Robert Hill Retiring May 31

12,919 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack_76 there is a special BOR meeting in Katy this Saturday and on the executive session part it says to discuss the AD position.. I was told there would be a national search firm hired to help the BOR hire the next AD..

http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-03/board-agenda-03.09.2018.pdf
Thanks. May 31 is not that far off for a national search.

Is this usual language?

"Consideration of Individual Personnel Matters Relating to Appointment, Employment, Evaluation, Assignment, Duties, Discipline, or Dismissal of an Officer or Employee, including but not limited to the director of intercollegiate athletics, executive director of enrollment management, vice presidents and the president (Texas Government Code, Section 551.074)"

"and the president"

nacluth
Yep. Standard governmental boilerplate for board meetings.
BigJack85
I'm surprised. I figured we would hear about Pattillo retiring.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I think it's time, but we shall see.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

You know I have much respect for Dr. Pattillo and appreciate what he has done for our University. After a couple years of observation of him it seems like he has really slowed down physically. I have started watching the streaming of the BOR meetings and his mind seems just fine. I would think that he is afraid of retiring and stopping work because then he feels its all downhill from there. Not sure if he has grandkids that he could enjoy and I am not sure if he is even married. I saw him saturday night and it looked like he was moving very very slow. I have been getting active with SFA the past few years and talking to other businessmen in Nacogdoches the word seems to be that "We need new blood".... I am sure Dr Pattillo realizes he is gonna be retiring soon and just doesnt want to rock the boat and start spending.. but hell if you dont spend(invest in your University) you are probally not going to see any growth.. I spent 3 yrs in Stephenville and got to know some of those administrators and they are growing leaps and bounds.. They are marketing the DFW market heavily and building new dorms like madmen.. They expect to be close to 20K grad and undergrad by the year 2020... I know our marketing strategy would be different than theirs. Dr. Dattavio really needs to be looked at for our president if Dr.Pattillo decides to retire. Dr. Dattavio is a great leader that can bring all the players to the table to make things happen.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I have started watching the streaming of the BOR meetings and his mind seems just fine. I would think that he is

Where can the streams of the BOR meetings be found, as well as their schedule?
INiedrauer
Staff
It should all be here (including webcasts of past meetings): http://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/meeting-information
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
edstile said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I have started watching the streaming of the BOR meetings and his mind seems just fine. I would think that he is

Where can the streams of the BOR meetings be found, as well as their schedule?

I'm sure his mind is fine. We just need a fresh look at growth strategies and our academic programs.
SFAJack_76
Dr. Pattillo is nearly 75. I saw him at an event last fall and he was moving very slowly. I do believe his mind is fine. His entire life, post high school, has been spent at SFA. I greatly appreciate his love and devotion of my alma mater, but I believe it is time for new leadership with new ideas and different life experiences.

I thought Dr. Guerrero was doing some positive things when he was president. I don't know what happened, but I believe he got tired of fighting the old guard for change and progress. They got what they wanted with one of their own.

I am amazed at what is going on in Stephenville. When I was growing up in Fort Worth, Tarleton was little more than cowboy college. Good for them.
BigJack85
I think Dan Angel was the last president we had that moved the ball forward. Tito had issues throughout.... agree that he could have done something with a different board. When Tito was hired the runner up was a former president of Georgia Southern. That would have been a good move. We need someone that has a good network in Austin. Like most of the old "normal" schools we are starved of funding. As per usual everything is directed to UT, A&M and Tech. We also need a more dynamic marketing/recruiting team. I'm sorry but the engagement with Richards Carlberg has yielded little. I'd like to see someone with real proven success at a smaller school or juco.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I think Dan Angel was the last president we had that moved the ball forward. Tito had issues throughout.... agree that he could have done something with a different board. When Tito was hired the runner up was a former president of Georgia Southern. That would have been a good move. We need someone that has a good network in Austin. Like most of the old "normal" schools we are starved of funding. As per usual everything is directed to UT, A&M and Tech. We also need a more dynamic marketing/recruiting team. I'm sorry but the engagement with Richards Carlberg has yielded little. I'd like to see someone with real proven success at a smaller school or juco.
Man, I could talk about this all day, but I've got to work too, so I'll try to keep it short.

We definitely need someone with a good network in Austin. We're hugely left behind when it comes to connections there, we are even lacking in sending alumni to Austin as reps IMO. Without a President/BOR with good connections, we might as well call Tech about joining their University system.

I've asked a few times about our marketing/recruiting efforts, only to be told that we're taking a "comprehensive approach", with few details. I'm no marketing expert, but have some experience in the area and none of the outputs that I see would lead me to believe that we have a good marketing plan in place. (The Athletic Departments social outputs being an exception. Between the AD efforts & Isaac's team, we definitely punch above weight in the sporting news & marketing arena).

I can see a few problems with our marketing strategy just at a cursory glance. First, I'm not sure how committed our admin is to marketing. Great marketing needs great content, which needs an across the board commitment. If we're not committed, that puts RichardsCarlberg in a tough spot, but even then I think they've underperformed. I'm not sure who greenlit the huge billboard spending, but someone on either our admin or consultant team should have nixed them before they were even produced. We're talking about recruiting one of the most digitally savvy generations we'll ever see, and we went with "billboards"?

The "Lumberjacks make great X" commercials are well produced and we've got some great stories to highlight, but need to be widely shared to be effective. Plus, you'd likely ignore the commercial if you weren't already familiar with SFA, marring their effectiveness. If we had better name recognition, I think such videos would be highly effective.

We also need a continously functioning fundraising apparatus. Not something that spins up and down when we launch a capital campaign, but a group that's constantly laying the groundwork for upcoming campaigns so that we can raise money right out of the gates. This could be a great role for Patillo to transition into. We shouldn't take his commitment to the University lightly, and he likely has decades of connections that we can leverage.

I'd move Patillo into an emeritus role with a focus on overseeing fundraising/recruiting. Essentially, his role would be to make introductions to the fundraising/recruiting team & build support in Austin while our new prez gets established. Building up this kind of framework would leave a huge legacy behind for Patillo, as it'll be a difference maker for decades, while hiring a new AD or building 1 new building is more relevant to the here and now.

Ok, turns out that this wasn't so short. With the Atheltic Department & University, I can see that we're on the edge of so much potential, we've got the right ingredients for success. Now we just have to capitalize.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.