2024 Soccer

1,338 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan
Appears to be his first HC role.

Wonder what his intended playing style is.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

It is his first college HC job. His style will depend on his players and situations. He knows SFA needs to get bigger, particularly at center back, and faster to compete with GCU, UVU, and CBU. He scouted SFA when UTSA played us in Nac. He knows the current team well.

Ben is a good hire.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

It is his first college HC job. His style will depend on his players and situations. He knows SFA needs to get bigger, particularly at center back, and faster to compete with GCU, UVU, and CBU. He scouted SFA when UTSA played us in Nac. He knows the current team well.

Ben is a good hire.

Good to hear. We aren't that far removed from a program that was winning conference championships. A few good recruits and a focused plan.
SFAJack_76
The conference championships were in the SLC. Winning the WAC is an entirely different level. We should make the conference tournament every year. Then, work our way up.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

The conference championships were in the SLC. Winning the WAC is an entirely different level. We should make the conference tournament every year. Then, work our way up.

I get it. Winning the wac is 3X harder than a SLC title. That being said, the drop to 2-14-2 was a gut check.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I get it. Winning the wac is 3X harder than a SLC title. That being said, the drop to 2-14-2 was a gut check.
It was a terrible season. SFA should never be there. I will be surprised, and very disappointed, if we don't see rapid improvement.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

One thing I hope we look at is maybe not scheduling a murderers row of teams to start the season.

Get a big name or two to Nac, play one or two on the road, then schedule the rest so that we have opponents on our level who we can use to get this team to gel before conference play.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

One thing I hope we look at is maybe not scheduling a murderers row of teams to start the season.

Get a big name or two to Nac, play one or two on the road, then schedule the rest so that we have opponents on our level who we can use to get this team to gel before conference play.
I agree that our scheduling has been too top heavy. I do believe that at least three of those non conference losses were winnable under different circumstances.
TallTexan
I definitely get it. It's super cool to see Texas or TCU out there on our field. That goes for every sport.

But definitely need a few games in between where we're not playing future NWSL stars to get our team on track.
SFAJack_76
Ben Williams and his wife Hailey are at the basketball game. He got to meet with the team and a few individuals today.
SFAJack_76
Coach has been busy recruiting. From Wednesday to Sunday, he put 1,600 miles in between Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, and back to Houston. Two P5 transfers have been secured. Working on others. Williams will not be outworked.

Christina Wakefield has been retained as an assistant. The other paid assistant will start after January 1.

The non-conference schedule will be much more user friendly.
TallTexan
Caught part of SFA vs UT Tyler tonight. I miss spring soccer TBH, the weather is so dang nice in East Texas for it.

I'm not enough of a soccer afficianado to tell you that we're much improved or running a new system, but the team seemed to be working together very well for a new system. Lots of communication.

UT Tyler is a nice place to catch a game.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Caught part of SFA vs UT Tyler tonight. I miss spring soccer TBH, the weather is so dang nice in East Texas for it.

I'm not enough of a soccer afficianado to tell you that we're much improved or running a new system, but the team seemed to be working together very well for a new system. Lots of communication.

The new coach has a cool vibe, on camera. Hopefully that "cool vibe" turns into some W's.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
ServiceJack88
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

The new coach has a cool vibe, on camera. Hopefully that "cool vibe" turns into some W's.
I've had several interactions and I think that he is going to help this team grow! I am excited for the season! Also hoping that I can make it down to Nac tomorrow for the game against Sam!
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I've had several interactions and I think that he is going to help this team grow! I am excited for the season! Also hoping that I can make it down to Nac tomorrow for the game against Sam!

Competing in the WAC should be the goal. Sounds like a guy with a plan.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.