Where they used to play

3,704 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stone Fort Pics

Aikman Gym (1924-1975) Demoed in 1975

Then on to
Shelton Gym

Then to WRJ

TallTexan
I'm excited to see what a WRJ revamp would look like.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

I'm excited to see what a WRJ revamp would look like.
TallTexan I hope it is a place that will have a "museum" for SFA basketball.. I also hope it has an old time feel with students like at Duke on that one side..
nacluth
Very cool. Thanks for posting!
SFAJack_76
I had a PE class in Aikman. Badminton. It fit my schedule.

Saw many games in Shelton. Always full and loud. Most memorable was standing in line for four hours to get in for a game against Sam. We lost but it was a blast.

Yep. I'm old. Thanks for posting.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I had a PE class in Aikman. Badminton. It fit my schedule.

Saw many games in Shelton. Always full and loud. Most memorable was standing in line for four hours to get in for a game against Sam. We lost but it was a blast.

Yep. I'm old. Thanks for posting.
Yes, games at Shelton Gym were amazing. A full house every home game. I was at SFA when the Jacks were ranked #1 in the NAIA, got upset in the National Tournament in Kansas City, and finished (I believe) 31-1. They averaged over 100 points per game, and that was before the 3-point shot. The starting lineup went 7'1", 6"10, 6'7", 6'6", and 6'6", with a 6'11" guy as their sixth man. They were featured in a Sports Illustrated article. The Jacks scrimmaged UT in Shelton in the preseason that year and beat them easily. Howard Payne was actually our biggest rival during conference play at that time, and St. Mary's (San Antonio) our toughest playoff rival. Some guys were in line 12 hours to get a seat before a couple of games at Shelton (I was one of them). Jacks had six guys from that team taken in the NBA draft.
TallTexan
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I The starting lineup went 7'1", 6"10, 6'7", 6'6", and 6'6", with a 6'11" guy as their sixth man.

I'd love to see one starter for us top 6'10. Just one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.