SFA / Grand Canyon (2)

3,100 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (15-13, 8-9) vs. Grand Canyon (25-4, 15-3)

WHEN: 3/2 (SAT) 9:00P.M.
WHERE: Global Credit Union Arena (Phoenix, AZ)
WATCH: ESPN+

The Lumberjacks got a feeling of winning a tight game after struggling for the last month in winnable games that they haven't been able to close. Downing Cal Baptist in OT with Christmas' put back lifted the hopes of the depleted Jack team. Erasing one memory of a last play loss helps. If they could erase the biggest last second loss of the season, it may change everything.

No one has beaten GCU in Phoenix all season. While stumbling three times in 2024, they were all on the road. But, they have lost two of their last three and have been showing some weakness down the stretch.

The first time they played was probably the most complete conference game of the season for the Lumberjacks. They will need that focus and trust in this final big matchup. On paper, people could say that the results of this game don't mean much. They would be wrong. The Jacks want this game. Don't count them out.

Axe 'em!
BigJack85
Praying for a solid outcome. Axe 'Em Jacks
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
GCU is 11 1/2 point favorites.
RichieVan
Down to 10 1/2. This is a house money game. Just play loose. Should have won the last one against them.
Jacks1989
GCU is 10 for 10 from free throw line.
jboy93
Heck of an atmosphere at GSU! Would be nice to get just a hint of this at SFA! I guess we are currently in one of our extended scoring droughts sadly.
jboy93
This is really hard to watch. We can't get anyone remotely open and yet they don't have a Lumberjack anywhere close with WIDE open shots!
djsfw57
I can't remember turning off a game at halftime. That's the story tonight.
SFA, Class of 1979
Jacks1989
GCU perfect from the free throw line. 14/14. Jacks not so good.

Hopefully they will start defending the 3 pointers.
migata33
This is really depressing. We are a pile of parts that don't fit together and love or hate Keller we aren't getting better since his hire. Sure...talent isn't exactly looking for Nacogdoches but they ain't looking for Toledo or North Dakota but they still find a way to win. Us...not so much. You wanna dislike me for saying Keller needs to go...go ahead but anything is better than this slop right now. Give me an up and coming assistant from a Power 4 conference and let's get back to being someone who can beat Duke on the road.
jboy93
migata33 said:

This is really depressing. We are a pile of parts that don't fit together and love or hate Keller we aren't getting better since his hire. Sure...talent isn't exactly looking for Nacogdoches but they ain't looking for Toledo or North Dakota but they still find a way to win. Us...not so much. You wanna dislike me for saying Keller needs to go...go ahead but anything is better than this slop right now. Give me an up and coming assistant from a Power 4 conference and let's get back to being someone who can beat Duke on the road.
BTW, Keller was the coach when we beat Duke...just saying!
migata33
He was using both Underwood and Kaspers talent and not his recruits....just saying.
nacluth
Definitely the most physical game that I've seen this year. There are plenty of calls made but few underneath the basket.
nacluth
migata33 said:

He was using both Underwood and Kaspers talent and not his recruits....just saying.
Yep Kaspar's talent, Allister's talent, Fowler's talent…Keller won with all those guys.
Rev007
I have to tip my cap to GCU. They were hands down the best team tonight. Oh how I would love SFA to have that type of crowd and players.
No-look
Harrison and Foster were beasts tonight. GCU is a very good team. We're just not there
SFASawmillGuy
migata33 said:

Not sure if you're serious. Most of underwood's best players graduated and a lot of his recruits Decommitted. Basically keller's best returning player was TJ Holyfield, other than that it was pretty much a new team.
BigJack85
Just to much GCU tonight. Everything that is said about then is true. Deep talented. Play offense and defense.

For 15 minutes we didn't look that far off. I hope Keller that can really play the 3 spot Beaubrun would be so much better with a 3 that can draw a crowd.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
migata33 said:

Buy out is close to $700k. How much are you good for?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

migata33 said:

I think we're stuck paying out this contract with Keller on campus. I know the dude can coach and recruit(despite the fact that it's not working rn), so it'll be up to the new AD to figure out how to get the most out of the next two years.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

migata33 said:

I'll respond for him... Zero. Some guys type faster than they think. I assume he's probably just frustrated with the situation like the rest of us.
No-look
I want Keller and the program to succeed. Next year recruiting will be critical for him. Ever how many spots he has he needs to make them count. We have seen that he can coach when he has the talent.
SFA88
No-look said:

Harrison and Foster were beasts tonight. GCU is a very good team. We're just not there
They were the best players on the court. That crowd is always rocking but they were in an even higher frenzy looking to be undefeated at home for the year. One good play by GCU and the Jack's found themselves in a hornet's nest. Suddenly, they were the Washington Generals.
SFAJack_76
Resume' seeding up to #5. Losing on the road to GCU was not a big punishment. UVU got hit hard for losing at home to UTA.
migata33
If you think 700k is too much for a buyout at this level your crazy. If this was 1970 or even 1990 sure but 700k especially with all that UT money coming is is not compromising. Honestly I like Keller alot as he is a great guy and his family are amazing people. BUT...its a personality game and his is not attracting talent that can make this program consist. Kellogg when he was here and Humphries in womens volleyball do amazing work with the parts they can get. I dont see that with Kyle. Yes...its impossible in today's here today transfer tomorrow world of D 1 sports but I have seen enough to know we need a more connected coach to what kids hunger for today. Talent only becomes special when they feel attached and motivated to win for the whole rather than the one. If yall are happy with Keller that's cool but being a former coach and educator myself I dont see the connectivity to make the MBB program overachiever. Blessings my fellow Jacks....
Ljacks&Longnecks
Stepping away from Keller for a definition------You say a "connected coach to what kids hunger for today". So what does that mean exactly. What exactly do they hunger for?

The transfer portal is completely detrimental to any continuity and establishing long term commitments and it doesn't really serve many of the young folks that put their names out there only to find out no one is looking for them. Hundreds enter the portal each year so it is not a unique problem to SFA, but all over.
If a coach gets mad at you or if you don't play enough minutes in your own mind, you run for the portal.
Perhaps too many of these athletes were pampered and babied in high school because they were very good and HS coaches went out of their way to pacify them? Then in the real world life doesn't give them a pass 24/7.
I'm sure some go to the portal for legitimate reasons.

Mostly I'm just curious to hear what exactly this hunger is??
SFAJack_76
migata33 said:

If you think 700k is too much for a buyout at this level your crazy. If this was 1970 or even 1990 sure but 700k especially with all that UT money coming is is not compromising. Honestly I like Keller alot as he is a great guy and his family are amazing people. BUT...its a personality game and his is not attracting talent that can make this program consist. Kellogg when he was here and Humphries in womens volleyball do amazing work with the parts they can get. I dont see that with Kyle. Yes...its impossible in today's here today transfer tomorrow world of D 1 sports but I have seen enough to know we need a more connected coach to what kids hunger for today. Talent only becomes special when they feel attached and motivated to win for the whole rather than the one. If yall are happy with Keller that's cool but being a former coach and educator myself I dont see the connectivity to make the MBB program overachiever. Blessings my fellow Jacks....
I fully understand your position on the current state of SFA men's basketball. The current athletic budget isn't in any way able to take a $700k charge. Intriguing that you think that's not a lot of money. Call me crazy. I've been called much worse. I have yet to see anything that indicates the UT System is ready to give $700k for a coach buy out at SFA.

The new President and new AD will have a lot to address in a short period of time. Enrollment and budget is high on the list. Specific for athletics is a master plan, facilities improvements prioritized from that plan, execution of the plan, and filling job openings. I suspect the current men's basketball performance is at least six to twelve month down the list of priorities.
Rev007
I certainly do not know the answer to our lack of quality recruits. Perhaps we should recruit kids from the smaller rural communities who enjoy living in a small town. There are plenty of these guys that get overlooked. When we recruited those two kids from Houston Yates a few years ago and followed up with two recruits from Houston Klein, I was excited, but they all left quickly except for Calvin Solomon. He ended up transferring to UTEP. I wasn't around to watch Jacob Parker play, but I remember reading an article about his love for hunting and fishing.

Another issue that needs addressed is lack of player improvement. Who is responsible for teaching our big men proper footwork, keeping the ball up high, and setting screens? I've watched Nana since he was a freshman. He certainly improved from last year, but I haven't seen enough improvement in four years. These players should be fundamentally better from year one to year two in the program.

Let's talk about free throw shooting woes. Compare what GCU did in the last game to us. Other than Jossell, we are pathetic at free throw shooting. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Coach saying they don't practice free throw shooting. If that's true, it needs to change.
MasterAxe
Lose by 20+, move up in standings.

Keller playing chess, not checkers.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

migata33 said:

I fully understand your position on the current state of SFA men's basketball. The current athletic budget isn't in any way able to take a $700k charge. Intriguing that you think that's not a lot of money. Call me crazy. I've been called much worse. I have yet to see anything that indicates the UT System is ready to give $700k for a coach buy out at SFA.

The new President and new AD will have a lot to address in a short period of time. Enrollment and budget is high on the list. Specific for athletics is a master plan, facilities improvements prioritized from that plan, execution of the plan, and filling job openings. I suspect the current men's basketball performance is at least six to twelve month down the list of priorities.

Keller knows what needs to be done. I don't know exactly how he's going to accomplish it, but I'm confident we'll be better next year. 23 or 24 wins…. Probably not. But I think he needs to get to 20 - 21 wins next season and make the WAC semifinals.
migata33
His teams are always disjointed in some way being actual disjointed body parts or one day hitting 3's and the next missing every shot they take in key periods of the game. In reality the only thing a coach can do is teach and inspire and create a passion for the game by creating accountability and pushing their players to go beyond their threshold because they don't want to ever let anyone down as the team is their family. It doesn't help either that the student body could give two craps about sporting events. No diss to Keller but it ain't working here not because he is a bad coach but because his players are fringe choices mostly due to what he can get to play in an empty stadium in the middle of nowhere. Let's see what some new energy can offer...thats all I'm really saying.
Ljacks&Longnecks
So if what you are saying is that Keller has no chance to land the players that want to go to a Big school with lots of media and attention and real chances to go to the Dance each year and around the nation coverage of that person or his team that an SFA or Nacogdoches can't offer---then I would agree. But that would go for any coach that comes here. Your very points about lack of overall support and Nac being off the beaten path and lacking a real airport will still hold true. Perhaps---perhaps a young firebrand assistant coach somewhere could come in and recruit some different athletes that would ignore a Keller but would he bring with him all the skills needed to get them to buy in and stay any more so than they do now? We may find out once a new AD comes online. The next AD will want to put his own brand on SFA and I expect we will see some coaches departing over the next year or two, not by their own choice.

I don't see the support of students or locals ever rising to the levels we want to see. Most students don't come here for the sports and likely many of the locals would just as soon see SFA leave town---those liberal students and all. Look at the Ladyjacks. Continued success on the hardwood since the 70s (with some lean times here and there) and the crowds do not come. Perhaps if SFA MBB won 25-30 games every year for a decade then we would get huge crowds......but the coach that could do that would only be here 3 or 4 years then hired away by the big money.

Not arguing for or against Keller in this case, just saying the "negatives" about SFA location and fan support will not vanish under a new coaching staff.
No-look
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So if what you are saying is that Keller has no chance to land the players that want to go to a Big school with lots of media and attention and real chances to go to the Dance each year and around the nation coverage of that person or his team that an SFA or Nacogdoches can't offer---then I would agree. But that would go for any coach that comes here. Your very points about lack of overall support and Nac being off the beaten path and lacking a real airport will still hold true. Perhaps---perhaps a young firebrand assistant coach somewhere could come in and recruit some different athletes that would ignore a Keller but would he bring with him all the skills needed to get them to buy in and stay any more so than they do now? We may find out once a new AD comes online. The next AD will want to put his own brand on SFA and I expect we will see some coaches departing over the next year or two, not by their own choice.

I don't see the support of students or locals ever rising to the levels we want to see. Most students don't come here for the sports and likely many of the locals would just as soon see SFA leave town---those liberal students and all. Look at the Ladyjacks. Continued success on the hardwood since the 70s (with some lean times here and there) and the crowds do not come. Perhaps if SFA MBB won 25-30 games every year for a decade then we would get huge crowds......but the coach that could do that would only be here 3 or 4 years then hired away by the big money.

Not arguing for or against Keller in this case, just saying the "negatives" about SFA location and fan support will not vanish under a new coaching staff.
winning will fix most of that. We have had good crowds and top players. I would like to see a year injuries doesn't claim our two best players…looking at the top half of the WAC teams that are leading have a couple above average guys that can take over a game. Look at GCU and Tarleton…We don't have the resources that GCU have but we shouldn't be that far behind Tarleton…
nacluth
It's true that losing two top players hurt us this year. We seemed to be figuring things out the week of the GCU/CBU home games. Then kaput. That's been the major difference between competing for a top 2 spot and hanging out in #5. Of course losing those two have exposed our weaknesses as it would for any team.

We have major needs. Nothing new here.
TallTexan
Ya I don't think talent is the issue.

On paper to begin the season this team had a ton of talent.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.