(RV) SFA VS. LINCOLN UNIVERSITY (CA.)

6,999 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (2-1; 1-0) VS. LINCOLN UNIVERSITY (CA.) (1-1)

WHEN: SEPT. 25 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7

Howdy, and welcome Lincoln University (CA.) Oaklanders to the NCAA and the great state of Texas.

The Oaklanders play all their games this, their inaugural season on the road, starting things off at 1-1, in what was almost a 2-0 start, as they loss their first game by a score of 29-31 at Whitworth University in Spokane.

Whitworth is currently riding an 8-game win streak, so wouldn't that have been a feather in the cap of a program's first game.

In that game, Whitmore lead 31-9 in the 4th quarter, before Lincoln stormed back, scoring 20 unanswered points lead by Tarleton State transfer senior #10 QB CAMERON BURSTON 6-4; 210 out of Hayward, California (Stellar Prep) throwing for 2 long TD passes (38 and 41 yards) and running for another.

BIO
https://tarletonsports.com/sports/football/roster/cameron-burston/8976

The Oaklanders failed in their two point conversion that would have tied the game up with 3:45 left to play.

Burston ended the game with 271 yards passing on 11 completed passes and 67 yards on the ground (100 yards before being sacked multiple times) for 338 total yards and 3 scores. The Oaklanders had 452 yards of total offense in that game.

Against Willamette the Oaklanders took full control and never looked back winning 34-9. Burston completed 12 passes for 198 yards and a TD while rushing for 18 yards and 2 more scores.

Lincoln held Willamette to 118 total yards of offense for the game.

Basically try and stop Burston as he is the main part of the offense.

Look for many of new true freshmen for the Jacks to hown their craft in this one.

Axe'EM

SFASawmillGuy
I hate that this game is even on our schedule because, like Tech with us, there's nothing to gain and everything to lose from it. I would expect our backups and freshmen will get more valuable experience during inner squad scrimmages than they will against these guys. I just hope we can get past it with no injuries and move on to the bad guys in orange at full strength.
TheRevSFA
This is the perfect trap game for us but I don't think it happens. With our win over MVSU and Sam coming the following weekend, it's easy to overlook at D2 school.

I asked Ivey why we scheduled them and he said "it was the only available game" which, fair enough. We aren't doing a Sam move and taking two bye weeks, so might as well get the younger guys some experience if this game plays out like it should.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA only gained one vote from a 45 point victory over a D1 opponent. I guess Sam has to lose to an unranked SFA team in 2 weeks.
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

SFA only gained one vote from a 45 point victory over a D1 opponent. I guess Sam has to lose to an unranked SFA team in 2 weeks.
I mean I vote in the AGS poll and I didn't put SFA in the top 25. Do I think they are going to be a top 25 team later on this year? Yep. But boatracing MVSU doesn't really do much to move the needle because MVSU is God awful and has been for years.

Oct 2nd and Oct 9 will be the gauntlet to see how this team really is and I bet they can go 2-0 through that. If so, they'll be a top 15 team
Jacks4460
This will be one of those 72-0 games...
SFAJack_76
TheRevSFA said:

This is the perfect trap game for us but I don't think it happens. With our win over MVSU and Sam coming the following weekend, it's easy to overlook at D2 school.

I asked Ivey why we scheduled them and he said "it was the only available game" which, fair enough. We aren't doing a Sam move and taking two bye weeks, so might as well get the younger guys some experience if this game plays out like it should.
It's not a trap game. We could start our second string and win easily.

I had posted elsewhere that it came down to Lincoln, or only four home games. Others backed out, or said no. We lost a home game last season because the NCAA wouldn't let us play one in the spring. Ivey didn't want to lose another one this season. Playing, even against an outclassed team, is better than a scrimmage. Carthel really wanted that spring game rather than the traditional spring scrimmage.
SFAXE93
TheRevSFA
If you're already overlooking your opponent for next week then it's the definition of a trap game. But I don't see us doing that and I don't see us losing this by any means
Ljacks&Longnecks
So, listening to Bottlecap Alley show and Carthel mentioned that the Big 12 office called and apologized for missing a call in the TT game. Perhaps something on the last play?!?

He also said that one of our RB injuries was a season ending injury. No names mentioned, guess I'm surprised we got that much.
SFASawmillGuy
That's unfortunate but I does appear we have some depth at that position. Reed can be a solid number 1 back if we need him to be. Hopefully the healthy back is in the lineup again soon too.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So, listening to Bottlecap Alley show and Carthel mentioned that the Big 12 office called and apologized for missing a call in the TT game. Perhaps something on the last play?!?

He also said that one of our RB injuries was a season ending injury. No names mentioned, guess I'm surprised we got that much.
The hold on Gipson on our last offensive play that was missed. Also, there should have been a targeting call on the hit on Self.

Don't expect to see Ward again this season. One and two went down in the Tarleton game. Three and four went down in the Tech game. The others that are hurt should be back sometime during the season. Probably not this week. Expect to see more of WR Larry Jones at RB on Saturday.
Jacks4460
Yep Ward is done forever.. Great young man.. He really wanted to be on that field against TT a couple weeks ago.. If he was 100% I know he would of showed out big time..
SFASawmillGuy
Ward needs to swing the axe in Houston next week then.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

Yep Ward is done forever.. Great young man.. He really wanted to be on that field against TT a couple weeks ago.. If he was 100% I know he would of showed out big time..
Forever, as in college career is over?
Jacks4460
yes sir... God does work miracles tho..
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Amen!

http://www.thepinelog.com/article_6d1152aa-1c89-11ec-ae62-73b23bb7f6ac.html
BigJack85
I'm headed to Nacogdoches Friday evening! Going to be under the Pines near the forestry building around 11:00AM on Saturday. Axe 'Em Jacks
SFASawmillGuy
This has been the narrative at SFA for the past 15+ years. Even the back to back conference title seasons with top 10 and top 5 finishes students didn't seem to know we were winning. Maybe putting huge banners and posters around campus about the game from a week before would get students to pay attention.
SFASawmillGuy
But of course there will always be those students who will say we suck because we aren't playing a schedule full of power 5 schools they recognize and winning. It's a very common theme for students to say we don't play "real schools". Hell even in basketball there are a students who say we lose if we play a "real school". Idk if that's changed since we beat Duke but that was a common narrative.

"Real schools" being schools they immediately recognize. I was campus for the VCU win and after there were students who had no clue who VCU was, despite them being one of the best basketball schools in the country.
sfajack05
I got four tickets to the game I can't use. If anyone needs some or knows someone let me know.
SFAJack_76
#35 sighting.
SFAXE93
So Henderson looks to get the start at RB.

More of this rotation...

Henderson
McGrue
White
Jacks4460
Our offense should rush for 400 yds this game...
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
How is the crowd? Looks like nobody except the band on the far side.
SFAXE93
K. White is pretty good.
TallTexan
Mycoskie makes this sound like a big time broadcast.

But this camera work is pure crap. We have got to do better.
TallTexan
I'm not 100% crazy about taking this game with Sam on the schedule next week.

I think I'd have preferred a bye rather than risking folks getting hurt or getting sloppy against a team this bad.
SFASawmillGuy
Not sure I like Trae even playing today. We are playing mostly backups right now, our QB should rest too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.