The Pine Log

3,615 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Txjack
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure how many of you have seen this but apparently the Copy Editor for the Pine Log decided to wear an UT jacket in her photo for a story.

http://www.thepinelog.com/opinion/article_8d2682a6-dd38-11e8-8359-eb278a8154f5.html

I understand rooting for a different team because of where you grew up or who your parents root. Hell I still root for FSU because that's where my family went but I don't recall ever wearing a FSU shirt or hat during my time there and especially not when I was representing the university.
BigJack85
Sorry. I just call that "weak". It's one thing if your Joe Smoh walking around campus with your LSU shirt or whatever, but representing The Pine Log is the same as representing SFA.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Ugh...such poor taste. But doesn't surprise me with what I have heard about The Pine Log as of the last few years.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hope I'm wrong, but sounds like an immature young lady who doesn't appreciate or love our great university. Sadly, could be typical of hundreds of students who never come out to support our athletic teams.
SFAJack_76
I grew up in a burnt orange house, and this is just wrong. If I go to an event involving UT, burnt orange it is. Otherwise, always SFA purple.

This is very disappointing.
Ljacks&Longnecks
As a native Austinite who has never liked UT it certainly didn't do anything for me. Could have at least worn a non descript top for the picture.
I believe it does show why there seems to be a ceiling on athletic support at SFA from the student body...many come here to school but still follow the "big" schools that their family etc have always followed. Of course you should cheer for and follow the schools/teams that you like but I don't get not getting very involved in the endeavors of the university that you are attending at or near the level that you support team X.
BigJack85
In response I'll say that the needle has moved significantly since my days circa 1980-1985. It was just as common to see an LSU or A&M shirt. Now,,, today,,,, I'd say you'd see 80% purple. 1980 it was at best 40% Purple. Mostly, UT shirts when I was there. Our student support is better than all but possibly McNeese St.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'd say you are probably right BigJack in that it has changed somewhat since then....when I started in 76 SFA was an NAIA school so many likely had no idea what NAIA was or knew many of our opponents.
I'd think that since we have been NCAA for awhile now and compete with Div 1 schools in all sports and hit the national stage in MBB that there would be much more awareness and support of our athletics programs. Work in progress.
drhuggybear
I have to agree that this is poor taste and just flat out not thinking on her part. You just have to have put some thought into things. I was on work trip and had a co-worker traveling with me. Co-worker shows up in the lobby of the hotel before dinner wearing a golf shirt of a competing vendor. Told them to go change because it was disrespectful to the other vendor to wear the shirt - especially when this vendor invited us to dinner. He said that was the only casual shirt he had. I gave him two choices, we stop and he buys a new shirt on the way to the restaurant or he doesn't go. Harsh I know ...
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
Txjack
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I'd say you are probably right BigJack in that it has changed somewhat since then....when I started in 76 SFA was an NAIA school so many likely had no idea what NAIA was or knew many of our opponents.
I'd think that since we have been NCAA for awhile now and compete with Div 1 schools in all sports and hit the national stage in MBB that there would be much more awareness and support of our athletics programs. Work in progress.
I agree...I was there starting in the late 80's and I see much more purple at events. We can thank MBB for helping to make it cool to be a Lumberjack. I always thought our mascot was cool, obscure, different.

We took our kids to Disneyworld not to long after we beat West Virginia and I was wearing my SFA BB garb, I had many people ask me about SFA. Several more flashed me the axe. Well, thru my middle aged eyes, it looked like an axe....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.