SFA (6) / UTA (3) - WACVegas 24 Round 2

5,172 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At U12. UTA on pace for about 109 points.
No-look
nacluth said:

Jossell hurt and we're not even trying to rebound anymore.
not blocking out
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Well 5 minutes went by and the lead extended. Hitting shots, but UTA exposing everything right now.

UTA just has soooooo much. Shot making , passing and they play defense.

Lack of post presence is hurting.
nacluth
Russell is unconscious.
nacluth
Sorry not 109 paceā€¦much higher. This is looking like the most points we've given up.
BigJack85
Never. Ever. Seen anything like this. UTA can't shoot like this 2 games in a row. This is insane. Are we that bad?

I don't think so. Or maybe I'm trying to convince myself. We beat Drake by 26. Shot the ball about like this.
nacluth
Wilson in for the first time because why not?
nacluth
Russell hits 30 with 8 to play.
No-look
nacluth said:

Russell hits 30 with 8 to play.
they better rest him for tomorrow
BigJack85
I mean UTA is hitting shots even when they are off balance. Just a beat down.
nacluth
This has become a practice. Just chunk up threes. We gave 113 to Utah Valley last yearā€¦.just waiting to see if this is higher.
nacluth
104-72 final timeout.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

This has become a practice. Just chunk up threes. We gave 113 to Utah Valley last yearā€¦.just waiting to see if this is higher.

The only bright spots I see:

Christmas

Jenkins
nacluth
Daveon gets some tournament points.
nacluth
109-78. Goodbye 23-24 season.
Jacks1989
Latrell with 19 points, he finished the season strong. This guy needs some help. Hopefully he stays. We need some shooters and a point guard.
RedRiverLa
In game radio still running this spot by Keller 'We play an exciting brand of basketball called PressU' Rob comes back from break 'that's your game, jacks 78, UTA 109.
JHard
Absolutely smoked last night. To be honest I'm not as upset as I thought I would be, UTA will never have another game like that. Impressive to watch really. Especially our second half, I thought we played quite well in most areas.

We had a slow start as normal, but scored 51 points in the second half. Any other night we're at least in a close game.

I was however disappointed in the effort in the paint. Maybe they were tired, maybe they were nervous. They looked intimidated and it showed.

I'll be interested to see how the offseason goes. 18-15 is a disappointing season. I know of course the guys and staff are just as disappointed, but right now if you look at Keller's tenure here...this is a trend more than just a random average season. I imagine we'll lose several more after Hall. And I don't blame them, to go through the system that Keller has only to play limited minutes on an 18-15 team...I don't know.

Our Ladyjacks are still in it...but I'm not in a good place in terms of how SFA Athletics is performing. Underwhelming coaches and performances, no AD currently. We'll see.
JHard
RedRiverLa said:

In game radio still running this spot by Keller 'We play an exciting brand of basketball called PressU' Rob comes back from break 'that's your game, jacks 78, UTA 109.
We have to get rid of the PressU stuff.
No-look
Post play was non existent last night. A grand total of two points and got out rebounded 40-21. Defense couldn't cover the threeā€¦. Shooters have off days but the defense don't get a pass in that area.
Jacks1989
Too many games of bad defense. Especially guarding the 3 ball.
MasterAxe
#pressU gave up a tourney record 109.

But, hey, we got a banger of a social media team. Get that engagement!
BigJack85
No-look said:

Post play was non existent last night. A grand total of two points and got out rebounded 40-21. Defense couldn't cover the threeā€¦. Shooters have off days but the defense don't get a pass in that area.

This.
SFA Jack Fanatic
To me, the entire game could be summarized on one play.

Midway in the first half, Nana had just scored (his only score of the night) and was jogging (repeat: jogging) back down the court while pointing to thank whoever fed him the ball. Meanwhile, a long UTA pass sailed over his head toward the other end of the court, Nana realized it, and started actually running to get back on defense. Too late, of course. Layup by UTA.

In my mind, I knew the game was over at that point.
FBK_Lumberjack
MasterAxe said:

The social media team is just doing their jobs, and what they've been instructed to put out. But last I checked, they didn't give up 109 points tonight. Direct the frustration at the people who did give up 109, rather than the ones who unfortunately have to try and spin the fact that it happened, lol.
sfajack05
Whelp another season down the drain. Another embarrassing loss in the tournament.

How did we get to the point where we are turning out t-shirts for a first round conference tournament win? Didn't we make fun of Sam for doing the same exact things in years past?

Feel bad for the players. Coaches are not doing them any favors, running them into the ground, not adjusting playing style, etc. Wouldn't blame them (the players) if they all left. Coaches making our social media department look like a joke with pushing the PressU hashtag.

Something needs to change and I think we all know what it is.
RedRiverLa
FBK_Lumberjack said:

MasterAxe said:

The social media team is just doing their jobs, and what they've been instructed to put out. But last I checked, they didn't give up 109 points tonight. Direct the frustration at the people who did give up 109, rather than the ones who unfortunately have to try and spin the fact that it happened, lol.

100 percent. it's a tough thing to try and spin this, but spin they must as they can only play the hand they're dealt.
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

Whelp another season down the drain. Another embarrassing loss in the tournament.

How did we get to the point where we are turning out t-shirts for a first round conference tournament win? Didn't we make fun of Sam for doing the same exact things in years past?

Feel bad for the players. Coaches are not doing them any favors, running them into the ground, not adjusting playing style, etc. Wouldn't blame them (the players) if they all left. Coaches making our social media department look like a joke with pushing the PressU hashtag.

Sell more booze at the games?
No-look
sfajack05 said:

I think the first round tee shirt is for NIL so I'm ok with that
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

To me, the entire game could be summarized on one play.

Midway in the first half, Nana had just scored (his only score of the night) and was jogging (repeat: jogging) back down the court while pointing to thank whoever fed him the ball. Meanwhile, a long UTA pass sailed over his head toward the other end of the court, Nana realized it, and started actually running to get back on defense. Too late, of course. Layup by UTA.

In my mind, I knew the game was over at that point.
Not to be contrary, because I agree with your premise about the game and generally Nana's ineffectiveness in the game. But, this play happened at 9:24 left in the first half. Nana scored his only points, was the only player on the court that realized the fast break was happening, ran to the far baseline in time to stop the easy layup and blocked the shot for a jump ball. SFA got possession. It was the one play of true hustle that I saw all night.

Funny it stuck in both of our minds for opposite reasons.
SFASawmillGuy
I maintain that the key will be player retention. We need our players to stay together to build chemistry. We've been having so much turnover with transfers it's been hard to get a team that is cohesive, and it shows with how badly we turn the ball over.

Keller does a good job recruiting talent, but as I've said, the Underwood teams or the teams Keller had that did great were teams that had been together and had a chance to grow together.
SFAJack_76
FBK_Lumberjack said:

MasterAxe said:

Exactly. The coaches determine the hashtag, not the media. Notice that some of our sports (go ahead and look at something other than FB and MBB, it won't hurt you) don't have a hashtag. That's because the coach doesn't want one.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

I maintain that the key will be player retention. We need our players to stay together to build chemistry. We've been having so much turnover with transfers it's been hard to get a team that is cohesive, and it shows with how badly we turn the ball over.

Keller does a good job recruiting talent, but as I've said, the Underwood teams or the teams Keller had that did great were teams that had been together and had a chance to grow together.
As I have posted here before, Keller has said that he never had a player leave that he didn't want to leave except TJ. Perhaps someone can provide another name, but I believe all of our transfers, other than TJ, decided to leave something before they decided to go to something.

The transfer portal over the next few days might be interesting.
SFAJack_76
JHard said:

RedRiverLa said:

We have to get rid of the PressU stuff.
As has been stated, PressU is all on Keller. Let him know.
SFAJack_76
JHard said:

Absolutely smoked last night. To be honest I'm not as upset as I thought I would be, UTA will never have another game like that. Impressive to watch really. Especially our second half, I thought we played quite well in most areas.

We had a slow start as normal, but scored 51 points in the second half. Any other night we're at least in a close game.

I was however disappointed in the effort in the paint. Maybe they were tired, maybe they were nervous. They looked intimidated and it showed.

I'll be interested to see how the offseason goes. 18-15 is a disappointing season. I know of course the guys and staff are just as disappointed, but right now if you look at Keller's tenure here...this is a trend more than just a random average season. I imagine we'll lose several more after Hall. And I don't blame them, to go through the system that Keller has only to play limited minutes on an 18-15 team...I don't know.

Our Ladyjacks are still in it...but I'm not in a good place in terms of how SFA Athletics is performing. Underwhelming coaches and performances, no AD currently. We'll see.
Someone near me last night commented that the second half looked like an NBA all star game. No defense, just run the floor and shoot. Only, one team had a huge lead.

Perhaps you should comment further about our "underwhelming coaches." We have a number of coaches that have significantly exceeded the results at peer institutions that have much greater resources.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.