2024 Baseball

15,091 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll have to find the article, but I think the 2008 expected cost with Bo Pilgrim Park was 17 mil.

I just don't see that ever getting invested into this program. I don't think we ever intended to invest much in the program.

Also noteworthy, Baker Patillo told a parent when the stadium fell through, that the athletic department had never consulted the uni leadership on restarting the program.
SFAJack_76
Not that it matters now, but Ivey was working on a deal that, although not on campus, would have greatly improved both softball and baseball facilities. The interim President told him no. What will the new president support and promote?
SFAXE93
Interesting, makes you wonder what battles the new AD will have with the powers that be over the topic of baseball at SFA.

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
SFA:1 (3-17; 0-4)
UVU:11 (5-12; 2-2)
Final (7 innings)

Utah Valley snaps their losing ways as they get 11 runs off of 13 hits
SFA 1 run off of 3 hits

Cole Hill the lone bright spot on offense for the Jacks, with his second straight game with a HR (his 3rd of the season; need more of this with runners on base)

SFA pitching K's 4 walks 4 with 11ER's
Utah Valley K's 10 walks 1 with 1 ER

Jacks try to avoid 17 straight loses today at 3:05
ESPN+
Pilotgirl
Can we please just ditch baseball for men's soccer?? I'm begging!!!!
SFAXE93
SFA:5 (3-18; 0-5)
UVUL:7 (6-12; 3-2)
Final

SFA was actually in this one, after taking a 4-0 lead in the 1st, UVU shot right back (as they always do) scoring in 3 straight innings to take a 6-4 lead in the bottom of the 4th.

But the Jacks answered with a RBI single in the top of the 5th making the score 6-5.

UVU had 4 HR's in this one going back up by 2 in the top of the 9th

SFA had their chance with one aboard and the tying run at the plate in Nolan Brown, but he pops out to center field ending the game.

Not a bad outing by SFA pitcher Reid Boyett who goes the distance, giving up 7 runs (all earned) off of 10 hits, fans 9 and walks 3.

UVU goes for the sweep tomorrow at 12:05 PM ESPN+
SFAXE93
UVU completes the sweep with ease.

UVU:12 (7-12; 4-2)
SFA:2 (3-19; 0-6)
Final (7 innings) 4th mercy ruling on the season

UVU scores in 5 of the 7 innings, 12 runs off of 11 hits (4 more HR's)
SFA scores 2 runs off of 7 hits while committing 3 errors.

UVU pitching K's 3 (lots of pop and ground outs) and walks 3
SFA K's 6, walks 3

Bourge and Griffin supply the only offense with a double and a single RBI

Back to Texas for a 3-game series with UTA in Arlington Mar. 22 - 24 starting at 6:30 Fri.

The Mavs (7-13; 3-3) are in a bit of a slump losing 2 straight and 4 of their last 5.
SCH890
I love our coach but man I think its time to move on from him... The best we've done in the past with him is finished second in Southland in 2011 since then its been a decline. Right now we are currently 297 in RPI out of 305 teams. I really hope our new AD looks at Baseball and reevaluates it. The sponsorship with Pilgrim I thought would be a step in the right direction but I guess not.
JHard
SeanCHurst said:

I love our coach but man I think its time to move on from him... The best we've done in the past with him is finished second in Southland in 2011 since then its been a decline. Right now we are currently 297 in RPI out of 305 teams. I really hope our new AD looks at Baseball and reevaluates it. The sponsorship with Pilgrim I thought would be a step in the right direction but I guess not.
All of this.

And yes. It's time to move on. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I get our facilities are subpar, but good lord, I'd at least rather let someone else try.
BigJack85
JHard said:

SeanCHurst said:

All of this.

And yes. It's time to move on. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I get our facilities are subpar, but good lord, I'd at least rather let someone else try.

I'll be interested to hear what exactly the Pilgrims Park partnership adds to the mix.
SCH890
My only guess an appeal to recruits. But my friend and I discussed it really isn't the eye catching thing that would bring someone in. A stadium on campus would do it but that's a long shot.
Jackdad22
It seems Ivey left for a reason. Rumors are swirling that major budget cuts are looming. This will affect all sports but football. It is the only sport capable of generating revenue that is needed to sustain the foreseeable budget needs. It is possible SFA will rejoin the SLC to reduce travel cost as well. Bo pilgrim park upgrades are still a possibility depending on the new AD. Changes are coming.
SFAJack_76
Jackdad22 said:

It seems Ivey left for a reason. Rumors are swirling that major budget cuts are looming. This will affect all sports but football. It is the only sport capable of generating revenue that is needed to sustain the foreseeable budget needs. It is possible SFA will rejoin the SLC to reduce travel cost as well. Bo pilgrim park upgrades are still a possibility depending on the new AD. Changes are coming.

Rumors of budget cuts are not why Ivey went to La Tech.
Jackdad22
You are correct. Among other things. He did not believe in taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
ServiceJack88
Jackdad22 said:

You are correct. Among other things. He did not believe in taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

What makes you believe this? Sources?
Jackdad22
Only 1 source I will not name. The athletic department has been trying to elevate SFA athletics since at least 2020. When COVID hit SFA was trying on a national level to prove we were FBS worthy. We played Memphis, SMU, UTSA and UTEP even petitioned to play in a FBS Bowl. In 2021 Ivey was proud to announce SFA would joint the WAC. This was in anticipation of the jump to FBS, supposedly a five year plan. He knew football was the catalyst for growing the athletic department. He saw the writing on the wall and made a change for him and his family. At least 1 person is acknowledging the fact that the transfer portal is decimating the SFA athletic program. There are people asking why they pour money into programs where the athletes have entered the transfer portal and left within a year. These questions are long overdue and hopefully answers will come soon.
SCH890
Jackdad22 said:

Only 1 source I will not name. The athletic department has been trying to elevate SFA athletics since at least 2020. When COVID hit SFA was trying on a national level to prove we were FBS worthy. We played Memphis, SMU, UTSA and UTEP even petitioned to play in a FBS Bowl. In 2021 Ivey was proud to announce SFA would joint the WAC. This was in anticipation of the jump to FBS, supposedly a five year plan. He knew football was the catalyst for growing the athletic department. He saw the writing on the wall and made a change for him and his family. At least 1 person is acknowledging the fact that the transfer portal is decimating the SFA athletic program. There are people asking why they pour money into programs where the athletes have entered the transfer portal and left within a year. These questions are long overdue and hopefully answers will come soon.
I can see Football being the striving force for revenue but at the same time if you build the basketball program up it also could bring revenue for the university. As people say if it aint broke don't fix it. Plus then you can use that money to fall into the lap of Football and other departments.
Jackdad22
I understand completely. All sports should back each other for the benefit of everyone. I attended a couple basketball games this year so I could see for myself what the attendance was like. At 1 game there was close to 1,000 people . The second game maybe 300. Attendance was not what I expected. Seats need to be sold to generate revenue. Concessions and souvenirs revolve around people being in the seats.
SCH890
Jackdad22 said:

I understand completely. All sports should back each other for the benefit of everyone. I attended a couple basketball games this year so I could see for myself what the attendance was like. At 1 game there was close to 1,000 people . The second game maybe 300. Attendance was not what I expected. Seats need to be sold to generate revenue. Concessions and souvenirs revolve around people being in the seats.Yep
Yep. Before Covid levels we averaged 3,782 in 2018 and womens it was 1808. Now I wonder what our average. Probably no where close to those numbers.

Source was a Facebook memory that popped up today,
SFAXE93
Jackdad22 said:

I guess going 0-6 in conference play, in the new UAC was the final nail in the coffin.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

Jackdad22 said:

I understand completely. All sports should back each other for the benefit of everyone. I attended a couple basketball games this year so I could see for myself what the attendance was like. At 1 game there was close to 1,000 people . The second game maybe 300. Attendance was not what I expected. Seats need to be sold to generate revenue. Concessions and souvenirs revolve around people being in the seats.Yep
Yep. Before Covid levels we averaged 3,782 in 2018 and womens it was 1808. Now I wonder what our average. Probably no where close to those numbers.

Source was a Facebook memory that popped up today,

Your Facebook memory is accurate and the timing was critical. Covid hit a largely residential university hard.

The first year of Covid I believe we averaged about 1500/game. This year (2023/2024) we averaged close to 2300/game. Doesn't seem like much but when you factor in the number of Christmas/New Year holidays contests that had attendance of about 1,200 you can see that the marquee games (GCU, ACU and CBU) were reasonably well attended. I believe the attendance for GCU was about 3,650. I was at 3 games NAU, GCU and ACU and they were all relatively well attended.

If Keller can start a season on a little bit of a roll (6-1 or 7-2) we will probably see interest rise significantly.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
ServiceJack88
Currently down 16-3 top of 7th
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

Currently down 16-3 top of 7th

Debacle. I feel bad for Cardenas and the boys.
ServiceJack88
Yep! Currently riding a 19-game losing streak
SFAXE93
Never seen anything like it.

SFA:3 (3-20; 0-7)
UTA:16 (8-14; 4-3)
Final - 7th

UTA 16 runs off of 8 hits, 3 separate players for UTA with 3 RBI's.
SFA 3 runs off of 8 hits, Parker with 2 RBI's

UTA pitching, all by one pitcher, 5K's and 2 walks, 3 ERs
SFA pitching 3 pitchers 4K's, 9 walks, 15 ERs
SFAXE93
SFA:2
UTA:5
Bottom of the 7th

All the announcers seem to talk about is the nations longest losing streak.
SFAXE93
UTA loads the bases with one out.
SFAXE93
sac fly 6-2 UTA
SFAXE93
Double to right field

7-2
SFAXE93
base hit

9-2
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

base hit

9-2

I'm trying to laugh.
SFAXE93
SFA has stranded 9 base runners with 10 hits, just can't get them home.
SFAXE93
Lawson with a quick bottom of the 8th, as he retires the side.

Last chance for the Jacks

9-2 UTA.
SFAXE93
Hill with a one out single to center field

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.