Robert Hill Retiring May 31

12,898 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
tangerito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr. Hill has done a great job promoting and developing our sports programs. His retirement is well deserved but I worry about where and who the replacement will be. The announcement said a national search is underway. Robert Hill had a lot invested in SFA. A graduate, owned a local radio station, then became SID while also doing a fantastic job on play by play for games, then assistant AD to the final position of AD. My hope is that we can find someone with equal passion for sports and SFA. Comments?
nacluth
Agreed. Big shoes to fill for anyone. Overall, John Branch the assistant AD will probably get looked at a lot, but I'm not sure if administration is going to think he's the next guy to take the reigns. If I had to guess, Robert Hill might have as much say about the next hire as anyone. They will probably look for a stud up and comer in the sports director world. Probably from a top D2 school, my guess.

Good luck to all.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Isaac re-posted an article about Robert Hill that he had originally posted last year. It's over in the 'Southland & NCAA' forum. A good read.
tangerito
I fear picking the wrong guy will cause a mass exit of the talent Robert has put together. I'm sure most of our Southland Conference brothers would enjoy picking off some of our talent.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Agreed. Big shoes to fill for anyone. Overall, John Branch the assistant AD will probably get looked at a lot, but I'm not sure if administration is going to think he's the next guy to take the reigns. If I had to guess, Robert Hill might have as much say about the next hire as anyone. They will probably look for a stud up and comer in the sports director world. Probably from a top D2 school, my guess.

Good luck to all.
I'd trust whoever Hill says to hire.
W1964
IMO we need someone with new ideas to build on what has been started here. The new guy should have proven experience in raising money. As a University we are inbred enough. We need new blood.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Good luck to all.
I'd trust whoever Hill says to hire.
Amen...
UCABEARS75
Hire Conque.
nacluth
He put his name into the ring today.

SFA AD field now includes Head Football Coach Conque
cboothe09
Conque or Branch? Pass...
SFAXE93
almost 400,000,000 views and counting
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Conque or Branch? Pass...
Agree.
UCABEARS75
I was kidding, sort of.
INiedrauer
Staff
At least one person (a former regent) has mentioned Conque this week. Objectively not the worst idea in the world. His son is a respected AD and fans would get their new football coach.

Doubt it, though.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

OldSchool
Robert Hill will be missed by all. He will always bleed purple and will continue to be a life long friend of SFA.
I totally agree Robert should have input to his replacement. I don't really know the Asst AD, but doesn't hurt to look outside as well to fill Roberts job.

Please don't tell me there is consideration being made to think the football coach would move into this job. He has done a horrible job with the FB program , why would anyone think he would be a great AD. Let him finish next season and let new AD bring in FB coach that can get us back into the top tier of the conference and get out of cellar where we continue to be as long as he is at the helm.

He will never bleed purple and just would be waiting to retire on SFA money.

Believe me SFA deserves better
OldSchool
I think people responding that they think FB coach should be new AD or folks from other teams in our conference hoping he would drag all our other sports down like he has done to FB team !

Lets get serious , the is a very important position to fill for the entire Athletic future of SFA !!!!!!
nacluth
Don't worry. Conque is never going to let us down or desert us because he has 0% shot of being our AD. He does have a halfway good chance at having a winning team next year due to a favorable schedule though.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

At least one person (a former regent) has mentioned Conque this week. Objectively not the worst idea in the world. His son is a respected AD and fans would get their new football coach.

Doubt it, though.
Where is his son the AD at?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

He put his name into the ring today.

SFA AD field now includes Head Football Coach Conque
We can no longer be friends somewhat anonymous acquaintances on the internet. You're dead to me.
nacluth
Speaking of being somewhat anonymous acquaintances...on the crossword app I play now and then, there's always one name at the top of the list: TallTexan. I just need to know, are you continually beating me in two games on the internet?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
Considering Clint Conque basically built the UCA program from the ground up to be what it is today, he knows how to build a program.

Then again his chances of being named AD are probably about as high as SFA leaving the SLC anytime soon...
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

INiedrauer said:

Doubt it, though.
Where is his son the AD at?
University of Arkansas-Little Rock.
INiedrauer
Staff
Everyone here already knows my thoughts on Conque. I have a lot of respect for him because he has a hard job.

SFA football is miles ahead of where it was when he got here in EVERYTHING but win/loss record. A terrible GPA is now one of the best, there's actual accountability, leadership and character people in the locker room, and some of the toxicity in culture is mostly resolved, etc. People who make an effort to know Conque are rarely unimpressed. From a management perspective, I think he's done a phenomenal job.

I've said that all along and it's the biggest reason why I still believe in him as a program builder. When you fix all the other things, winning is supposed to take care of itself. It just hasn't, yet.

I also realize all that means little to nothing without the winning. Do I think Conque would be a fine AD? Absolutely. I don't think that's going to happen though. I think he's going to get a season this fall to audition in front of whoever is the new AD, and 7+ wins will keep him in Nacogdoches. And if they fall short of that and he's let go? The new head coach will have it much, much easier for having followed Conque's cleanup job.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

INiedrauer
Staff
Chasse Conque has been really impressive for Little Rock in just three years: http://lrtrojans.com/staff.aspx?staff=1
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFASawmillGuy
If we hire Chasse to replace Robert does that lower Clint's required win total to stay?
TallTexan
I want to be as optimistic about the football program as Isaac is.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Speaking of being somewhat anonymous acquaintances...on the crossword app I play now and then, there's always one name at the top of the list: TallTexan. I just need to know, are you continually beating me in two games on the internet?
WordAddict?
nacluth
Nope. Just called Crosswords.

Sorry everyone for the thread hijack. Carry on.
TallTexan
Nope not me, but it will be soon. #ChallengeAccepted.

UCABEARS75
I must have missed that memo of Clint building UCA football from ground up!
OldSchool
Glad to see new blood coming to SFA football program. Thank each and everyone of them for making the right decision to become a Lumberjack. Now its the Athletic dept leaderships job to bring in the right coaching staff to make you successful. Easier said than done. Politics and money or the lack there of will be a major factor.
Cant afford to buy out old contracts so will have to hope we can keep from sinking any further to the bottom of conference before new coaching leadership comes in and plug the holes that have caused us to slip down this far.

Good luck to you guys and welcome to our family. Make us proud.
SFAJack_76
Hill has done a solid job and clearly cares deeply about SFA. I recently retired and can reflect on hits and misses in my career. Hill has both as well. He inherited two long term, successful coaches in Humphreys and Olson. Underwood was a great hire. Harper and Conque, not so much. I think Keller and Kellogg are wins. McNutt was a swing and a miss for softball. Perhaps that has been corrected. Cardenas has had little success, but the baseball program, and softball, are facility poor. Soccer and bowling are in good hands. Golf, not too good. College tennis is different with all the foreign players. We had one good year.

Academics seem to be okay. The ESPN3 deal is great. Upgrades to WRJ are nice. The new Jumbotron at Homer Bryce is nice. Too bad no one is there much past halftime to see it.

I am in the camp that our University needs some new blood with different experiences and ideas. I will never forgive the university leadership for not supporting and seeing through what would have been a great on campus baseball/softball complex. That includes the AD. Angelina College has better facilities than what we have at the little league park. About three years ago, a major capital plan was announced for the soccer field. Money was raised for the locker room, and then nothing. Perhaps it is still alive, but there surely is no active campaign.

This is an important hire that will clearly indicate the direction for SFA athletics. I look forward to more discussion on this one and any insight as to direction from those more connected.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Hill has done a solid job and clearly cares deeply about SFA. I recently retired and can reflect on hits and misses in my career. Hill has both as well. He inherited two long term, successful coaches in Humphreys and Olson. Underwood was a great hire. Harper and Conque, not so much. I think Keller and Kellogg are wins. McNutt was a swing and a miss for softball. Perhaps that has been corrected. Cardenas has had little success, but the baseball program, and softball, are facility poor. Soccer and bowling are in good hands. Golf, not too good. College tennis is different with all the foreign players. We had one good year.

Academics seem to be okay. The ESPN3 deal is great. Upgrades to WRJ are nice. The new Jumbotron at Homer Bryce is nice. Too bad no one is there much past halftime to see it.

I am in the camp that our University needs some new blood with different experiences and ideas. I will never forgive the university leadership for not supporting and seeing through what would have been a great on campus baseball/softball complex. That includes the AD. Angelina College has better facilities than what we have at the little league park. About three years ago, a major capital plan was announced for the soccer field. Money was raised for the locker room, and then nothing. Perhaps it is still alive, but there surely is no active campaign.

This is an important hire that will clearly indicate the direction for SFA athletics. I look forward to more discussion on this one and any insight as to direction from those more connected.

76' I largely agree with you. We do need some new blood and not just in athletics. We are in dire need of a new, more aggressive approach regarding academic programs and funding. I hope the new AD takes a strong look at funding sources and aligns properly. There's certainly room for some progressive viewpoints regarding academics.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Seeking any updates on the process for this critical hire.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack_76 there is a special BOR meeting in Katy this Saturday and on the executive session part it says to discuss the AD position.. I was told there would be a national search firm hired to help the BOR hire the next AD..

http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-03/board-agenda-03.09.2018.pdf
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.