Hurricane Harvey

6,938 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I haven't paid much attention but saw this morning that it's projected to be a Category 3 when it makes landfall now. Be safe down there guys.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I haven't paid much attention but saw this morning that it's projected to be a Category 3 when it makes landfall now. Be safe down there guys.

I'm in southern Brazoria County, about 6 miles from the Gulf. Expecting 20-30 inches of rain here over the course of 7 days. Flooding is a certainty. Hope my miniature horses make it.
nacluth
Stay safe Ed. There's always extra beds in Nac for Lumberjack fans if you need to get away from storm surges.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Stay safe Ed. There's always extra beds in Nac for Lumberjack fans if you need to get away from storm surges.
Thanks, Ryan, but I'll have to stay and check on my horses a couple of times a day. Otherwise, I'd take you up on it.
cboothe09
Update from Ed? Houston is taking a pouding. Everyone let their guard down after Friday night and it has been going non stop since Saturday evening. My neighborhood is good, but all the area school districts are closing down for the week.
nacluth
Hopefully Ed can get us a good report when his power gets back on. My sister is a doc at Ben Taub in Houston, and she said they just evacuated the facility. My brother in law is a nurse at Methodist, but when he was called in 5' of water on the road kept him from making it.

They have been sending videos of the continuous helicopter rescues going on a couple blocks away.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Update from Ed? Houston is taking a pouding. Everyone let their guard down after Friday night and it has been going non stop since Saturday evening. My neighborhood is good, but all the area school districts are closing down for the week.
We are in Brazoria County (due south of Houston) and ALL evacuation routes from our county are flooded, so you could say that we're trapped. Flooding all over the area, but our home is not threatened at this time. Some in this area have already seen over 25" of rain since Friday.

That's the good news. The bad news is that much of the water from the rains northwest of Houston will be headed our way via the Brazos River for at least the next 2-3 weeks, perhaps longer. So, the flooding will undoubtedly get MUCH worse. The even worse news is that the NWS is now saying that Harvey could re-enter the Gulf and come back onshore directly over us, bringing even more rain. Don't know if my miniature horses will survive. Their pasture is already starting to flood. I have no way of moving them.

Before it hit, the experts were saying that this could be a catastrophic hurricane. They were right.

Ed
SFA Jack Fanatic

Rainfall totals so far around Texas, as of 4:00 p.m. today (Sunday)...

DAYTON 0.2 E 27.45
SANTA FE 0.7 S 27.42
DIXIE FARM ROAD 26.76
FIRST COLONY 4 WSW 24.83
SOUTH HOUSTON 4.0 SSW 24.54
LA MARQUE 1.8 E 24.53
BEAMER DITCH HUGHES RD 24.40
LEAGUE CITY 2 W 22.08
BACLIFF 21.62
PEARLAND 3 NNE 20.84
HOUSTON INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT 19.59
BERRY BAYOU AT NEVADA AVENUE 19.52
BEAMER DITCH AT HUGHES ROAD 19.28
LA GRANGE 10.2 NW 18.89
SMITHVILLE 9 E 18.89
HORSEPEN CREEK AT BAY AREA BOULEVAR 18.56
SMITHVILLE 18.50
PEARLAND REGIONAL AIRPORT 18.11
CIRCLE D-KC ESTATES 3.6 ESE 18.02
SUGAR LAND 1.0 W 17.97
CLEAR CREEK AT BAY AREA BLVD 17.84
MAGNOLIA 2.8 S 17.80
PASADENA 2 NW 17.72
WALLER 3.0 WSW 17.57
GOOSE CREEK AT BAKER ROAD 16.56
CLEVELAND 3.6 S 16.43
NEW ULM 5.1 S 16.14
PECAN GROVE 1 NNW 15.80
ALVIN 3 SW 15.16
AUSTWELL 6 SSE 15.10
VICTORIA 2 SW 9.37
AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTERNATIONAL ARP 7.96
CORPUS CHRISTI INTL ARPT 2.70
PurpleOut
Staff
Terrible stuff, I've been glued to CNN. Thoughts and prayers to everyone in Texas.
Txjack
I'm in fort bend county, Richmond/Rosenberg area...had to evacuate a relative a couple of days ago, we brought them to our home and was told that we had a mandatory evacuation. I had to decided where to go, but most evacuation routes were flooded or flooding. As we were packing an old neighbor of ours called from a nearby subdivision and offered to take us in. What a blessing! We are essentially on an island now but doing good. Still awaiting to see if our homes took on any water and waiting for the brazos to crest. Just a crazy experience! Praying for our neighborhood and all of the region.
nacluth
Praying for you. I'm supposed to go down to west Houston tomorrow to help salvage a friend's belongings, but looking on the maps, I don't know if there is a way from here to there. Really crazy.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
Txjack said:

I'm in fort bend county, Richmond/Rosenberg area...had to evacuate a relative a couple of days ago, we brought them to our home and was told that we had a mandatory evacuation. I had to decided where to go, but most evacuation routes were flooded or flooding. As we were packing an old neighbor of ours called from a nearby subdivision and offered to take us in. What a blessing! We are essentially on an island now but doing good. Still awaiting to see if our homes took on any water and waiting for the brazos to crest. Just a crazy experience! Praying for our neighborhood and all of the region.
The water from the Brazos where you are will be making its way down here in southern Brazoria County in a few days. They're saying that it could take 2 or 3 weeks for it to go back down. Fortunately, I'm in an area that should not flood (emphasis on "should not"). I evacuated my miniature horses to our county fairgrounds two days ago. Be safe, my Lumberjack friend. God Bless.
Txjack
edstile said:

Txjack said:

The water from the Brazos where you are will be making its way down here in southern Brazoria County in a few days. They're saying that it could take 2 or 3 weeks for it to go back down. Fortunately, I'm in an area that should not flood (emphasis on "should not"). I evacuated my miniature horses to our county fairgrounds two days ago. Be safe, my Lumberjack friend. God Bless.
Thank you, God Bless you too
cboothe09
This storm is crazy. Never felt so helpless. They are launching rescue boats in the middle of the street a half mile from my house (I live in Kingwood). My house is fine and we didn't take any water, thank God, but to see this happen to soo many people has been heartbreaking.
The scary thing is they are saying there is another storm developing in the gulf that could hit Texas next week. From Rockport to PNG, there isn't anywhere that can take anymore. So sad...
PurpleOut
Staff
Port Arthur got destroyed as the storm came back inland. Entire city is basically underwater. Heartbreaking indeed.

My wife has family in the Channelview/Crosby area. Most of them are ok, but one had to be evacuated this morning.
cboothe09
Hearing the chemical plant in Crosby (ammonia) is expected to blow tonight. Crews thought they had it under control, but something has gone wrong.

Prayers for your family over there.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah just woke up to that. Grandfather in law is a Harris county police officer. He's fairly old so he doesn't do as much anymore, haven't heard from him yet today.
SFA88
cboothe09 said:

This storm is crazy. Never felt so helpless. They are launching rescue boats in the middle of the street a half mile from my house (I live in Kingwood). My house is fine and we didn't take any water, thank God, but to see this happen to soo many people has been heartbreaking.
The scary thing is they are saying there is another storm developing in the gulf that could hit Texas next week. From Rockport to PNG, there isn't anywhere that can take anymore. So sad...
My sister lives in Kingwood. Her house is fine but she has been without power for a few days and, like you, she has seen the water all around her. So, she and her husband decided to go to their daughter's house.
nacluth
Just came back from a fellow luthier's house in Meyerland. It's amazing that we didn't see any standing water with as high as it was, but essentially every house ruined for blocks. Just big piles of furniture lining the roads. Sad, but looks like recovery is starting.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Txjack
I have been home a couple of days now (Richmond/Rosenberg), been cleaning up some minor flood damage, mostly to the garage and had on old "work car" get a bunch of water in it but feeling very fortunate and blessed. Friends of ours that live close to the Brazos are still waiting to get into their homes as they wait for the waters to recede. My neighbor is a cop in Katy and has been working like a dog this past week..he had to recover a body out of a storm drain during the week. A lot of heartbreaking stories and a lot of heart filling stories...I've meet so many people this week, people offering help, praying with them, etc. Silly as this may sound, I have never been happier than to finally be able to order a pizza today and watch a movie with the family. Just a rollercoaster ride this week, glad to finally be getting off. Still praying for those that are still affected.
nacluth
Ed, what was the final report from your house and horses? Anyone else have long term issues?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Ed, what was the final report from your house and horses? Anyone else have long term issues?
Thankfully, our house had no flooding, but dozens around us lost almost everything. One of our best friends had five feet of water in their house.

My minis are still at the county fairgrounds shelter, but not due to flooding. Someone else's horse apparently has strangles (a highly contagious equine disease), and all horses here (about 100) are quarantined. Dang it! If it's not one thing it's another!

And to make matters worse, SFA football has already stabbed me in the back twice!

Thanks for asking, Ryan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.