2024 Baseball

15,135 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by SFAXE93
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

Single, runner scores

16-9

I love baseball, but….. why don't we save some athletic budget money. Drop baseball. Add men's tennis. Fewer scholarships. Fewer travel dollars Less equipment. And we have tennis facilities that are at least , ok. Add $500,000 ,to expand the locker room and boom. Probably at least marginally competitive
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
18-9 on a fielder's choice runner thrown out at 2nd
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
Makes you wonder why they even brought baseball back in 2005.

Walk, bases loaded up again 1 out.

19-9 runner scores on a single.

Ballgame
SFAXE93
HCU:19 (4-4)
SFA:9 (3-6)
Final

Pilotgirl
Wow...agree on men's tennis or swap it with men's soccer? Soccer is huge in Dallas and down here in Houston, too. It's a growing sport in the US. Heck, trade baseball for swimming even.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Makes you wonder why they even brought baseball back in 2005.

Walk, bases loaded up again 1 out.

19-9 runner scores on a single.

Ballgame
I've always wondered.

The guys I went to SFA with in the early 2010s said they were promised an oncampus stadium was in the works.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Have to agree that baseball at SFA seems to be nothing but an afterthought. Very hard to compete in recruiting when so many schools have an actual ballpark on or by campus. I don't believe SFA has ever seriously given baseball it's due. It's just kind of "there".
Don't see it going away though with the recently announced partnership with Pilgrims. Of course it's good to partner up with local business and the community but beyond the field now called Pilgrim's Park, I don't see that helping recruiting much and that is what building a team is all about.

Of course we will have a new AD coming on in the near future. He/she will have their own ideas and plans and will want to guide SFA athletics along those lines. I fear though that all that will happen with baseball is Cardenas will be given a pink slip and sent on his way. From all appearances, Cardenas has done what he can with what he is given to work with over the years. I suppose a new face could bring some success but seems unlikely given where baseball ranks on athletic list of importance.

I'm not much for soccer myself but it is growing here in U.S. The local Austin FC seems highly popular and well supported.

Note to Pilotgirl---notice I said he/she for next AD!!!
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Wow...agree on men's tennis or swap it with men's soccer? Soccer is huge in Dallas and down here in Houston, too. It's a growing sport in the US. Heck, trade baseball for swimming even.

I don't think we have the swimming facilities. Soccer would be great, but would prefer a spring sport.
Pilotgirl
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Have to agree that baseball at SFA seems to be nothing but an afterthought. Very hard to compete in recruiting when so many schools have an actual ballpark on or by campus. I don't believe SFA has ever seriously given baseball it's due. It's just kind of "there".
Don't see it going away though with the recently announced partnership with Pilgrims. Of course it's good to partner up with local business and the community but beyond the field now called Pilgrim's Park, I don't see that helping recruiting much and that is what building a team is all about.

Of course we will have a new AD coming on in the near future. He/she will have their own ideas and plans and will want to guide SFA athletics along those lines. I fear though that all that will happen with baseball is Cardenas will be given a pink slip and sent on his way. From all appearances, Cardenas has done what he can with what he is given to work with over the years. I suppose a new face could bring some success but seems unlikely given where baseball ranks on athletic list of importance.

I'm not much for soccer myself but it is growing here in U.S. The local Austin FC seems highly popular and well supported.

Note to Pilotgirl---notice I said he/she for next AD!!!

Much appreciated! And, I'm sure the new interim appreciates it as well
SFAXE93
Next Up!

Louisiana - Monroe (3-4)
Feb. 28 (Wed.) 6:30 P.M.
Pilgrim's Park
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA:2 (3-7)
ULM:13 (5-4)
Final

Colton Griffin with 1 run, 1 hit, 1 double, 2 walks, and 2 stolen bases.
Tom Biggs 1 hit, 1 double, and 2 RBI's

The Jacks will look to end their 6-game losing streak on the road in sunny California for a 4-game series against a very good UC-San Diego (5-3) team in La Jolia.

The Tritons, in only their 4th season of division I competition are coming off a 34-18 2023 campaign which ended in a 7-game win streak with wins over Michigan, UNLV, and BYU.

This season UCSD has a series sweep over San Jose State, and a split DH with Missouri.

All three of the Tritons' losses have been by 1 run, and two of those games went to extra innings.

Mar. 1 (Fri,) 6:30 P.M. & 8:00 P.M. (DH)
ESPN+
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

SFA:2 (3-7)
ULM:13 (5-4)
Final

Colton Griffin with 1 run, 1 hit, 1 double, 2 walks, and 2 stolen bases.
Tom Biggs 1 hit, 1 double, and 2 RBI's

The Jacks will look to end their 6-game losing streak on the road in sunny California for a 4-game series against a very good UC-San Diego (5-3) team in La Jolia.

The Tritons, in only their 4th season of division I competition are coming off a 34-18 2023 campaign which ended in a 7-game win streak with wins over Michigan, UNLV, and BYU.

This season UCSD has a series sweep over San Jose State, and a split DH with Missouri.

All three of the Tritons' losses have been by 1 run, and two of those games went to extra innings.

Mar. 1 (Fri,) 6:30 P.M. & 8:00 P.M. (DH)
ESPN+

Lots of sick kids the last few days. Probably should not have played the ULM game.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA down 3-9 in the bottom of the 7th.

Jaco and Woods have combined for 5 K's while giving up 9 earned runs (2 HR's) off of 11 hits

SFAXE93
SFA:4 (3-8)
UCSD:10 (6-3)
Final

SFA:2 (3-9)
UCSD:4 (7-3)
Final

The Jacks hang in the second game of the DH, holding the Tritons to 6 scoreless innings behind the solid pitching of Boyett and Stapleton who combine for 7 K's giving up 4 earned runs off of 8 hits and walking only 2.

Nolan Brown with another HR, 2 runs on 2 hits.

The Jacks return for game 3 in La Jolia at 3:00.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA down 1-5 in the bottom of the 7th.

Another pretty solid pitching performance by the Jacks pitching with 5 scoreless innings, Elian Balmaceda gives up 5 earned runs off of 6 hits, 5 K's, and 2 walks.

8 K's in total from the pitching staff in this one.

The bats for SFA have been quite, Cole Hill with the lone run on a RBI from Nolan Brown.

The Tritons pitching has been off the charts with 12 K's combined from two pitchers.
SFAXE93
Wheels come completely off as UCSD scores 11 runs total in the 7th and 8th.

16 runs (4 HR's) off of 17 hits.

The are actually going to play the 9th inning, but I'm calling it.

SFA:1 (3-10)
UCSD:16 (8-3)
Final

BigJack85
Frustrated. Why bother. Only vaguely resemble a D1 team.
SFAXE93
It will be interesting to see what the new AD thinks about our baseball program, or the lack there of.

SFAXE93
SFA (3-10) 9-straight losses and Utah Tech (1-10) 8-straight losses are in the battle for the first over all pick in next year's draft.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

It will be interesting to see what the new AD thinks about our baseball program, or the lack there of.

No disrespect to our athletes or our coach, bc if SFA was competing in a paint drying contest I'd be pulling for us.

But I'd rather see us compete in other sports that wouldn't take a several million dollar outlay just to have a stadium on par with D1.
SFAXE93
I think Men's Soccer makes sense.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA:0
UCSD:7
Top of 6th

Fantastic pitching from UCSD, that team has got some depth in the bullpen holding the Jacks to 3 hits and no runs. 8 K's

UCSD has

8 conference championships since 2005 (CCAA)
7 College World Series Appearances since 1987, latest in 2019.
16 NCAA Tournament appearances
SFAXE93
9-0 UCSD bottom of 6th and bases loaded ugh.

Oh good it has started to rain.
SFAXE93
Pouring now!

Wild pitch 10-0

There are some dedicated fans out there.
SFAXE93
Another walk bases loaded.

UCSD has only scored 10 or more runs 4 times this season in 12 games and 3 of those 4 times has come against SFA.
SFAXE93
another single 12-0

Pitching change for SFA, runners at the corners with 1 out.
SFAXE93
Double play by the Jacks!
SFAXE93
Thompson with a 2 out single to right field Biggs scores.

12-1

runners at the corners with Griffin to the plate

Griffin has yet to have a hit in this series, 0-3 today.

now 0-4

To the bottom of the 7th
SFAXE93
17-1 UCSD only 1 out

47 runs have been scored by the Tritons in this series.

SFAXE93
Hill scores on an RBI double to right field by Biggs.

17-2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.