Team Captains Selected

3,030 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dbrooks
Dbrooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The 2019-20 captains for the SFA Football team were announced this past weekend. The names of the captains are listed below:

Quin Jones, senior linebacker
AJ Brown, senior offensive lineman
Aretavious Hendrix, senior cornerback
Trae Self, transfer quarterback
Alize Ward, senior safety
Tamrick Pace, senior wide receiver

One of the keys to having a great season is putting the right players in the the right places. Being on the field during training camp and knowing some of the players for myself, it's no doubt about these players being captains. All these players have been through the storms during their collegiate careers and are the best players at their positions period.

These guys are well respected by their teammates and I believe their leadership will help the team become more of a unit as the season begins.

Thoughts??
SFA Jack Fanatic
Dbrooks said:

The 2019-20 captains for the SFA Football team were announced this past weekend. The names of the captains are listed below:

One of the keys to having a great season is putting the right players in the the right places. Being on the field during training camp and knowing some of the players for myself, it's no doubt about these players being captains. All these players have been through the storms during their collegiate careers and are the best players at their positions period.

These guys are well respected by their teammates and I believe their leadership will help the team become more of a unit as the season begins.

Thoughts??

Thanks for your input, Dbrooks. Since you're obviously close to the team, please continue to toss in bits of "inside" info as the season progresses.
Dbrooks
Staff
I will definitely do that. Thank you for your support it means a lot.
SFAJack_76
Dbrooks said:

Thoughts??
I think Self is the most interesting one. If Blumrick isn't out due to back surgeries, Self may not even be the starting QB. How much is due to him being the QB, and how much is because he has quickly become a leader?

The others make real sense. I am so very pleased at Alize being a captain.
Dbrooks
Staff
I agree that Self would be a total after thought if Jake was healthy. Jake took a lot of unnecessary hits last season due to the ineffectiveness of the offensive line. He was so tough and so determined that he even told Coach Byrd to keep him in the game after Byrd pleaded with him to come out if he wanted to. Jake was tough as nails, and his play would be a huge plus for this team.

However, Self is a transfer quarterback and has experience in JUCO. He had success there and throughout camp he showed nothing but promise. He made mistakes of course, but he displayed his abilities to make the throws necessary for any given situation. And since Cam Arnold and the other quarterbacks are practically babies, it made sense for Self to have the edge. He's very animated, emotional and always working with his receivers and O-Line. He's the type of guy they need behind center.

And yes I agree Alize deserved thus honor 100%. He's earned that right.
BigJack85
I don't think it's a bad thing starting a JUCO guy at QB. Until we get a real offensive line why put our long-term future at risk when we have a game ready QB that could make some hay.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Dbrooks
Staff
True words! The O-Line unit was a group coach Carthel praised during camp, but we haven't seen how good they can be yet. So I believe Self taking most of the reps with this line through training camp really helped his development and built trust between both parties.
Jacks4460
Thing about Self is that he has wheels... I feel Self would of been the QB if Jake was healthy or not.. He is just a better player.. He runs way better and he can throw the deep ball.. Dont get me wrong Jake is a great young man but Self is a better QB hands down...
Dbrooks
Staff
I agree with you about his wheels. He's definitely faster and more decisive about how he scrambles, but I really felt like Blumrick done great things last season with few options. He had a stretch where he threw for over 250+ yards in three consecutive SLC games. The dude is a great signal caller. He was just put in a unfortunate situation and got dealt an unfortunate outcome. But I do believe Self is a great talent no doubt and his experience and skills can help this team rise for sure. I just felt like if Jake was healthy, Carthel would have no choice but to go with him at least to start the season off cause he's already shown us what he can do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.