McNeese State 1995

5,106 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacks4460
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Saw it mentioned on Twitter a few times today, 25 years ago we had 23,000+ inside Homer Bryce. I think a few of our posters were in attendance, but I'd love to see that environment. I'm just trying to figure out how we could that type of crowd again.

SFASawmillGuy
I wasn't fortunate enough to attend SFA in the late 80s or 90s but from everything I heard the atmosphere at SFA then was FBS level.
Football was also pretty consistently good too. The 90s were coming off the heels of SFA making it to a national championship game and nearly winning it. However I don't think winning alone will bring our football program back to this level.
2009 and 2010, two of the best regular seasons SFA has ever enjoyed, were not much better for attendance than normal. A huge part of that was probably Lumberjack alley. We had thousands of fans that were all the way over at the commuter lot, and to be honest if you asked them then why they weren't at the game they usually said "because our football team sucks", even though we were at one point ranked 3rd in the FCS.
It's the age old question of how do we get our fans to come to our games and care. We do have the best fans in the slc, no doubt, but the SLC has awful sports fans. We shouldn't strive for the best in the SLC. We should strive to sell out Homer Bryce Stadium at least once a year and sell out WRJ multiple times a year.
SFASawmillGuy
If we start winning consistently I think Ryan Ivey will be able to push that on the students to the point they will show up and support. But the second we lose, the students(and some people on here) will lose faith, lose interest, and just start talking about basketball.
Basketball is great. It's astounding. We want to be champions there. We want to be champions in football too. So we have to care about football too.
Jacks4460
We will win in football.... Carthel and crew will build it with a great foundation to be champs for many years to come.. If we could get a new indoor training facility then you talk about really winning.. One step at a time.. I am confident not next year but the next we will be playing for a NC in Frisco..
TallTexan
The last time we played BOTPW at home, in 2009, we had 18546. It was an electric atmosphere.

First off, we've got to get that game back on campus.

That was my freshman year and I remember a friend saying "I bet we haven't even won any games this year". We were 5-1 at that point.

Probably a few factors at play here if we want bigger crowds.
1. Win
2. Awareness: we should promote it across East Texas
3. Atmosphere: some good steps in this direction by Ivey
4. Length of game: with ever increasing college game lengths, the Southland as a whole should look at ways to contain them within the existing rules. This would help with potential tv slots in the future and would also allow fans to know what to expect. Like I know that barring overtime, we're going to be back in our car by 9 pm for SFA basketball. It's like clockwork, which helps a ton when you're driving in for games.

There's 315k people within 50 miles of Nac, 750k within 100 miles. There's no reason we can't hit a 15k average with some improvements and a winning team.
SFASawmillGuy
Oh no doubt. As long as we keep Carthel we will be going nowhere but up. I really hope we can keep him for 4-5 years before an FBS school scoops him up from us. That would give him time to have built a solid foundation for continued success.
Pilotgirl
Win.
SFASawmillGuy
As said before, it'll take more than that. We could be undefeated in a normal year end you'd still have tons of people saying we suck.
ibtsoom
Game had an awesome atmosphere. Fans were loud and rowdy. Mcneese helped attendance by traveling 6-7k strong if I remember right.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

The last time we played BOTPW at home, in 2009, we had 18546. It was an electric atmosphere.

First off, we've got to get that game back on campus.

That was my freshman year and I remember a friend saying "I bet we haven't even won any games this year". We were 5-1 at that point.

Probably a few factors at play here if we want bigger crowds.
1. Win
2. Awareness: we should promote it across East Texas
3. Atmosphere: some good steps in this direction by Ivey
4. Length of game: with ever increasing college game lengths, the Southland as a whole should look at ways to contain them within the existing rules. This would help with potential tv slots in the future and would also allow fans to know what to expect. Like I know that barring overtime, we're going to be back in our car by 9 pm for SFA basketball. It's like clockwork, which helps a ton when you're driving in for games.

There's 315k people within 50 miles of Nac, 750k within 100 miles. There's no reason we can't hit a 15k average with some improvements and a winning team.
Agreed. We have to figure out how to make these teams THE teams for East Texas. More importantly the Nac community. How do we get an average to above average sports fan in the area to care about SFA athletics if they didn't go to school here (even those that did, but that is a different issue)?

While "winning cures all" is a normal phrase, it's not always accurate. Because 03 is right, our attendance didn't go up much for those SLC title teams. I remember going to the playoff game vs Villanova and being disappointed in the crowd. A SLC championship team in the playoffs at home against a fairly well known name. There should be 20k in the stands for that.
BigJack85
The McNeese game was absolutely the high point of Lumberjack football in the 90's. My recollection is of a close game at halftime. We could not get our running game on track and eventually (3rd quarter) McNeese made us pay. The crowd was better than the pictures showed. We made the front page of the Houston Chronicle........
SFASawmillGuy
In fairness, opening round FCS playoff games are notoriously bad for attendance outside of NDSU and Montana, who sell out every single game regardless of who they play. It's just a rough weekend to have students because it's usually thanksgiving weekend. Later round are usually much better for attendance, but it's an effort to get fans there because it's usually during a break and most students are home.
That being said if we open SFA athletics fan base to all of east Texas as proposed, that eliminates the reliance on students for attendance.
We just need to sell SFA football, basketball, baseball. Just sell the brand all over east Texas. Make people in Tyler want to make a trip to Nacogdoches to see a college football game. Make the college football experience real in Nacogdoches.
Let's have more night games. Put even more of effort into tailgate like live music, pop up bars, food trucks. Make every SFA football and basketball game an event. A party.
If you make them an event like they do in Fargo, we will see people come from all over to be apart of it.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

In fairness, opening round FCS playoff games are notoriously bad for attendance outside of NDSU and Montana, who sell out every single game regardless of who they play. It's just a rough weekend to have students because it's usually thanksgiving weekend. Later round are usually much better for attendance, but it's an effort to get fans there because it's usually during a break and most students are home.
That being said if we open SFA athletics fan base to all of east Texas as proposed, that eliminates the reliance on students for attendance.
We just need to sell SFA football, basketball, baseball. Just sell the brand all over east Texas. Make people in Tyler want to make a trip to Nacogdoches to see a college football game. Make the college football experience real in Nacogdoches.
Let's have more night games. Put even more of effort into tailgate like live music, pop up bars, food trucks. Make every SFA football and basketball game an event. A party.
If you make them an event like they do in Fargo, we will see people come from all over to be apart of it.
Jacks4460
Nice 03...
SFAXE93
It helps when you have a #1 McNeese State vs. #3 SFA matchup.

McNeese ended that season 13-1 making it to the NCAA semifinals while SFA ended the season 11-2 and in the other semifinals game.

There could have been an all SLC National Championship game that year.

But getting blown out 70-14 to Montana in the semifinals, it was not even close to happening.

Gene Chizik was the DC that season for SFA.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
Texasheli
It seemed for several seasons the contest between SFA and McNeese was more of a rival game than the Sam games. They were good year to year and we were determined to knock them down a peg or two. I remember during one of the contest their men's cheer group running through the band with the Flags spelling McNeese and knocking band members over. Well that caused students to start emptying the stands and make firewood out of the McNeese Flags. The reasons again that those games were so highly attended were both teams where very competitive and both teams well prepared. So everyone expected to see quality football and real hard nose hitting. If coach Carthel elevates the team to where it is expected a fan will see quality play and consistent winning, the crowds will increase. Everyone wants to be part of a winner. The tertiary party activities surrounding the games will grow with the winning. Having a great party will not necessary bring more people into the game, unless there is quality play and winning. It been a few years but I do remember my party days in collage. When the party atmosphere begins to slow (Losing) students find somewhere else to be. The party has to keep going once the games begin (winning).

That game in 1995 was special. There was even some worry among the students if there would be tickets for everyone that want to attend. SFA will be there again soon as I, like most the rest of you on this board, have fate in the new blood that is at the helm.
Pilotgirl
So I have a story about McNeese that has NOTHING to do with football and attendance LOL
I was wearing an SFA shirt on Wednesday at my campus for College Wednesdays and the music teacher said "Go Lumberjacks! Did you go to SFA?" I told her I did and asked where she went. She told me she went to McNeese. We started a little back and forth and I was telling her about us being in the same conference and that I was so sad for McNeese and the damage they had to their athletic facilities...she had no idea. I know there are tons of people who graduate from college and never look back and my involvement/attendance wavers based on life circumstances...anyway, I digress...She asked if I knew the story about the McNeese pool. Of course, I didn't so she tells me McNeese was really developing in the late 90s and decided to build an Olympic size pool to hold meets & such. Lots of contractors involved, lots of hype, lots of $$. Well, they finally get it built and....IT WAS 2 INCHES SHORT of the requirement to be used in competition. So, she said the student body then had the best pool around and she learned to swim in that pool. How crazy is that?! This teacher graduated around 2000, so this was at least 20 years ago...
TallTexan
I can understand not being fanatical about your college after you graduated.

But to not even know that mother nature declared war on your alma mater? How?
TallTexan
I think y'all have had some good suggestions on building an atmosphere. Let me just put on my consultant hat though and come up with a strategy on getting out the awareness of that atmosphere.

Locally(within 25 miles):
Free admittance to HS athletes. Our HS used to give us a sports pass for all HS games, for Nac area schools that should work for SFA games too. Sure, we'd lose a little bit of revenue but we'd probably gain it in parents/coaches attending with them.

Church attendance: A curious thing I've noticed is how many pastors mention the Texas game, or A&M game depending on region. We should find a way to send out a few free tickets to different pastors every week. The shout-out from the pulpit as the "did you see that SFA game" instead of "Gig Em" would really help build awareness in this church town.

Billboards: This works locally & regionally but we need 4 digital billboards. One at the busiest intersection in Nac, Lufkin, Tyler, and one smaller one in the student center. The three in the community would be general SFA advertising most days, upcoming events,etc. But 24 hours before football games, switch them to a countdown clock. We want to drive awareness through the roof.

Facebook events: All SFA sports need to be Facebook event invites too. I am constantly alerted to what my friends are doing bc they RSVP for Facebook invites.

Regionally(within 100 miles):
High School Shoutouts: When we used to watch Westlake football, they'd announce which of their former students were playing college football the next day & where. For all our East Texas student athletes, we need to make this happen by reaching out to the school districts.

Weekend packages: Partner with hotels & local attractions to get folks to come down for the weekend. If you buy a certain football package it comes with tickets to the Planetarium, brewery packages, etc. Make it a weekend destination.

SFA athletics tour: Schedule a joint practice at Tyler Rose Stadium with TJC, host a basketball fans day in Longview, etc. It'll be partially to get local SFA fans involved, but also to build good relationships with the broader East Texas media.

We should be able to get a few headlines across every paper in the region each season. Local news outlets always need article ideas, so we should pitch them continuously for athlete interviews in their hometown etc.

Gameday:

It's been a year since I've been to a football game, so we may already have it, but we need an instagram spot and a prize for posting your family photo from there. Similar to the Axe Em sign at basketball. Give out a prize in the 3rd quarter drawn from folks who used the hashtag. When you attend an SFa game, we need your social network to know.

This is a lot of little things, but I think they'll add up quickly to build awareness of SFA sporting events and lay claim to East Texas as our region.
PurpleOut
Staff
I like the ideas. I'm assuming digital billboards are more expensive, but I think the countdown is a good idea. Especially for in town.

And also think Facebook can be used more too, especially since that's where more of the local and older target audience will be compared to IG/Twitter. I'm in a public group called Nacogdoches Talk that has over 12,000 members. Invites are one thing, but Facebook Ads are extremely easy to set up to target that audience.
TallTexan
Agreed on the Facebook ads. I've been running a campaign to GOTV to bring Tah Whiskey distillery to Palestine and for 60 bucks I've gotten nearly 10k impressions between the likes and shares it generated for my posts. You'd need to sell 4 football tickets to recoup the effort if you say targeted Tyler in the week of a home game.

Digital billboards can be pricey depending on the size. The biggest, 14x 48 feet can run 150k per face. But you could subsidize it with rental revenue for non game times if you really wanted it to pay for itself. A 10x20 ft digital billboard would run approximately 75k all in per side.
TallTexan
I especially like the idea of a countdown in town, in lufkin, and in the student center/dining halls.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I think y'all have had some good suggestions on building an atmosphere. Let me just put on my consultant hat though and come up with a strategy on getting out the awareness of that atmosphere.

Those are some really good ideas, Texan. I especially like the ideas of digital billboards and free admittance to local athletes. I hope there is an SFA marketing "fly on the wall" here on The Sawmill who sees this. Good job, my friend!
Jacks4460
Hell of a post Texan.. what is in the water in Anderson county??
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Hell of a post Texan.. what is in the water in Anderson county??

The finest minerals that the Neches river has to offer.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Those are some really good ideas, Texan. I especially like the ideas of digital billboards and free admittance to local athletes. I hope there is an SFA marketing "fly on the wall" here on The Sawmill who sees this. Good job, my friend!

Thanks Ed!
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Thanks Ed!
Texan you need to send those ideas to Ryan.. I know he appreciates the input..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.