2024 SEASON

22,864 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like only 2 QB's saw action.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/4/27/football-team-white-wins-35-32-in-2nd-annual-graylan-spring-game
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
ServiceJack88
SFAXE93 said:

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/4/27/football-team-white-wins-35-32-in-2nd-annual-graylan-spring-game

Mauer was on the sidelines coaching. He currently has a dislocated elbow.
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Mauer was on the sidelines coaching. He currently has a dislocated elbow.

Hmmmm. Hope he's good for fall camp. Yikes.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

So, the transfer QB from UNC didn't play? Just not familiar enough with the offense yet, or something else?
SFASawmillGuy
I'm guess both Maurer and Boaz were injured. Hopefully they're minor injuries.

McElyea and Rutherford both put some good balls down field and looked confident in the new offense. Rutherford got off to a really hot start too. I don't see him starting this season but he's definitely going to do well as the future of this team if he doesn't transfer.

The offense kind of reminds me of what Sark does at Texas. Lots of moving parts, up tempo, and does a really good job setting up shot plays.

The defense looks more aggressive than it did a year ago. Maybe the team is starting to gel and but into Mutz's defense more. Mutz talked about some young defenders who will be playmakers early and you could definitely see it. I would expect fewer blown assignments at least with the defense now being in place for 2 seasons.

The crowd was actually really really good for a spring game and everyone seemed very pleased with what they saw. I know we do this every year, but I think there's a lot to be excited for this fall.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

I'm guess both Maurer and Boaz were injured. Hopefully they're minor injuries.

McElyea and Rutherford both put some good balls down field and looked confident in the new offense. Rutherford got off to a really hot start too. I don't see him starting this season but he's definitely going to do well as the future of this team if he doesn't transfer.

The offense kind of reminds me of what Sark does at Texas. Lots of moving parts, up tempo, and does a really good job setting up shot plays.

The defense looks more aggressive than it did a year ago. Maybe the team is starting to gel and but into Mutz's defense more. Mutz talked about some young defenders who will be playmakers early and you could definitely see it. I would expect fewer blown assignments at least with the defense now being in place for 2 seasons.

The crowd was actually really really good for a spring game and everyone seemed very pleased with what they saw. I know we do this every year, but I think there's a lot to be excited for this fall.

The clips that I saw on Twitter, made me think we had between 400-600 people. That's positive. We had less than 200 last year. By my recollection. If we have a solid season (6-5 / 7-4) or better , I'd bet we get close 800 - 1000 next spring.

Maybe a more consistent offense will keep us in games. We win a couple close ones , like the year we went. 6 - 5. Certainly have some depth at QB. O line has a couple of returners. If two or three of the transfers (linemen) develop we might be able to establish a solid run game.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
There was a short clip on FB and perhaps elsewhere...about 3 minutes ...where Carthel talked about the game and the Graylin Spring family that came as well as the Cally Belcher family in attendance.

He did state that they held some guys out due to minor injuries etc
ServiceJack88
it was a very solid crowd and for the first time in what I can remember the LMB was in attendance. Made it an awesome game day experience.
the worst part though was the concession stand wasn't open. It was quite warm and a bunch of us were looking for a place to get a drink.
i think with a good season this year, next year will be huge!
SFASawmillGuy

Really good interview with Carthel about the new AD hiring, burning the hatchet, and the expectations of SFA moving forward under the new leadership. The history between the Carthel's and McBroom is actually pretty interesting.
SFASawmillGuy
Don't know how much stock to put into this but Maurer will once again be wearing a single digit number, and is the only QB to be doing so, leading me to believe he will be the starter going into the fall. No surprises, Carthel has talked about how much he's grown as a leader for this team and how much the team is behind him.

I still believe he has the highest ceiling, and maybe finally having a full season under his belt will make him the player we all hoped he'd be when we got him over.
TallTexan
I'm less concerned about his leadership and have more questions about his decision making on plays and whether that will improve.

Not to knock the guy, he plays with a ton of guts. If he can combine that with some passing & decision making growth, he could really cook.
SFAXE93
Brandon Lane decommits from Michigan State.
SFAJack_76
Boaz isn't on the roster.
SFAXE93
Other player names gone from the roster

RB: #21 JADEN STEWART 6-1; 220 (JR.)
TE: #15 CAMERON SMITH 6-4; 225 (SO.)
OL: #00 KELVIN SCHMIDT 6-2; 260 (R/FR.)
DL: #88 JONATHAN IPSEN 6-2; 250 (R/FR.)
LB: #15 NATE FRANKATHER 6-3; 215 (JR.)
DB: #27 MARSEILLE TAYLOR 6-2; 190 (JR.)
DB: #39 KALEB SELLS 5-11; 180 (SO.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.