ESPN+

6,642 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN will be launching a new subscription streaming service. , Southland conference games are included, so we may have to start paying for SFA games soon enough.

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2018/4/2/17190026/espn-plus-streaming-service-april-12
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

so we may have to start paying for SFA games soon enough.

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2018/4/2/17190026/espn-plus-streaming-service-april-12
That would be disappointing.
TallTexan
That would be terrible if access didn't come with the cable/satellite package.

Now for those of us cord cutters, it could make sense.
SFASawmillGuy
My only hope is that the quality of the streams would increase as a result. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but since the first year of the ESPN3 deal the quality has overall dipped. Everything from the sound quality, the camera angles, the picture quality, and the graphics have been pretty subpar. The first season(and the end of SFA all-access for that matter) we had very high quality streams with great sound, tons of camera angles, sideline cams, in game interviews, and so on and so on. I want to see that quality back, especially since I no longer live in Nac.

If we have to pay for the same grainy single camera angle with almost no stadium sound, I will be annoyed.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

My only hope is that the quality of the streams would increase as a result. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but since the first year of the ESPN3 deal the quality has overall dipped. Everything from the sound quality, the camera angles, the picture quality, and the graphics have been pretty subpar. The first season(and the end of SFA all-access for that matter) we had very high quality streams with great sound, tons of camera angles, sideline cams, in game interviews, and so on and so on. I want to see that quality back, especially since I no longer live in Nac.

If we have to pay for the same grainy single camera angle with almost no stadium sound, I will be annoyed.
WatchESPN is the laggiest app I've ever used. And I agree, the streaming quality is super low too. You watch something streaming on FS1 or other apps & it's clear as crystal with little noticeable lag.

And could we get a different commercial? I've probably seen the WatchESPN app 10,000 times. It's like look, you know I'm already streaming this game right?
nacluth
My guess is that ESPN3 users who have the TV subscriptions will still stream on ESPN3. If you don't have a TV subscription, then you can choose to get ESPN+ without buying all the other channels. Right now ESPN gets between $3 and $4 of a standard cable package price per month. So being able to charge more without dealing with cable companies makes sense.

Right now they're just testing the field with small market stuff. They did the same with ESPN3 when it debuted. My guess is that in 3 years, it will be the only streaming they offer.
sfa17
Im hearing they are completely getting rid of espn 3 for plus. Also the developers of the espn + are different from the espn 3 developers. They are using the same company who design MLB Tv and the WWE network. And supposedly those two streaming apps are excellent.
nacluth
MLB tv is definitely the gold standard of all streaming. Their high frame rate is unbelievable. On my phone even is better than any other game watching experience - except when I watch it on the big screen. If that's where they are going, then it's a good direction.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

They are using the same company who design MLB Tv and the WWE network.
Does this mean we can get away with hitting a ref with a chair? Because I'd sign up for that.
sfa17
Maybe It will come with a direct phone line to coach k during the games so we can give him our "excellent tactical advice"
TallTexan
That's a coming Sawmill Premium feature, right Isaac?

Similar to the cold war,there will be a dedicated phone line behind the bench.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

I think Isaac cashed in and sold the Sawmill after the tournament. Haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

I think Isaac cashed in and sold the Sawmill after the tournament. Haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately.
That explains the speedo in Cabo selfies he keeps putting on twitter....

And here I thought he was in a super early midlife crisis.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

That explains the speedo in Cabo selfies he keeps putting on twitter....

And here I thought he was in a super early midlife crisis.
You guys have me ROFL today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This topic should have been posted on the Premium forum, since it alone is worth the membership fee today!
SFASawmillGuy
Looks like the spring game will be pay per view on ESPN+ now....
sfa17
SFA_03 said:

You can sign up for a 30 day free trial and literally cancel it the second your account is fully activated. You will still have access to it for the next 29 days. Looking at the current content it is really not worth 5 dollars. all they have right now is MLS ,MLB (out of Market games ) and 30 for 30. You will still need cable/WatchEspn for NBA and NFL
SFASawmillGuy
sfa17 said:

SFA_03 said:

You can sign up for a 30 day free trial and literally cancel it the second your account is fully activated. You will still have access to it for the next 29 days. Looking at the current content it is really not worth 5 dollars. all they have right now is MLS ,MLB (out of Market games ) and 30 for 30. You will still need cable/WatchEspn for NBA and NFL

The trial doesn't make it a good deal.
If the free trial started in day one of football season, absolutely.
Starting a 30 day free trial for a scrimmage doesn't feel worth it.
SFAXE93
Do you think it will be on the replay option on ESPN3 when the game is done?
sfa17
True but the NFL will not be on Espn plus even when the season starts. They might have some exclusive documentary or show about the NFL but not actual live games or replays. Anything that is shown live on espn or espn 2 will not be available on the plus app.

Not sure 93.

From the photo they provide it seems they will have. College football(non Epsn tv games) and college basketball (non espntv games) that might be worth it when season starts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.