Texas Independence Day

2,765 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Proud Texan.
nacluth
All hail our mighty state!
65tosspowertrap
Commandancy of the Alamo Bexar
February 24th 1836
To the People of Texas and all Americans in the world.
Fellow citizens and compatriots,
I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna.
I have sustained a continual bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded surrender at discretion; otherwise, the garrison is to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the wall.
I shall never surrender or retreat.
Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism and every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days.
If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his country.

Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., Commandant

P. S. The Lord is on our side - When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn - We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
nacluth
Awesome. Thanks 65.
SFAJack_76
Good story about the Alamo Village. My family visited there around the mid-'60's. I was always fascinated with the story of the Alamo, and this place looked more like it was than the real one in San Antonio. Sad it is gone. On this anniversary of the fall of the Alamo, for your reading pleasure.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/last-stand-alamo-village/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
PurpleOut
Staff
Going to San Antonio next week for Spring Break. Visiting the Alamo is such a great experience, no matter how many times you've been.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Good story about the Alamo Village. My family visited there around the mid-'60's. I was always fascinated with the story of the Alamo, and this place looked more like it was than the real one in San Antonio. Sad it is gone. On this anniversary of the fall of the Alamo, for your reading pleasure.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/last-stand-alamo-village/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This article was awesome and now I'm sad I never got to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.