SFA / Grand Canyon (2)

3,097 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Ya I don't think talent is the issue.

On paper to begin the season this team had a ton of talent.
You can pretty much summarize this whole season with the words "on paper."
djsfw57
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So if what you are saying is that Keller has no chance to land the players that want to go to a Big school with lots of media and attention and real chances to go to the Dance each year and around the nation coverage of that person or his team that an SFA or Nacogdoches can't offer---then I would agree. But that would go for any coach that comes here. Your very points about lack of overall support and Nac being off the beaten path and lacking a real airport will still hold true. Perhaps---perhaps a young firebrand assistant coach somewhere could come in and recruit some different athletes that would ignore a Keller but would he bring with him all the skills needed to get them to buy in and stay any more so than they do now? We may find out once a new AD comes online. The next AD will want to put his own brand on SFA and I expect we will see some coaches departing over the next year or two, not by their own choice.

I don't see the support of students or locals ever rising to the levels we want to see. Most students don't come here for the sports and likely many of the locals would just as soon see SFA leave town---those liberal students and all. Look at the Ladyjacks. Continued success on the hardwood since the 70s (with some lean times here and there) and the crowds do not come. Perhaps if SFA MBB won 25-30 games every year for a decade then we would get huge crowds......but the coach that could do that would only be here 3 or 4 years then hired away by the big money.

Not arguing for or against Keller in this case, just saying the "negatives" about SFA location and fan support will not vanish under a new coaching staff.
I have to say your comment about "liberal students" is outlandish and ridiculous.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA88
At the risk of speaking for L&L, I think he meant that with quotes around it. Even back in the '80s one could hear (sans the liberal students part) some local citizen blowing hot air like that. I never paid attention to it because most locals know, without the university, Nacogdoches would be the size of every other town within Nacogdoches County.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

At the risk of speaking for L&L, I think he meant that with quotes around it. Even back in the '80s one could hear (sans the liberal students part) some local citizen blowing hot air like that. I never paid attention to it because most locals know, without the university, Nacogdoches would be the size of every other town within Nacogdoches County.

All this talk about our "****ty" fan support is annoying. We rank 2nd in the WAC in home attendance. Much of that is due to 2-3 games. GCU , CBU and ACU. Our home attendance was among the best in the mid majors from 2010-2020. Winning will solve a lot of problems. Keller needs a rock solid 20+ win season next year. And at least a peek at the WAC tournament finals. If we can get close to averaging 2800 a game we're good.

If Keller can get 3 slot guy that can really turn it in we've got upside at 1,2 and 4. I think Beaubrun makes a leap next year
Ljacks&Longnecks
Really djsfw57......read it again. I'm saying that many of the Nac locals think that SFA is too liberal because students generally are more so and Nac is not. Did you not see all the comments back when the UT takeover was still pending. On Facebook there were many many comments fearing SFA would become even more liberal due to UT influence. Was speaking for the locals that don't care for SFA, and especially the students viewpoints.
In no way reflects any personal viewpoints....next time I'll remember the " "
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks 88. Back to the mid 70s was the same with some locals....certainly not all.
djsfw57
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Really djsfw57......read it again. I'm saying that many of the Nac locals think that SFA is too liberal because students generally are more so and Nac is not. Did you not see all the comments back when the UT takeover was still pending. On Facebook there were many many comments fearing SFA would become even more liberal due to UT influence. Was speaking for the locals that don't care for SFA, and especially the students viewpoints.
In no way reflects any personal viewpoints....next time I'll remember the " "
Yeah, having " " would have made a HUGE difference.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

SFA88 said:

All this talk about our "****ty" fan support is annoying. We rank 2nd in the WAC in home attendance. Much of that is due to 2-3 games. GCU , CBU and ACU. Our home attendance was among the best in the mid majors from 2010-2020. Winning will solve a lot of problems. Keller needs a rock solid 20+ win season next year. And at least a peek at the WAC tournament finals. If we can get close to averaging 2800 a game we're good.

If Keller can get 3 slot guy that can really turn it in we've got upside at 1,2 and 4. I think Beaubrun makes a leap next year

I do agree that winning will help, but I also think our promotion for games in the 2010-2020 era was peak. Remember all the posts about us being one of the top schools in the nation, not mid majors, in the ENTIRE country in social media engagement for a time. They did an outstanding job promoting everything in every sport.

Not to say they don't do well enough now, but the promotion and social media engagement was next level in that time and I truly think it helped get the students, fans, and alumni into it enough they were willing to put everything else aside to be at every game. Hell I've beaten this horse to death now but "Cram The Coliseum" would be promoted during football season and continually promoted for months. Now we get 2-3 days of a heads up that it's happening. That's not going to give alumni and fans a chance to plan to make the trip to Nac.

Even in bad years, football attendance was always pretty good in the early season, like over 10,000 fans in attendance.

I think if we promoted games better, as in tried to get fans more hyped about games, we would see an improvement.
MasterAxe
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA88 said:

I do agree that winning will help, but I also think our promotion for games in the 2010-2020 era was peak. Remember all the posts about us being one of the top schools in the nation, not mid majors, in the ENTIRE country in social media engagement for a time. They did an outstanding job promoting everything in every sport.

Not to say they don't do well enough now, but the promotion and social media engagement was next level in that time and I truly think it helped get the students, fans, and alumni into it enough they were willing to put everything else aside to be at every game. Hell I've beaten this horse to death now but "Cram The Coliseum" would be promoted during football season and continually promoted for months. Now we get 2-3 days of a heads up that it's happening. That's not going to give alumni and fans a chance to plan to make the trip to Nac.

Even in bad years, football attendance was always pretty good in the early season, like over 10,000 fans in attendance.

I think if we promoted games better, as in tried to get fans more hyped about games, we would see an improvement.
I think everyone is pretty much correct in their assessment.

(1) Gotta win. The more "fair weathered" fans show up when winning, 8-5 at home this year...meh.
(2) Promotion has to be better, for sure. But, then you have to win the games you promote. I was at the ACU game recently...pretty good crowd. Loser game. I will come back, but you're gonna lose a lot of mid-level fans by losing.

I think one thing that plays an impact is the semi-consequences of moving to the WAC.

People don't know these teams we are playing.

At least in the Southland there were some natural geographic rivalries with Lamar, McNeese, NWST, HBU, SELA, etc...

Those games, for the most part, still had a decent fan turnout.

And now Sam and NMSU have left the WAC, the competition "name recognition" is almost zero.
FBK_Lumberjack
Please don't rely on the reported attendance for our home games as an argument that our fan support is there....I know for a fact that athletic department staff are told to report attendance numbers that are not at all accurate to the amount of fans in the stands. Numerous posters here have noticed that throughout the years on this forum.

There is a massive disconnect between the product on the court and the amount of people who will show up to support it. The fact that a very mediocre men's team this year will still see more fans present than the best Kellogg squads that won 25+ games like clockwork tells the story better than anything. Fan support here is very lackluster, regardless of where we rank in the WAC in attendance.

Also, for those saying Keller is a great guy...woooof. Most of our fans have no idea who that man really is and what he stands for. He's pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes. And when his true colors finally come to light, a lot of people are going to be stunned.
No-look
I attend almost every home game and watch the attendance. I notice how full the parking lot is when arriving and people flow. It's not great but but it's not that bad either. Our attendance would overflow some of the WAC "gyms". Seattle for one. Community fan support isn't that bad. A better student section could really boost the atmosphere…as mentioned winning would cure a lot of things. If we were winning we wouldn't even be discussing this. Lol
BigJack85
No-look said:

I attend almost every home game and watch the attendance. I notice how full the parking lot is when arriving and people flow. It's not great but but it's not that bad either. Our attendance would overflow some of the WAC "gyms". Seattle for one. Community fan support isn't that bad. A better student section could really boost the atmosphere…as mentioned winning would cure a lot of things. If we were winning we wouldn't even be discussing this. Lol

I agree with this. Student section should be behind the opposing team bench.
RichieVan
I'm old enough to remember Nacogdoches hosted an NCAA Women's regional, and the coliseum was jammed. In fact, the women outpaced the men in attendance.
I'm too far away to comment on the level of commitment from the faculty, but they need to buy in as well if they're not. And winning does take care of a lot of ills.
Had to cancel my plans this weekend to take in both games. Coming from Jersey, it would have been the first time in 10 years at WRJ, but unfortunately, the death of a friend takes precedence.
Axe 'em!
jboy93
migata33 said:

He was using both Underwood and Kaspers talent and not his recruits....just saying.
The team that beat Duke:
Kevon Harris - Keller recruit
Gavin Kensmil - Keller recruit
Charlie Daniels -Keller recruit
Calvin Solomon - Keller recruit
David Kachelries - Keller recruit
Cam Johnson - Keller recruit
Roti Ware - Keller recruit
John Comeaux - Keller recruit
I'll take these guys ANY day!
I believe only Bain was a contributing holdover...just saying again!
SFAJack_76
"There is a massive disconnect between the product on the court and the amount of people who will show up to support it. The fact that a very mediocre men's team this year will still see more fans present than the best Kellogg squads that won 25+ games like clockwork tells the story better than anything."

This is much more about women's sports at SFA not getting the level of support that men do, than it is about wins and losses.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

"There is a massive disconnect between the product on the court and the amount of people who will show up to support it. The fact that a very mediocre men's team this year will still see more fans present than the best Kellogg squads that won 25+ games like clockwork tells the story better than anything."

This is much more about women's sports at SFA not getting the level of support that men do, than it is about wins and losses.
This X 1000....and I will say, in general with men vs women's sports...not just an SFA thing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

This X 1000....and I will say, in general with men vs women's sports...not just an SFA thing.

If SFA female students and area women cared as much about SFA women's athletics as Pilot does, we wouldn't be having this conversation either. Thank you, Pilotgirl! Keep pushing!

Maybe what Caitlin Clark is doing this year will open some eyes and light a fire under a few people across the country about women's sports, even here at SFA. Heck, she's even got me fired up more than usual!
migata33
I will say this as my final thoughts on this stream of thought...if the rest of the fan base had our passion and ability to form conversations and concerns on the U's sports direction we would not have a passion problem. I wish I could attend more events in Nacogdoches but I live 4 hours away and being a grumpy old man with a lack of ability to sit still in a car more than 25 minutes now its hard to see the kids play unless they come local. HBU was a great event when we played them as that place was all Jacks fans and making those guys mad enough to fight was a complete bash! Blessings to all my fellow Jacks!
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

If SFA female students and area women cared as much about SFA women's athletics as Pilot does, we wouldn't be having this conversation either. Thank you, Pilotgirl! Keep pushing!

Maybe what Caitlin Clark is doing this year will open some eyes and light a fire under a few people across the country about women's sports, even here at SFA. Heck, she's even got me fired up more than usual!

Thanks, Fanatic! There are a lot of passionate women out the re supporting SFA sports, both men and women. Maybe just not as vocal as others

The thing is, women sports are EXCITING, if sports fans just give them a chance. My blood pressure went up and down like a roller coaster during volleyball season...how fun and thrilling to watch DHump and her talented players in a fast-paced game!!

Same with WBB...love watching our girls play defense and rain 3's! If you aren't watching/going to these games, man...you are missing out! Same with track & field. Softball is always fun! I haven't been to a tennis or beach volleyball game but they look awesome...and Pagan is playing beach VB! Bowling isn't for everyone but I love tuning in and watching our team bowl for SFA on the big stage!

It's all there...just gotta get women AND men, girls AND boys, involved.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Thanks, Fanatic! There are a lot of passionate women out the re supporting SFA sports, both men and women. Maybe just not as vocal as others

The thing is, women sports are EXCITING, if sports fans just give them a chance. My blood pressure went up and down like a roller coaster during volleyball season...how fun and thrilling to watch DHump and her talented players in a fast-paced game!!

Same with WBB...love watching our girls play defense and rain 3's! If you aren't watching/going to these games, man...you are missing out! Same with track & field. Softball is always fun! I haven't been to a tennis or beach volleyball game but they look awesome...and Pagan is playing beach VB! Bowling isn't for everyone but I love tuning in and watching our team bowl for SFA on the big stage!

It's all there...just gotta get women AND men, girls AND boys, involved.

Agree with all that Pilotgirl says, and can personally add tennis and beach VB to the list of fun, intense, athletic competitions to watch. We saw Ariana and her partner beat a Utah pair on Saturday.

Our women student-athletes are seriously under appreciated and under supported. They compete because they really enjoy it. They love seeing people show up to support them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.