UTRGV to SLC

1,373 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long before we follow suit? Hopefully not.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
What on earth are they thinking?
TallTexan
I don't want to go back to the Southland, I'm glad to be away from those brokies.

But I also feel like leaving was a dumb idea.

We'd have made the tournament atleast one more time IMO. Travel is easier. And they're getting similar seeds.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I don't want to go back to the Southland, I'm glad to be away from those brokies.

But I also feel like leaving was a dumb idea.

We'd have made the tournament atleast one more time IMO. Travel is easier. And they're getting similar seeds.

If ACU looks at it and we can bring them as package,,, maybe. Otherwise, later much.
TallTexan
Honestly if the Southland had hired the new commissioner 2 years earlier, I think we never would have left.

nacluth
Yep, if before the move, they had dropped Houston Baptist (now Christian) and Incarnate Word and brought on UTRGV and Tarleton, it would have been a solid league in football and better in basketball.

But could have beens. Don't want to go back now even if the WAC isn't the easiest fit for us.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Yep, if before the move, they had dropped Houston Baptist (now Christian) and Incarnate Word and brought on UTRGV and Tarleton, it would have been a solid league in football and better in basketball.

But could have beens. Don't want to go back now even if the WAC isn't the easiest fit for us.

True dat.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

When the WAC news originally broke, I thought it was going to be that HBU & UIW were the ones headed west for easier pastures.

TBH, I'd rather join the ASUN if the WAC didn't work out.

But I still don't see RGV's angle here.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

When the WAC news originally broke, I thought it was going to be that HBU & UIW were the ones headed west for easier pastures.

TBH, I'd rather join the ASUN if the WAC didn't work out.

But I still don't see RGV's angle here.

Saving $$ on travel, and not being cellar dwellers in the WAC in all sports except baseball. The same reasons why Lamar decided not to leave the Southland a couple of years ago.
Puddingman69
Truthfully, going back would be the single greatest or stupidest move that could happen. I hate to say this but we have zero identity when it comes to being in the wac (and the United for football).

Revenue wise I don't know how much money each conference makes or their operating budgets, so I won't say. When comparing the two leagues the wac has like half of a step above the slc and it's not a big one (take out gcu and they're basically the same league in terms of caliber). At least with going back it brings an identity and more success that could eventually propel the school to cusa.
SCH890
Puddingman69 said:

Truthfully, going back would be the single greatest or stupidest move that could happen. I hate to say this but we have zero identity when it comes to being in the wac (and the United for football).

Revenue wise I don't know how much money each conference makes or their operating budgets, so I won't say. When comparing the two leagues the wac has like half of a step above the slc and it's not a big one (take out gcu and they're basically the same league in terms of caliber). At least with going back it brings an identity and more success that could eventually propel the school to cusa.

This. That's the main problem we have in the WAC currently. We don't have an identity. Sure Volleyball would be up there but it's not an instant oh that's the powerhouse of the WAC.
TallTexan
I don't think SFA should make any rash moves for a while.

Every round of conference realignment has affected the WAC and it's not hard to see that happening again in the next few years.

We need to wait until the PAC 2 and the ACC get settled.

PAC 2 could easily upend the MWC, which could cascade down & affect any number of our western teams. Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see UNT or UTSA get a good look.

Same with the ACC. Those dominoes could cascade down across the South.

That might mean there are FBS conferences looking for replacements, it could mean there are Big Sky teams looking for a home,it might mean there's a whole new subdivision.

The only thing jumping now would do is make sure we were a little broker like our SLC brethren when we got back.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Puddingman69 said:

OK, someone's got to say it...

Puddingman, I love your moniker!! Thanks for joining, and welcome to the Forums. We look forward to more of your sweet, tastey comments in the future!
Puddingman69
. But in all seriousness this is a massive issue that can be solved sooner or later. Every time I talk to my dad about this he brings up the same deal. (Granted the southland back then actually had some high power teams). But he thinks it's stupid having to play teams in Utah instead of teams in our own backyard for the sake of not even 100,000 dollars
SCH890
I agree with the cost strategy in the end it is better to go to the Southland. Especially if the conference can stay local within the area. Do I want it to happen for us? No. Do I see it in the near future? Maybe.

Would be fun to dominate the smaller schools in basketball again... Not going to lie.
TallTexan
SCH890 said:

I agree with the cost strategy in the end it is better to go to the Southland. Especially if the conference can stay local within the area. Do I want it to happen for us? No. Do I see it in the near future? Maybe.

Would be fun to dominate the smaller schools in basketball again... Not going to lie.

Giving up the easiest pathway to get to the Big Dance was not our smartest move.

I don't want to go back, bc we really do have better peers in this league. But I could see it happening after the next round of realignment.
jboy93
TallTexan said:

SCH890 said:

Giving up the easiest pathway to get to the Big Dance was not our smartest move.

I don't want to go back, bc we really do have better peers in this league. But I could see it happening after the next round of realignment.
Would we not save literally hundreds of thousands on travel?
TallTexan
I'm not sure what the actual number is, but it's probably a pretty penny.

Just checked flight costs to Seattle and it's 300 a person at most flying commercial.

So that's 1000 people flying both ways a year.

Just guesstimating, but 125 people for football, MBB making 4 trips out west a year at 25 people per, same with WBB. Let's just say 250 to make it easy.

Maybe another 100 for other sports?

So as low as around 100k to probably 400k max.

It's not nothing.
SCH890
I honestly see it happening pretty soon how everything is shaping up. Everyone wants to find their forever home. Once Oregon St and Washington St find their next home I think the rest will start to shape up. Maybe even by this summer.
TallTexan
PAC 2 sorting themselves out and Clemson/FSU lawsuit & it's implications is likely to provide a lot more clarity for our level and bring a measure of stability.

So I'd wait for that.

If PAC 2 reload ends up with Seattle/CBU finding a home in the WCC, there's a real opportunity for us to pitch a Texas centric WAC.

Could be the opportunity to jump up to CUSA or Sunbelt depending on what happens. The 2 million would be better used to get mens basketball & football back on track until we see what the permanent landscape looks like.
TallTexan
If we're going to stay FCS & that looks likely for the foreseeable future, in my ideal world we'd just put all the Texas schools together. Maybe add UCA and Little Rock if we wanted to go to 12.

I may not like UIW and HCU all that much, but with some facilities/spend requirements I could get on board.

It's a shame you can't take 10 D1 schools and form a conference that gets auto bids, because the Southwest Conference with SFA, Tarleton, ACU, RGV, UTA, Lamar, Commerce, Corpus, HCU, UIW would atleast sell some shirts and get us noticed.

That's a bus trip league that covers every area of Texas except way out west.
SCH890
Exactly. I would be on board with all of that. HCU and IWU may be worth it for just football the rest is always a yikes.
TallTexan
Ya that's where I think some standards for spending would come into play.

Like hey, we're all in this together and we'll go talk to McNeese and SELA if y'all aren't on board with a fostering a general level of competitiveness in resources and facilities.

Something with some actual teeth since that's what burned the Southland in regards to adding them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.