekend is different), if they aren't all sitting together there 0 point to it.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, where has PHA been this season? The AXEperience deal is still confusing me. I don't know if they are trying to be a new group, an extension group from PHA, or an old group. I don't see any of the normal PHA leaders in their shirts, overalls, whatever else they used to wear.

It's really frustrating to me, as it is for several of us, and our athletic department.
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

They should do a 50/50 raffle. Sell tickets for $1 or 3 for $5. At the end of the 3rd quarter, draw the winning ticket. The winner gets to keep 50% and the school or whatever organization does it gets the other 50%.

I'd buy into this.
sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

Either Ryan or Brandi said on Twitter yesterday that they have meetings scheduled with the students/Greek groups to brainstorm on the topic.

I think the gameday atmosphere is slowly getting better. The biggest issue to me still is, and always will be the students. It has never been good, but it's basically non-existent right now. Even if they are scanning more to get in (I understand Family Weekend is different), if they aren't all sitting together there 0 point to it.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, where has PHA been this season? The AXEperience deal is still confusing me. I don't know if they are trying to be a new group, an extension group from PHA, or an old group. I don't see any of the normal PHA leaders in their shirts, overalls, whatever else they used to wear.

It's really frustrating to me, as it is for several of us, and our athletic department.
I like the idea of meeting with the student groups and getting them more involved. I'm glad they are doing that. Maybe a personal invitation from Ivey or someone in the department to go sit in the student section. I'd say Gordon but not sure how well that would go over. Maybe have the spirit team or another group like that lead the way and sit in the stands.

I am also confused by the AXEperience and PHA. Even with PHA they have been thin the last few years.

PurpleOut
Staff
Speaking of tents in the other thread. One frustrating aspect from this past weekend, when I went to set up the tailgate (I actually went out there Friday afternoon), the University Rental tents they had out from the first weekend were still there. One was a 20x20, the other a 20x40 right on Hayter where I always set up. I was annoyed, but whatever I moved across the street under the Oak tree.

The 20x40 went unused for the entire Saturday. The 20x20 was literally taken down by the basketball team at around 1:00 and moved down the road.

In addition, we (the athletic department) called University Rental during the week and they said they were out of tents. We need a new vendor that can handle more business. And I also think we should find someone that can provide purple tents instead of white.

I was also offered the opportunity to take my popup down the field next to those student bleachers. If I hadn't already have gotten tickets in the mobile suite...I would have done it. So here's what I would do going forward:

Get a 20x40 tent and combine the small bleachers to be almost side by side. Use that for half of the endzone for the students to sit in those bleachers and have a tent so they can have some shade and not be scared of the sun. Then use the other half for any other fan that has a popup tent that would want to come. Hell the 10x10 I have from Academy was like $75. Get 5 of those connected and just let 40-50 people down there (maybe a special invite or something to PLF members) with their own chair and coolers.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

djsfw57 said:

I'd buy into this.
The first time I ever heard of it was the first year I lived in Ohio. Went to a high school basketball game, bought a ticket, and ended up winning $200. Nice return on a $1 investment. The first time I saw it at a college football game, it was at Toledo and the winning ticket got $4000. They raise a LOT of money doing that.
SFASawmillGuy
Is the PHA even still an active group anymore? It almost seems like they disappeared.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.