Southland Conference here we come

13,875 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Wonder what the Southland exit fee is.

This works especially well if the Utah schools do go to the summit league.
I like the idea. Interesting that UTRGV already has committed to the SLC. It might turn out that the WAC could survive with the addition of a McNeese, Lamar, SLU. Frankly a pretty solid footprint and some football benefits, if McNeese ever gets it together. Who knows... collegiate athletics.
TallTexan
You could get RGV back and they wouldn't even have to pay a Southland exit fee, per UIW lawsuit precedent.

Would be nice if you can cash a check or two from the out west schools to smooth over some hurt feelings with decent "join us" checks.
TallTexan
I think whatever gets decided will get decided quickly either way.

I didn't even hear rumors of GCU/Seattle, so I'm not sure how much of a heads up the WAC office had.

Easier if you've already had those discussions. Whereas the Southland has def been able to kick the tires on ACU/Tarleton with the SFA rumors.
SCH890
At this point. I think its Southland Bound. Even though most will hate it. Its doomed to happen. It really is the best case for us. If they add ACU, SFA and Tarleton. Its for sure back up there in one of the better basketball conferences.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I didn't even hear rumors of GCU/Seattle, so I'm not sure how much of a heads up the WAC office had.

Easier if you've already had those discussions. Whereas the Southland has def been able to kick the tires on ACU/Tarleton with the SFA rumors.
This isn't going to happen, BUT. I recall back in the late 80's / early 90's when the SLC changed their charter to require football as an intercollegiate sport. Yes. They did require it. Kicked UTA out to the wilderness for years...

Let's say they did the same thing now. You would cut loose UNO (weak as ____) and add three solid basketball schools. ACU, SFA and Tarleton. That would be solid. Cut a path for the SLC to move towards 23 - 25 in the NET rankings. Isn't going to happen but interesting thought nonetheless.

ServiceJack88
CBU is the next one. These rumors have been going around for the longest time!
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

CBU is the next one. These rumors have been going around for the longest time!

I just read the CBS article regarding the WCC. Reading between the lines, CBU seems to be a "backup" plan, If Gonzaga leaves for the Big 12.

The Utah schools are going to have a wild ride with no clear landing zone. The Big Sky is full up, unless they go to a divisional alignment with 13 schools ??? Not very convenient and I don't see the Sky adding CBU to even things out.
nacluth
Let's be honest that SFA had a blah year of basketball. Some good and a lot games hanging on hope. 6th in the WAC. We would easily have been 2nd in the SLC granting that Wade's McNeese team would runaway with it.

The WAC was the 14th best conference, the SLC the 27th. 60% of the SLC are 300+ in rankings. Corpus was the only other team besides McNeese to just slide into the top half of all teams in the country.

Adding SFA/ACU/Tarleton back to the SLC with the teams they have added isn't moving the needle much. It's still in the bottom 5 to 8 conferences in the nation.

Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but if you're thinking about basketball more than all athletics, then it means a lot.

SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Missouri St to CUSA as well.

Man. Talking about teams not ready for the FBS. Their facilities aren't horrible but talent wise they're going to get rolled. Hard.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Let's be honest that SFA had a blah year of basketball. Some good and a lot games hanging on hope. 6th in the WAC. We would easily have been 2nd in the SLC granting that Wade's McNeese team would runaway with it.

The WAC was the 14th best conference, the SLC the 27th. 60% of the SLC are 300+ in rankings. Corpus was the only other team besides McNeese to just slide into the top half of all teams in the country.

Adding SFA/ACU/Tarleton back to the SLC with the teams they have added isn't moving the needle much. It's still in the bottom 5 to 8 conferences in the nation.

Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but if you're thinking about basketball more than all athletics, then it means a lot.

It's a terrible basketball conference.

But I wonder if just being able to make the tourney regularly is worth it.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Ya. It's at the margins for sure. It doesn't move the needle much, but being the 24th rated conference is better than 27th. A 28 win SLC champion should get a seed, on average. Maybe we get the conference getting a 14 seed consistently. Not the WAC but ok.
mccowboys
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I like the idea. Interesting that UTRGV already has committed to the SLC. It might turn out that the WAC could survive with the addition of a McNeese, Lamar, SLU. Frankly a pretty solid footprint and some football benefits, if McNeese ever gets it together. Who knows... collegiate athletics.
LOL! Lamar already returned to the SLC because of the travel and for the rivals they already had in the SLC.
SLU hates traveling to UIW and are not happy with adding UTRGV because of the long haul it will be for them. The Lions would be glad for SFA to return, but in no way would they want the travel involved with the WAC. Many Lion fans wish to go to the ASun, but the ULS (Louisiana system) wants SLU to remain in a conference with the other system schools: McNeese, Nicholls, NSU.

Some of you Lumberjack fans and SFA must be rolling in dough, but many people and institutions are dealing with inflation and just trying to survive. All this travel just doesn't cut it!

McNeese seems to have put its FBS dreams on hold. We are still recovering from two back-to-back hurricanes, but our outgoing president just reported that McNeese budget is in the black.

Will Wade has been a big boon to McNeese in many ways: attendance, donations, recognition, student enrollment. When McNeese MBB went on the road in the SLC, those places were packed or had turnouts that usually don't happen for them.

McNeese is also constructing a new super-duper pressbox. Original price was around $20 million (as I recall), but inflation and supply chain issues pushed the cost to over $30 million.

The SLC is better with new commissioner Grant. If y'all return, you should just do so and be grateful about it, but all I hear is - wouldn't be good if? why don't we get rid of? it's a step down. maybe could to this. Wah! Wah! Wah! You made a decision to leave and are in a mess. Don't blame the lowly SLC for your troubles.
mccowboys
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

This isn't going to happen, BUT. I recall back in the late 80's / early 90's when the SLC changed their charter to require football as an intercollegiate sport. Yes. They did require it. Kicked UTA out to the wilderness for years...

Let's say they did the same thing now. You would cut loose UNO (weak as ____) and add three solid basketball schools. ACU, SFA and Tarleton. That would be solid. Cut a path for the SLC to move towards 23 - 25 in the NET rankings. Isn't going to happen but interesting thought nonetheless.

That would also mean dropping A&M Corpus Christi. Don't think that is going to happen. UTRGV is glad to be with Corpus and UIW.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA doesn't have "troubles". Don't invent something that doesn't exist. SFA just has to allow all of the conference dominoes around the country to fall to decide on their next move. It's not the terrible situation you seem to think it is.

BTW, that $30 million pressbox will really be something to hang your hat on. It should really put a lot of fannies in your empty stadium for that 0-10 team of yours (Oh, I forgot about the 2-0 forfeit thrashing of NSU. Make that 1-10).
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA doesn't have "troubles". Don't invent something that doesn't exist. SFA just has to allow all of the conference dominoes around the country to fall to decide on their next move. It's not the terrible situation you seem to think it is.

BTW, that $30 million pressbox will really be something to hang your hat on. It should really put a lot of fannies in your empty stadium for that 0-10 team of yours (Oh, I forgot about the 2-0 forfeit thrashing of NSU. Make that 1-10).

You did get one thing right. You mentioned the "lowly SLC".
Puddingman69
I am a student here currently and this is what I can tell you. The only teams any other students know are Sam and nsu. They don't care to know who's playing or what. I'll be at tailgate and people will be asking me who tf we're playing and I hate explaining it to people. Also the wac is dumb. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the point of going from a one bid league that was all fine and dandy and then going to another one bid league that only sponsored football for 2 years before having to merge with another conference with that ugly looking insurance logo. Because say it with me people. NET rankings only mean so much when you're not the A10, American, or WCC.
BigJack85
Puddingman69 said:

I am a student here currently and this is what I can tell you. The only teams any other students know are Sam and nsu. They don't care to know who's playing or what. I'll be at tailgate and people will be asking me who tf we're playing and I hate explaining it to people. Also the wac is dumb. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the point of going from a one bid league that was all fine and dandy and then going to another one bid league that only sponsored football for 2 years before having to merge with another conference with that ugly looking insurance logo. Because say it with me people. NET rankings only mean so much when you're not the A10, American, or WCC.

You are not the only student there…. Students are not the only stakeholders.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Puddingman69 said:

The lethargy of the student body is depressing. It hasn't always been that way in years past. But thank you for being one of the seemingly small number that cares.

I don't understand your last sentence. Serious question... Explain why you named those three conferences. NET rankings are meaningful to every team in every conference. It's an attempt for some "experts" to be provided with data to determine how each team's overall season compares to others. True, doesn't do a great job 100% of the time, but it's better than guessing, people's feelings, relying on publicized hype, or nothing at all.
BigJack85
mccowboys said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

LOL! Lamar already returned to the SLC because of the travel and for the rivals they already had in the SLC.
SLU hates traveling to UIW and are not happy with adding UTRGV because of the long haul it will be for them. The Lions would be glad for SFA to return, but in no way would they want the travel involved with the WAC. Many Lion fans wish to go to the ASun, but the ULS (Louisiana system) wants SLU to remain in a conference with the other system schools: McNeese, Nicholls, NSU.

Some of you Lumberjack fans and SFA must be rolling in dough, but many people and institutions are dealing with inflation and just trying to survive. All this travel just doesn't cut it!

McNeese seems to have put its FBS dreams on hold. We are still recovering from two back-to-back hurricanes, but our outgoing president just reported that McNeese budget is in the black.

Will Wade has been a big boon to McNeese in many ways: attendance, donations, recognition, student enrollment. When McNeese MBB went on the road in the SLC, those places were packed or had turnouts that usually don't happen for them.

McNeese is also constructing a new super-duper pressbox. Original price was around $20 million (as I recall), but inflation and supply chain issues pushed the cost to over $30 million.

The SLC is better with new commissioner Grant. If y'all return, you should just do so and be grateful about it, but all I hear is - wouldn't be good if? why don't we get rid of? it's a step down. maybe could to this. Wah! Wah! Wah! You made a decision to leave and are in a mess. Don't blame the lowly SLC for your troubles.

Super duper. Glad to hear it. When you talk about "troubles" you might want to read your own press. Or better yet the statements made by your newly appointed president.

SFA has challenges. Not unlike a broad swathe of the higher education landscape that includes all but the flagship institutions. Fortunately for SFA, we recently joined the richest educational endowment in the country. The new affiliation won't solve all of problems but I expect some significant investments that should positively alter the trajectory of our university. So yes. We are gloating and have a tinge of arrogance. Joining the SLC won't be the worst thing to happen but not the desired outcome. Despite this SFA will make the best of it!

Move on and up. Axe 'Em Jacks
Ljacks&Longnecks
I have to appreciate Puddingman's post for the points about student knowledge/interest in athletics here at SFA.
First off, a large % of SFA students really don't care about athletics here at all, they only follow the UTs and A&Ms and OUs. His point about students only "knowing" Sam or NSU is well taken. Vast majority have no idea who we are playing or even what conference we are in.

We were sold a "bill of goods" about how great the WAC would be, there would be 2 bids to the NCAAs etc etc.
Now it's not anybody's fault that the WAC isn't panning out...that is the fault of the ever changing landscape that college sports has become. WAC getting lost in the shuffle of constant change and movement. Will the WAC even survive with GCU leaving, Sam and NMSU already gone.
I find this constant conference changing very disheartening and obviously disruptive to establishing rivalries and even knowing who next year's opponents might be. The new world order of college sports definitely sucks.

And all we can do is sit back and watch and wait. We are certainly powerless stakeholders in this climate.

BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I have to appreciate Puddingman's post for the points about student knowledge/interest in athletics here at SFA.
First off, a large % of SFA students really don't care about athletics here at all, they only follow the UTs and A&Ms and OUs. His point about students only "knowing" Sam or NSU is well taken. Vast majority have no idea who we are playing or even what conference we are in.

We were sold a "bill of goods" about how great the WAC would be, there would be 2 bids to the NCAAs etc etc.
Now it's not anybody's fault that the WAC isn't panning out...that is the fault of the ever changing landscape that college sports has become. WAC getting lost in the shuffle of constant change and movement. Will the WAC even survive with GCU leaving, Sam and NMSU already gone.
I find this constant conference changing very disheartening and obviously disruptive to establishing rivalries and even knowing who next year's opponents might be. The new world order of college sports definitely sucks.

And all we can do is sit back and watch and wait. We are certainly powerless stakeholders in this climate.

Constant conference changing???? We made our 1st conference move, to the WAC, after 33 years in the SLC.

The universities you mention have been in, SWC, BIG12 and now SEC in 15 years. TCU and SMU have been in 3-4 conferences in that time. Not getting the "constant conference changes" comment.
Puddingman69
I only said those because those are the 3 mid majors that came to my mind when it comes to being multi bid leagues. That is all.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not talking about SFA conference changing. Talking about the big picture. Schools and conferences are changing almost every year now. Pac 12 fell apart, Sam and NMSU ran off quickly, UTRVG and Lamar quickly returned to SLC. GCU and SU gone next year to new conference, Utah schools in flux perhaps if WAC fails.......and all these changes and realignments affect many other schools and conferences. Until things settle down there is little continuity. That was my reference.
mccowboys
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Don't mind me (seems I did get under your skin a bit). Y'all just go back to smoking that funny weed and thinking y'all are something you are not.
You, ACU, and TSU should just start your own conference because with your big heads there would hardly be room for anyone else.
Yeah, football has been rough around here the last few years. Did you hear we got the transfer QB from Montana? But the Lumberjack fans sure can't be throwing stones at bad football teams, now can they? When was the last time a Lumberjack football team was relevant? Oh, and then lost in the playoffs to a SLC team, a school your fanbase looks down on.
I just came here to see if SFA was going to lower its standards and return to the SLC. I didn't know I was going to be rolling on the floor laughing.
P.S. Though the Cowboys went 0-10, McNeese still led the SLC in attendance. How was your attendance?
P.P.S. I can only speak for myself, but I hate that other purple school appropriately named Demons as much as you guys. I actually have worked with many SFA grads. They all seemed to have sense. They must not post on here.
Have a good day!
No-look
Do I sense a rivalry in the making?
mccowboys
BigJack85 said:

mccowboys said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Super duper. Glad to hear it. When you talk about "troubles" you might want to read your own press. Or better yet the statements made by your newly appointed president.

SFA has challenges. Not unlike a broad swathe of the higher education landscape that includes all but the flagship institutions. Fortunately for SFA, we recently joined the richest educational endowment in the country. The new affiliation won't solve all of problems but I expect some significant investments that should positively alter the trajectory of our university. So yes. We are gloating and have a tinge of arrogance. Joining the SLC won't be the worst thing to happen but not the desired outcome. Despite this SFA will make the best of it!

Move on and up. Axe 'Em Jacks
The outgoing president of McNeese says that McNeese is in the black two or three years ahead of schedule.
Besides the pressbox, McNeese has a new football locker room. Should your basketball teams ever venture back to LC, you will see the Legacy Center and know why even Will Wade was impressed. Ask someone for a tour.
Due to insurance and FEMA funds, lots of construction is going on on the campus. It's really going to be a showcase. Really glad you will have all the UT money coming in, and your incoming AD sounds like a real crackerjack. So let's see how this will play out for y'all.
I actually kept up with the Jacks and Ladyjacks and hoped for them to do well. I do think the WAC was a big mistake for y'all.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Not talking about SFA conference changing. Talking about the big picture. Schools and conferences are changing almost every year now. Pac 12 fell apart, Sam and NMSU ran off quickly, UTRVG and Lamar quickly returned to SLC. GCU and SU gone next year to new conference, Utah schools in flux perhaps if WAC fails.......and all these changes and realignments affect many other schools and conferences. Until things settle down there is little continuity. That was my reference.

Gotcha. Check.
BigJack85
mccowboys said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Don't mind me (seems I did get under your skin a bit). Y'all just go back to smoking that funny weed and thinking y'all are something you are not.
You, ACU, and TSU should just start your own conference because with your big heads there would hardly be room for anyone else.
Yeah, football has been rough around here the last few years. Did you hear we got the transfer QB from Montana? But the Lumberjack fans sure can't be throwing stones at bad football teams, now can they? When was the last time a Lumberjack football team was relevant? Oh, and then lost in the playoffs to a SLC team, a school your fanbase looks down on.
I just came here to see if SFA was going to lower its standards and return to the SLC. I didn't know I was going to be rolling on the floor laughing.
P.S. Though the Cowboys went 0-10, McNeese still led the SLC in attendance. How was your attendance?
P.P.S. I can only speak for myself, but I hate that other purple school appropriately named Demons as much as you guys. I actually have worked with many SFA grads. They all seemed to have sense. They must not post on here.
Have a good day!

Not a big deal but, we did win a WAC football title in 2022. Went 8-4 in 2021. So,,,,,, Way more relevant than you might think. Still underperforming. If SFA returns to the SLC , SFA vs McNeese in MBB WILL BE the big deal. Period.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

mccowboys said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Have a good day!

Not a big deal but, we did win a WAC football title in 2022. Went 8-4 in 2021. So,,,,,, Way more relevant than you might think. Still underperforming. If SFA returns to the SLC , SFA vs McNeese in MBB WILL BE the big deal. Period.

Tbh I feel like if we were in the SLC in 2023, we never would've lost the momentum that we had at the start of the season and would've contended for the conference title.
TallTexan
Had some time during the Stars Intermission periods so ran some numbers on travel in two conference realignment scenarios.

SFA + Southland & Texas WAC.

Texas WAC is the Texas WAC schools + the Texas Southland schools.

SFA has, down to the mile, the same average travel in each conference.
HCU is within a mile.

RGV, UIW, Commerce, & Corpus all have better travel in the Texas WAC, averaging between 45-98 mile savings EACH WAY, per trip. I'd bet that's several dozen trips per year, per school, with an average savings of 90 minutes to 3ish hours each game.

Lamar actually fares better in the Southland with around 70 miles each way saved vs the Texas WAC.

Idk if that's enough for those 6 schools to take WAC Commish's call, but I hope those calls are made.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

Had some time during the Stars Intermission periods so ran some numbers on travel in two conference realignment scenarios.

HCU is within a mile.

RGV, UIW, Commerce, & Corpus all have better travel in the Texas WAC, averaging between 45-98 mile savings EACH WAY, per trip. I'd bet that's several dozen trips per year, per school, with an average savings of 90 minutes to 3ish hours each game.

Lamar actually fares better in the Southland with around 70 miles each way saved vs the Texas WAC.

Idk if that's enough for those 6 schools to take WAC Commish's call, but I hope those calls are made.
What would a Texas WAC scenario look like?

Probably SFA, Tarleton, ACU, UTA letting the other WAC schools out penalty free, including GCU/Seattle.

Then you'd probably need to sweeten the pot for the Texas SLC schools some. Ballparking, there are 3.3 mil worth of NCAA units left from the NMSU & GCU NCAA wins. I think you could use that to offer each Southland Texas school around 600k to move. Bc you'd obviously want that money to still benefit the entire WAC, you could stipulate that it's used for expenses related to MBB & WBB or football. The 3 sports you're really trying to build your brand on.

Make no mistake. The WAC is on the ropes. If SFA jumps, you might lose enough teams that the WAC dissolves entirely.

But I feel like the Texas WAC angle might be the only option for the league to survive past the next 3 years. And it's a better home for all the Texas WAC & Texas Southland teams than the Southland itself is. It's a decent bus league in one of the fastest growing states in the country.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

HCU is within a mile.

Probably SFA, Tarleton, ACU, UTA letting the other WAC schools out penalty free, including GCU/Seattle.

Then you'd probably need to sweeten the pot for the Texas SLC schools some. Ballparking, there are 3.3 mil worth of NCAA units left from the NMSU & GCU NCAA wins. I think you could use that to offer each Southland Texas school around 600k to move. Bc you'd obviously want that money to still benefit the entire WAC, you could stipulate that it's used for expenses related to MBB & WBB or football. The 3 sports you're really trying to build your brand on.

Make no mistake. The WAC is on the ropes. If SFA jumps, you might lose enough teams that the WAC dissolves entirely.

But I feel like the Texas WAC angle might be the only option for the league to survive past the next 3 years. And it's a better home for all the Texas WAC & Texas Southland teams than the Southland itself is. It's a decent bus league in one of the fastest growing states in the country.

The aspirations of the WAC were great. Grandfathered into the FBS after 10 years if everyone was ready was going to push every football playing school to go all out on facilities and grow the football programs so much. The shear level of competition that would've elevated SFA, Sam Houston, ACU, and Lamar to new heights in every sport were very exciting. SFA, GCU, and NMSU duking it out for a basketball crown every year was going to be a dream basketball season and potentially going to lead to yearly multi bids from the WAC.

But every year the conference changes have diminished the hope to the point it's hard to tell if the WAC will survive. There are still quality teams but at the beginning it was a massive improvement to the SLC. At this point it's only marginally better, which makes everything seem much less worth it.

I don't regret SFA making the WAC leap when we did. We would be stupid not to. There's no way we could account for C-USA taking our most hated rival in football and potentially most new hated rival in Basketball away from us so quickly, then our new most hated basketball rival leaving very shortly after.

I hate what the old SLC was, and I hope it's improved, but I do question heavily if the WAC is where we want to stay. I do hope our new AD has as big of aspirations for us as Ryan did and wants to see us grow to greater heights than ever before, so I will trust his leadership, but I don't want to see us take a step down and stay at a level we can't grow from. If we return to the SLC I hope it's with the intention of going somewhere bigger and better asap.
Puddingman69
Here's a question for all my wac believers. Is there any scenario where the wac explores grabbing oral Robert's, northern Colorado, and one d2 Texas team. Preferably WTAMU? This just seems unlikely.
BigJack85
Puddingman69 said:

Here's a question for all my wac believers. Is there any scenario where the wac explores grabbing oral Robert's, northern Colorado, and one d2 Texas team. Preferably WTAMU? This just seems unlikely.

WTAM is a big no. The president of wt has said as much. ORU and DU make tons of sense in the WAC. 1. Much better geographically 2. They would stay primarily in growth states 3. Less travel than the Summit etc

So, if it makes sense that means it won't happen.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

HCU is within a mile.

Me: "Hey, Texan. What time is it?"

Tall Texan: "Later. First, let me explain how Big Ben was conceived and constructed."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.