SFA Fall 2017 Enrollment

9,457 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone heard anything about enrollment. Usually we hear something or a press release is done by now.

Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA88
Nothing yet but, you're right, this is about the time it is announced.

http://www.sfasu.edu/9119.asp
TallTexan
Does anyone know what our plans for increasing enrollment are?

I've heard for years that 15,000 is a goal, but anybody know what the official plans are?

Texas has a ton of kids under the age 18, something like 25% of the population, so we're going to need higher enrollments across the state. I don't see any reason why 20k can't be a long term goal, as it would put us over the hump from small-medium size university to squarely in the medium university range.

Other schools in that Ballpark:
  • UT Dallas
  • Toledo
  • Georgia Southern
  • Ball State
  • WKU
  • James Madison
  • Mississippi State
  • Ole Miss
  • Memphis
  • Boise
  • Louisville
  • Clemson
BigJack85
I think at this point the BOR would be happy if we could just get to 13500.
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

Or even 13,000.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

What's holding us back from that? Awareness? Classroom space?

I remember when I was at SFA, maybe 2009-10 was the year we hit 13000 for fall enrollment, but I think it's decreased slightly since then.

I'd love to hear thoughts on why our enrollment isn't growing, especially if it's by design from the BoR.
BigJack85
It's not by design. The BOR has engaged a marketing firm along with a number of assets to increase enrollment. The issue is simple competition and geography. When I went to SFA (1980-85) we didn't have a UT branch and an A&M branch on every corner. Also kids didn't spend as much time at JUCO's. There are a number of reason but it's complicated. I've followed it closely. Sammie's enrollment has jumped from 12,000 in the mid 90's to 20,000 now. They benefit from being close to northern suburbs. I lived in one of them for 10 years (The Woodlands). Kids that don't have a good idea of what they want to do just default to Sammie for convenience.

I'm a firm believer that we need to continue to increase admissions standards and separate SFA that way. I don't believe the BOR agrees with me......

Axe 'Em Jacks.
TallTexan
That's a real bummer to hear. I knew we were doing the billboards/marketing, but hadn't heard whether or not the efforts where working. To me, a full court press online marketing initiative similar to the intense data efforts that Presidential campaigns do would be far more effective.

I agree that SFA is fighting geography, but we still have 900k+ people closer to SFA than any other D1 school. We also have 2 million people within 100 miles. However, I grew up 100 miles from SFA and we had more people who wanted to go to Tarleton than SFA. The brand awareness just wasn't there.

I do like you're academics approach. Build up our academic bonafides, then use that to overcome the geography deficit. When I was in our finance program, I think that if it had been put head to head with other Texas schools, we'd be near the top ranking competive wise. I went directly into a Master's program at UT Austin, and my classmates where amazed that they had let undergrads invest money through the financial roundtable program. Same with our Speech Therapy programs, my wife was amazed at what her new coworkers from UT, Baylor and others didn't know coming out of school. SFA has a well rounded SLP program.We do suffer in number of internships though. I'd love to see Texas Tribune or Texas monthly rank Texas schools in each academic program. That'd be an incredibly useful ranking.

A winning basketball team helps though, people around the country recognize SFA now. The amount of recognition when talking to people has increased substantially.

However, I think we need a better overall PR effort. We don't even have solid brand recognition throughout Texas, not in High Schools and JUCOs where it matters.

Suppose we increased our admissions standards though, would we have trouble keeping 12,500 enrolled?
TallTexan
You wouldn't happen to know what percentage of students come from East Texas vs the DFW/HOU areas would you? That'd be an interesting figure to know.
BigJack85
All the information you want is on the website under institutional research. I don't know the exact numbers but I believe it is Houston 30% Dallas 26% East Texas 30% 14% other Texas (Austin San Antonio). Enrollment last fall was 12,750.
TallTexan
I feel like you've unleashed a monster by telling me where to access this information.
DFW: 24%
East Texas: 30%
Houston: 29%

In real numbers:
DFW: 3,060 Students
ETX: 3,825
HOU: 3,697

According to the stats, total Lumberjack enrollment has increased by 1,135 (10%) in the past 10 years. That'd be 2007 to 2017. In 2009, SFA hit record enrollment of 12, 845, followed by a record 12,954 in 2010. It appears to have dropped since then. The 1135 increase was almost all between 2008 and 2009 school years. The 2009 record beat the all time record set in 1990.

So essentially SFA has been the same size for the past 27 years.

What are your thoughts BigJack? Is this a failure on the part of the BoR, Baker Patillo, somewhere else? Because Texas population trends, albeit we're not geographically blessed, would seem to show that we should be able to increase our enrollment, even drastically(2-3k over 5 years if we wanted.

Also, with coming population trends, something like 1 in 4 Texans are under 18, it would seem like we have the potential to increase our enrollment should we choose to do so. So if we have a problem, someone at the University definitely needs to figure it out.
CLHawkins
I don't know much about this topic, but I did remember this initiative to increase admission standards. I imagine this is part of the stagnation. I would be curious to see the changes in retention numbers.

http://www.sfasu.edu/6382.asp
TallTexan
CLHawkins said:

I don't know much about this topic, but I did remember this initiative to increase admission standards. I imagine this is part of the stagnation. I would be curious to see the changes in retention numbers.

http://www.sfasu.edu/6382.asp
I'd love to hear if the retention numbers changed as well. And also, are we seeing any output in "prestige" increase from the changed academics?

I did see in the new US News the other day that we're one of the highest ranked public Southland conference schools. Maybe I'll turn that into a post.
BigJack85
I'm guessing enrollment is down. Usually if it's it up they report the numbers pretty quickly.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'm guessing enrollment is down. Usually if it's it up they report the numbers pretty quickly.
Per twitter, they said it'd be out soon when I asked. Didn't clarify what soon meant, but I'd bet you are right.
BigJack85
Haven't seen anything. My guess is that the best case scenario is enrollment stays about level. Tall, you've asked the question about who bears responsibility for our stagnation. I would say it falls on all of the stakeholders. I include the leadership of Nacogdoches and the county of Nacogdoches in that remark.

SFA IMO has squandered numerous opportunities to really separate ourselves from Sammie, Lamar etc. We have taken the low risk strategy and managed to the bare minimum. I don't know if I would specifically lay that at Tito Guerrero or Dan Angel. Just spit balling here. I could go deeper but this probably isn't the forum for that.

Axe 'Em Jacks
TallTexan
Agreed. It's so frustrating to see that the stakeholders haven't paired anything with the new name recognition winning basketball brings.

No major fundraising campaigns, no increased enrollment, no academic prestige increases. Heck, the population of Texas has almost doubled since 1990 and SFA has the same enrollment. I love SFA's atmosphere, its rural location, pretty much everything but the humidity. I just wish the admin and community would take up the challenge of making it the University that I see the potential for. A respected, first class institution nestled deep in the pines. We're not Texas or A&M, but we have a heck of a lot of potential that we need to capitalize on.

It's not that I think Patillo's done a bad job, but I'd like to see someone more innovative take the reigns soon.
BigJack85
I know "some" of the dynamics from when Tito Guerrero was hired. I am NOT an insider but did get some understanding of philosophy differences with that hire. I believe that was a mistake. It probably set SFA back a few years. I think Baker has done a good job but you are correct ,,, we need some new "dynamic" "innovative" leadership. My only concern is to still maintain most of SFA's family atmosphere which is what makes it special. We can maintain much of that atmosphere and grow at the same time.
TallTexan
Agreed, SFA's family atmosphere is part of what makes it special. I definitely think the University can grow and improve academically without losing that though. The disadvantages of geography is an advantage when it comes to being a close knit campus. Your only option some weekends is to hang out in your dorm with friends, unlike larger schools that have a giant ecosystem surrounding them.

I would like to see a more dynamic approach, even if it was just a regent or two who could advocate for a new approach.
BigJack85
Agreed. I really believe that if SFA took a more "sales" approach we could run circles around our competition. More on this later.
TallTexan
Definitely. We'll have to continue this discussion. Maybe on it's own designated thread so others can jump in.
TallTexan
When do we normally hear new enrollment numbers.
BigJack85
Just did. It was positive for the first time in a few years.
PurpleOut
Staff
Broke the 13,000 mark for the first time ever (13,144).
nacluth
Basketball team doing work!

Ok maybe some other people too...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I know I'm an outlier but.... I believe athletics has a minimal impact on universities in the FCS or lower tier FBS category. It may get us an incremental 100 students but that doesn't make the difference in a major way.
Pilotgirl
I'm betting the STEM building paved the way for this increase....WHICH IS AWESOME!
BigJack85
The largest percentage increase was Liberal Arts. All colleges reported increased enrollment with the exception of the college of education.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Broke the 13,000 mark for the first time ever (13,144).

That's so awesome. About dang time.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Just did. It was positive for the first time in a few years.

A positive trend. Who knew that was even possible.
SFAJack_76
The STEM building is a big deal.

Do kids come to SFA because of the basketball team? No. Does the success and national attention of the basketball team introduce SFA to kids and parents that may have little to no knowledge about it? Absolutely!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.