2024 Softball

3,080 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very close to having a new head coach.
TallTexan
Here's the new coach. Jeff Jackson from Odessa college.
https://www.wranglersports.com/sports/sball/Coaches/Jeff_Jackson
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looks like an excellent hire. Great resume', that's for sure.

Hope he can bring a couple of those players with him, especially that pitcher.
SFAJack_76
I believe this is an excellent hire. Driven, personable, not afraid to do the work necessary with our current facilities and resources … or lack of. Coach Dickson is extremely high on him.
TallTexan
54-6 and Academic Team of the year are great foundation.

Seems like a winner and hope he wins big here.
SaluteJack
Hell of a hire here by Ryan Ivey! Big things coming to the program!
PurpleOut
Staff
His wife is my 2nd cousin (I believe).
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Bravo. Bravo.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
He's considering taking some graduating sophomores with him. Sounds good. Hope one of them is their top pitcher, assuming she's not already committed elsewhere.

EDIT: Darned. Saw she has signed with Belmont.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

He's considering taking some graduating sophomores with him. Sounds good. Hope one of them is their top pitcher, assuming she's not already committed elsewhere.

EDIT: Darned. Saw she has signed with Belmont.
His #2 pitcher signed with UNM.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Really looking forward to seeing Amiah Galcatcher the next two years. May be the best player SFA has ever signed.

NJCAA D-I Softball National Co-Player of the Year at Grayson JC. First Team NJCAA All- American. First Team NFCA All-American. NTJCAC Softball Offensive Player of the Year. NJCAA World Series All-Tournament Team. Batted .436 with 78 hits, 77 RBI's, 25 HR's, 9 doubles.
SFAXE93
Also pitcher Aydenne Brown who Coach Jackson brought over with him from Odessa College.

Last season Brown appeared in 32 games (175.1 innings) ERA 1.44 with a record of 25-3 and 1 save, pitching 23 complete games, 12 shutouts, 10.5 K's a game (262 in total) .128 batting average against her pitching.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Really looking forward to seeing Amiah Galcatcher the next two years. May be the best player SFA has ever signed.

NJCAA D-I Softball National Co-Player of the Year at Grayson JC. First Team NJCAA All- American. First Team NFCA All-American. NTJCAC Softball Offensive Player of the Year. NJCAA World Series All-Tournament Team. Batted .436 with 78 hits, 77 RBI's, 25 HR's, 9 doubles.

Also looking forward to seeing Amiah play. She hurt her knee in practice before the first fall ball game. The good news is there is not a tear. Hoping she gets released to start practicing again in the next week or so. We need her bat in the lineup.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Also pitcher Aydenne Brown who Coach Jackson brought over with him from Odessa College.

Last season Brown appeared in 32 games (175.1 innings) ERA 1.44 with a record of 25-3 and 1 save, pitching 23 complete games, 12 shutouts, 10.5 K's a game (262 in total) .128 batting average against her pitching.

It's against Juco competition, but she has looked very good in the first two fall ball games. We have the potential to have more quality pitching depth than we have had in several years.
SFAXE93
Many of the players who play in the WAC are from JUCO teams.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
I don't think I'm spitting into the wind when I say that I'm expecting a big year from these Ladyjacks. It'll be interesting to see where they're picked in the preseason WAC rankings. They should be near the top.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I don't think I'm spitting into the wind when I say that I'm expecting a big year from these Ladyjacks. It'll be interesting to see where they're picked in the preseason WAC rankings. They should be near the top.

I love the optimism. We will need our pitching to keep it close, while we scrap for runs.

But, I can virtually guarantee that Jackson is going to be a winning D1 coach.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well 76 had mentioned scrapping for runs earlier in the thread. So far runs have been hard to come by apparently as the Ladies are 1-7 at this point. Hopefully the bats will come around.
2 games on Tuesday vs Sam , then what appears to be a very tough trip up to Denton for a group of games that include Texas Tech, New Mexico, Minnesota and UNT.

Quick review of 8 game stats show a team batting average of .193 vs Opps of .292
Team ERA is 4.37 while Opps ERA is 1.58
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well 76 had mentioned scrapping for runs earlier in the thread. So far runs have been hard to come by apparently as the Ladies are 1-7 at this point. Hopefully the bats will come around.
2 games on Tuesday vs Sam , then what appears to be a very tough trip up to Denton for a group of games that include Texas Tech, New Mexico, Minnesota and UNT.

Quick review of 8 game stats show a team batting average of .193 vs Opps of .292
Team ERA is 4.37 while Opps ERA is 1.58

Indeed. 0-3 in Corpus this weekend while being outscored 9-4. Solid pitching. Poor hitting.

Pitching has been below what I anticipated, and not as good as I still believe it will be. Brown has not pitched to her capability. Brooke is working her way back from a knee injury in the fall. Telford has been solid.

Hitting is worse than my very modest expectations. Galcatcher and Benson have to hit for us to score runs. Galcatcher hasn't been close to what she was in Juco, or what I've seen in practice. I'm confident she will come around. Defense has been a bit better than I thought.

Coach Jackson has his work cut out for him this season. I believe a win or two, starting on Tuesday, will help a great deal. The players are still very positive about the coaching staff.
SFAJack_76
The girls needed this.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks drop 2 games on Friday in Denton but come back Saturday with 2 wins
13-1 over New Mexico and then a 1-0 win over Minnesota.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ladyjacks drop 2 games on Friday in Denton but come back Saturday with 2 wins
13-1 over New Mexico and then a 1-0 win over Minnesota.

Humongous.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Following the process.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The NMSU transfer certainly did her thing vs. Minnesota.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

She was what we saw in the fall, and what I've been looking for. She was excellent.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

She was what we saw in the fall, and what I've been looking for. She was excellent.

They need to saddle her up and ride her often when the WAC season starts.

I watched some of a GCU win a couple of nights ago. They have a big girl in the circle who is tough. Maybe the Ladyjacks can go toe-to-toe with them with Brown in the circle.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.