Southland Conference here we come

4,287 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Asked Matt Brown if the SFA & SLC rumors were just off-season rumors or if there was real smoke there.

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbrown.bsky.social/post/3kr2h3fviot2y

Not sure if the BlueSky link will show up so his answer was "Tons". He's made calls and will have an update next week.

Yikes. Not sure what to think about that now. Sounds "inevitable". If it's inevitable, my hope is that we drag ACU along …. at least.

Asking Chris Grant, to go BOLD and add UCA or Little Rock is probably a stretch. I think one or both of them would be very interested given the chaos going on in collegiate athletics.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
ServiceJack88
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Asked Matt Brown if the SFA & SLC rumors were just off-season rumors or if there was real smoke there.

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbrown.bsky.social/post/3kr2h3fviot2y

Not sure if the BlueSky link will show up so his answer was "Tons". He's made calls and will have an update next week.

Yikes. Not sure what to think about that now. Sounds "inevitable". If it's inevitable, my hope is that we drag ACU along …. at least.

Asking Chris Grant, to go BOLD and add UCA or Little Rock is probably a stretch. I think one or both of them would be very interested given the chaos going on in collegiate athletics.
From what I have heard is that ACU is waiting on SFA to make a decision
SFA Jack Fanatic
Who is this Matt Brown fellow?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Extra Points. He broke the story about SFA Sam Lamar ACU headed to the WAC.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pretty phenomenal writer too. Almost never posts anything without some kind of source to back it up, and is really good at finding answers to anything sports related.
TallTexan
Matt Brown's new piece is out.

A few key points: lots of smoke around SFA and the Southland. WAC contacts say they're aware but confident SFA will have patience. Southland conference contacts say it's basically a done deal and could be announced basically as soon as weaver is on campus.

WAC would obviously be in danger with only 9 members and a few football schools.

Utah schools would try for summit league invite. GCU obviously wants the WCC invite but there's not enough support there yet or else they'd already be in. UTA, Tarleton, ACU likely to look at the ASUN.

Outside factors like PAC2 reload could further affect WAC membership.

"The 2021 dream is dead" no matter the path SFA takes.
jboy93
Why would ACU not come along if they are wanted? Seems that would be their best option as well.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Matt Brown's new piece is out.

A few key points: lots of smoke around SFA and the Southland. WAC contacts say they're aware but confident SFA will have patience. Southland conference contacts say it's basically a done deal and could be announced basically as soon as weaver is on campus.

WAC would obviously be in danger with only 9 members and a few football schools.

Utah schools would try for summit league invite. GCU obviously wants the WCC invite but there's not enough support there yet or else they'd already be in. UTA, Tarleton, ACU likely to look at the ASUN.

Outside factors like PAC2 reload could further affect WAC membership.

"The 2021 dream is dead" no matter the path SFA takes.

I read the entire piece.

Sounds like lots of moving parts. ASUN SLC Summit (for the Utah schools)

The ASUN possibility is intriguing to me. I've seen that (ASUN) as a potential vehicle to a more viable geographic alignment while not dropping the idea of being in a strong(er) conference. The ASUN has tons of upside.
TallTexan
I do think we vibe better with the ASUN schools but it has some of the same geographic issues the WAC has. It's not quite as large, but it's pretty dang large.

Definitely lots of moving pieces.

I wish the PAC2 would decide what they plan to do so that we might be able to shed some western schools and then re-evaluate how to rebuild the WAC or move.

If those schools are out, you really could pitch a Texas only WAC or similar.

Then you get the bus league without having to have every event in lake Charles, dealing with the LA schools not funding programs, etc.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I do think we vibe better with the ASUN schools but it has some of the same geographic issues the WAC has. It's not quite as large, but it's pretty dang large.

I wish the PAC2 would decide what they plan to do so that we might be able to shed some western schools and then re-evaluate how to rebuild the WAC or move.

Then you get the bus league without having to have every event in lake Charles, dealing with the LA schools not funding programs, etc.
Yes. I love the Utah schools. Not sure how the "privates" in AZ, CA and WA work with us. And the travel to Seattle in particular is a nightmare. If you could "pare" down the travel out west a little it would change the dynamic dramatically.

The Southland wouldn't be that bad if we didn't have the HBU/UIW mess. UIW brings something in FCS but other than that, they are really just an Artistic Swimming powerhouse. We might have to live with that, as the powers that be generally want to save money. Damn the weak sauce conference rating.

Maybe Weaver takes his time and does some reflection on what trips to Thibodeaux do to your soul.
SCH890
TallTexan said:

While there is travel in ASUN but it seem far less than making Travel to Utah, California and Washington. Plus only jumping between one time zone. I like the move more than Southland. But I still feel writing on the wall is Southland. I would expect ACU to follow us there. The rest who knows.
ServiceJack88
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Yes. I love the Utah schools. Not sure how the "privates" in AZ, CA and WA work with us. And the travel to Seattle in particular is a nightmare. If you could "pare" down the travel out west a little it would change the dynamic dramatically.

The Southland wouldn't be that bad if we didn't have the HBU/UIW mess. UIW brings something in FCS but other than that, they are really just an Artistic Swimming powerhouse. We might have to live with that, as the powers that be generally want to save money. Damn the weak sauce conference rating.

Maybe Weaver takes his time and does some reflection on what trips to Thibodeaux do to your soul.
What kind of reflection does he need to do? He worked there for three years!
Pilotgirl
I think the decision will be made pretty quickly once the new Prez is on board. But that is just my 2 cents....
TallTexan
Anyone know the price if we were to leave the WAC after next season?

I know it's 2 mil if we leave now right?
No-look
If we leave the WAC we need to win it. Go out with a banner
SCH890
TallTexan said:

Anyone know the price if we were to leave the WAC after next season?

I know it's 2 mil if we leave now right?
Probably around that much but I know the UT System would probably fund that if they think its best for the university. (I hope)
CertifiedAxeman98
Basketball Rankings Matter:

Just because the WAC has been a 1 bid league in basketball is not a reason to go back to the Southland. If you win the SLC you are a 15 seed at best unless you go undefeated in the SLC and beat some good non-com teams. If you win the WAC you are a 12 seed if not better depending on how you do in non-con. Then you actually have a chance to do something in the Tourney. SLC you are 1 and done in the tourney or playing in Dayton (a play in game).

Level of Competition Matters:

I love the competition in the WAC. It makes us work hard and play hard and you got to want to win. You got to get talent to win. It is a much higher level of basketball and I like watching it even if we lose some. It is competitive and exciting real college level basketball. Playing a bunch of teams that can barely beat a D2 school is boring and hard to watch. The schools in the SLC are mostly sub 300 ranked schools with bad records and lack talent. Beating up on a bunch of High School teams is not fun to watch just to hang a SLC banner.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I agree with you Certified, but how much say do we get in the situation as fans and alumni etc. None.

I'm still guessing it is budget matters that has this SLC conversation going. Less spent on travel, several SLC road trips would not even involve hotel accommodations for a night.
Perhaps there are other issues involved that we, the SFA public, don't get to hear about. So I'm just waiting it out to see what happens.
Do agree though, I like the mix of WAC teams that we must compete against.
If we must go back to SLC I do hope that ACU does also, they have become a fun rivalry.
TallTexan
My favorite thing about the WAC is being around schools that want to improve their standing in the world.

I won't hate the SLC move, but there are far too many HCUs, UIWs, & similar schools for my liking.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Basketball Rankings Matter:

Just because the WAC has been a 1 bid league in basketball is not a reason to go back to the Southland. If you win the SLC you are a 15 seed at best unless you go undefeated in the SLC and beat some good non-com teams. If you win the WAC you are a 12 seed if not better depending on how you do in non-con. Then you actually have a chance to do something in the Tourney. SLC you are 1 and done in the tourney or playing in Dayton (a play in game).

Level of Competition Matters:

I love the competition in the WAC. It makes us work hard and play hard and you got to want to win. You got to get talent to win. It is a much higher level of basketball and I like watching it even if we lose some. It is competitive and exciting real college level basketball. Playing a bunch of teams that can barely beat a D2 school is boring and hard to watch. The schools in the SLC are mostly sub 300 ranked schools with bad records and lack talent. Beating up on a bunch of High School teams is not fun to watch just to hang a SLC banner.

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully Mike McBroom reads THE SAWMILL. There are other options. Not much better but certainly feasible, is the ASUN. Adding a few (3) Texas teams would boost the ASUN's NET while providing a clear avenue to build a robust FCS conference.

Michael McBroom. Please hear us.
CertifiedAxeman98
Football:

I am curious if FBS is still a future goal?

When the Texas4 made the move to the WAC. They made a big to do about moving up to FBS in the next decade. The plan as I understood it was for the WAC to transition up like the Sunbelt did. That never materialized in the WAC and then they made the move to form the UAC to have enough teams for an FCS auto bid. SAM took their opportunity when it came along and moved up to CUSA and we got stuck on the outside looking in.

I have heard all the pros and cons of moving up to FBS vs. staying FCS and I see both sides. I am not trying to debate FBS vs FCS. I am just curious if the University still wants to move up or if they want to stay FCS.

If you want to move to FBS in the next decade, a move to the SLC is a step in the wrong direction. It gets you further away from FBS not closer.
nacluth
Everyone talks a big game about the future of SFA football, but the truth is that since 1990 outside of a spark around Jeremy Moses, SFA hasn't been a good FCS team. Realistically no FBS conference wants a cellar dweller like SFA. I'll ride the hype train every year that this will be our year to turn the corner.

I was at the last playoff game that SFA won, but I have to just tell my daughter who's going into high school about it because she wasn't born yet. At this point FBS is not even a twinkle in Carthel's eye.
wawwhite
IMO, SFA needs to upgrade Homer Bryce Stadium in order to recruit higher caliber players for football. It feels and looks antiquated and if I were a player looking at universities, that would be a factor in my decision. It doesn't need to be the biggest, but it can be the best. The same can be said for Baseball/Softball, they deserve better.
wawwhite
wawwhite said:

IMO, SFA needs to upgrade Homer Bryce Stadium in order to recruit higher caliber players for football. It feels and looks antiquated and if I were a player looking at universities, that would be a factor in my decision. It doesn't need to be the biggest, but it can be the best. The same can be said for Baseball/Softball, they deserve better.
I should have said more higher caliber players. I know those players are doing the best they can, and I don't want to knock their hard work.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Football:

I am curious if FBS is still a future goal?

When the Texas4 made the move to the WAC. They made a big to do about moving up to FBS in the next decade. The plan as I understood it was for the WAC to transition up like the Sunbelt did. That never materialized in the WAC and then they made the move to form the UAC to have enough teams for an FCS auto bid. SAM took their opportunity when it came along and moved up to CUSA and we got stuck on the outside looking in.

I have heard all the pros and cons of moving up to FBS vs. staying FCS and I see both sides. I am not trying to debate FBS vs FCS. I am just curious if the University still wants to move up or if they want to stay FCS.

If you want to move to FBS in the next decade, a move to the SLC is a step in the wrong direction. It gets you further away from FBS not closer.

Agreed. We need a donor to make a commitment to football, in the same range of what was made to basketball (Loddie Naymola) I don't know if our donor base has that level of commitment. An improved fieldhouse and new track and field house might all that we get. Having the 2nd or 3rd best basketball facilities in the ASUN should keep us in the title hunt. And if UT helps us update the fieldhouse and add some separate T&F facilities we,d probably be a competitor in that realm. Long story short, I hope the SLC isn't the only option being considered.
AxeEm99
nacluth said:

Everyone talks a big game about the future of SFA football, but the truth is that since 1990 outside of a spark around Jeremy Moses, SFA hasn't been a good FCS team. Realistically no FBS conference wants a cellar dweller like SFA. I'll ride the hype train every year that this will be our year to turn the corner.

I was at the last playoff game that SFA won, but I have to just tell my daughter who's going into high school about it because she wasn't born yet. At this point FBS is not even a twinkle in Carthel's eye.

Thank you for your comment!! It is nice
to hear a very respected member of this board share a true view of where we are at as a program!! My very similar comments have been shot down so many times in the past!!
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Ya. Sad to say that the 88' - 89' run and the John Pearce era are in the rear view mirror. That 2009-2010 mini run seems like a mirage. If we want to be relevant in FCS we need to put $10 - $20 million into Homer Bryce as an opening bid. Some sort of investment in our football facilities is a minimum. Heck, some sort of independent facilities for T&F would be a step forward. Would put us miles ahead of all but a few SLC schools and 1/2 of the ASUN.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.