New Thread Series: SFA Opportunities & Challenges

9,050 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello Sawmillers (Not sure we actually have a collective term to refer to the group?). I'm going to launch a regular thread of opportunities and challenges that are facing SFA as a university. Isaac and the team do a great job of keeping us up to date on sports, this is my small contribution to add in a discussion on the school. I'm hoping to launch a new topic weekly, but seeing as I work at one startup and am also starting my own, it may be slightly less frequently than that.

I was inspired by our recent discussion on enrollment, population footprint of D1 schools, and other side conversations that I've had on Sawmill. There's not a more passionate bunch of SFA fans & alums out there than all of you, so I expect the conversations will be great.

I absolutely love SFA. And I love strategic planning, utilizing data, and building coalitions. I've got a degree from UT too, but SFA is home, atleast when it comes to colleges. So I often find myself brainstorming ways to improve the school, our reputation, our prestige, our enrollment, our retention numbers, etc. I'd love to share what I've researched, get everyone else's opinions, start asking questions about strategic plans to SFA's admins.

My hope is that we can keep each other informed of important strategic initiatives and find ways to contribute, even if it's in small ways.

Here's a few thread topics I plan on covering over the next couple months.
SFA Enrollment numbers
SFA Retention rate
Endowment and Fundraising
University Prestige Initiatives
Ideal peer universities
Building Plans
Long term strategy
Board of Regents & University Leadership

I'm also taking suggestions/co-collaborators, so if there's a topic that you want to write about, or see written about, let me know. For most posts, I'll likely do enough research and fact finding to get the discussion started, and then we'll go from there. We're coming up on SFA's 100th birthday in 6 years, maybe some of the discussions will spin out of here into something tangible, maybe not. But I know Sawmill has the very best of the SFA fans, so I figured why not open up some conversations and see what sticks. Thoughts?

PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Thanks! Although I have to admit this Gif creeps me out.
SFAXE93
Does he like the idea of the thread or just being called a Sawmiller?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great idea. I, too, love SFA with all my heart and will be interested to see how this new thread pans out. Thanks, Texan!
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Does he like the idea of the thread or just being called a Sawmiller?
Undetermined. Maybe both?
BigJack85
I'll chime in soon. Hopefully I don't drone on. I'm passionate about this issue.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'll chime in soon. Hopefully I don't drone on. I'm passionate about this issue.
I was hoping you'd join us.

Maybe we should nominate Isaac for a BoR position as a representative of the Sawmill group. We'll hold forum votes before BoR meetings to determine which issues he'll tackle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.