Any updates on the AD search?

17,069 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacks4460
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys, have we heard anything at all about the AD search? Any news?

June 1st approaches quickly.
SFAJack_76
Beuller, Beuller, Beuller.
BigJack85
Sergeant Schultz.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Sergeant Schultz.....

That's Patillo. I see nothing, nothing. Just keep on keepin on.
Jacks4460
I was told a national search was on. Using a search firm for help..
TallTexan
Are we getting any closer on this front?
tangerito
I'm not even sure they have interviewed anyone from the search firm which leads me to believe they will go with an internal option. If that's the case, they just wasted a bunch of money on a search firm.
BigJack85
Usually those search form contracts have a kicker and a deduction depending on who is ultimately chosen.
tangerito
I'm sure some do but from what I was told it was a flat fee.
TallTexan
tangerito said:

I'm sure some do but from what I was told it was a flat fee.

What kind of flat fee are we talking? I do regular recruiting not executive search, but if you aren't going to interview any of the candidates anyway I don't see why I shouldn't run the search.
nacluth
I'll hire you to do the search independently for a flat fee. To be clear, it's very flat.
tangerito
So they can say they did a national search.....
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'll hire you to do the search independently for a flat fee. To be clear, it's very flat.

I'd be happy to. I recommend we hire Chris Del Conte. Now, when will the check be in the mail?
nacluth
Already sent...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Already sent...
Sweet, I'm gonna donate half of it back to SFA to help pay for the new practice facility.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I'd be happy to. I recommend we hire Chris Del Conte. Now, when will the check be in the mail?

Thats some funny stuff dudes... Have me belly laughing...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Thats some funny stuff dudes... Have me belly laughing...
I keep waiting for those two to grow up. It may be a long wait.....
TallTexan
edstile said:

I keep waiting for those two to grow up. It may be a long wait.....

SFA will get a Big 12 invite before that happens.

tangerito
Not sure this has any affect on the AD situation but our esteemed President broke ground on a new home today. I'm guess he's thinking of retirement after he shoves the new AD up our you know what. Hopefully he won't make the internal move and get someone who's a proven fund raiser....like the asst. AD at A&M....He's my choice
BigJack85
tangerito said:

Not sure this has any affect on the AD situation but our esteemed President broke ground on a new home today. I'm guess he's thinking of retirement after he shoves the new AD up our you know what. Hopefully he won't make the internal move and get someone who's a proven fund raiser....like the asst. AD at A&M....He's my choice

Who are you thinking is odds on???
SFA Jack Fanatic
tangerito said:

after he shoves the new AD up our you know what.
I don't understand. Could you elaborate on that?
tangerito
My guess is Jon Branch. I don't have anything against Mr. Branch but I don't think he's a proven fund raiser. In my opinion, that's what the new AD needs to be. Just my opinion....does not really mean much.
nacluth
I think the positive most people see about Mr. Branch is that he's been a pupil of Robert Hill's for a while, and they have enjoyed Mr. Hill's success. I think the negative is that most people see us trying to make the next step to bigger and better things, and Mr. Branch's experience may not be up to the task.

To be frank, football is still king in most people's minds, and Hill had plenty of battles to prove that a well rounded program could gain higher success than just a football-centric one. However, when hiring a new AD, it's going to be hard for administration to not choose a football first guy despite what we've done here for 10 years.
SFAJack_76
tangerito said:

My guess is Jon Branch. I don't have anything against Mr. Branch but I don't think he's a proven fund raiser. In my opinion, that's what the new AD needs to be. Just my opinion....does not really mean much.
I sure hope this is not the case. Not because I have anything against Branch, but because I see it as a great opportunity to get a high performer that has different experiences and learnings. It is the right time to make a growth move rather than maintaining the status quo.

Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

tangerito said:

I sure hope this is not the case. Not because I have anything against Branch, but because I see it as a great opportunity to get a high performer that has different experiences and learnings. It is the right time to make a growth move rather than maintaining the status quo.

I am with SFA_76 and tangerito... We need someone with some new blood to come in and rejuvenate the alumni. He has to be an expert at raising money for the Ath Dept. I dont know Mr Branch and have nothing against him.. Just like SFA_76 said"different experiences and learnings" this is very important and with any internal hire they will be regurgitating the same thing..
tangerito
You never hear much about it but we actually do have Alumni that have deep pockets. Its just takes someone with the right personality to get them to dig into their pockets. If we had such a person currently I think that I would be on board but it appears we don't. Thus, look outside.
Jacks4460
Lots of rich Alumni that would donate if approached the correct way..
nacluth
No one's approached me yet...oh I just saw the rich part. Carry on.
Jacks4460
Greg Arnold is another one.
TallTexan
tangerito said:

You never hear much about it but we actually do have Alumni that have deep pockets. Its just takes someone with the right personality to get them to dig into their pockets. If we had such a person currently I think that I would be on board but it appears we don't. Thus, look outside.
Mack Brown for AD.
TallTexan
tangerito said:

Wow, that seems like big news to me. I'd have to guess he's like what, a year from retirement?

SFA is on the cusp of breaking through and has a large amount of potential for growth in enrollment & prestige. A new AD & new President would be the best move at this point. Bring in some outside ideas to capitalize on what Hill, Underwood, Keller & Patillo have accomplished.
OldSchool
I have sent two emails to Baker P about this topic and to date zero response.

This is a very important time for SFA athletics and would prefer we take our time to pick the right person.
Robert Hill will be hard act to follow, but like to believe the hat is full of candidates that would love to join the Lumberjack family. From perspective with the exception of football the Jacks are in the top tier of all sports in the Southland conference. New AD can come in, find the next FB coach, and continue supporting all the other programs and look like super hero.

Keeping my fingers crossed and say a nightly prayer. Guess I can say that in this site ?
djsfw57
"Guess I can say that in this site ?"

I can't imagine anyone having objection to that.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
I wonder if Rob Myers is being considered for the job....
TallTexan
edstile said:

I wonder if Rob Myers is being considered for the job....
I'm really hoping for someone outside the current athletic department, but we haven't heard a peep on this. Suprises me since Hill is slated for retirement next month.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.